What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
One things for sure that crowd looked TERRIBLE on TV, and is a shocking representation of the state of the game is sydney. Maybe they should use cardbard fans?

Past trends in crowds - whatever. its the here and now that counts. The woefull "doom and gloom" is JUSTIFIED.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sick to death of the negative, doom and gloom that goes on in these forums.

The needless concentration of negativity that seems to stalk Rugby league is one of our game's biggest problems.

It turns off sponsors and potential fans. This is not to say there aren't issues in the game but, FFS, lighten up people.

Roy Master wrote a great article on this doom and gloom a few weeks back... http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...-all-over-again/2008/05/30/1211654313577.html

yes i agree with that.

im really starting to lose the respect i had for gallop.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Crowd wasn't that bad actually, historically speaking. Just look at the last 5 years-

Roosters (home) vs Panthers (away)
2003- 9854
2004- 20076
2005- 10742
2006- no home game
2007- 11326
2008- 9724

2004 is the only 'decent' crowd and that was in round 23, smack bang in the high part of the crowd-pulling season. Considering last night is smack bang in the 2nd worst crowd-pulling round of the season the figure is right on par. Historically speaking.

For a better idea of how the Roosters go in general, here's their scatter chart organised by team-

Roosters.gif

You'll notice that, with the once-off round 23 2004 result taken out, the Roosters vs Panthers clash is about as popular as the Roosters vs Storm clash for crowds with only the Roosters vs Cowboys or Titans game being worse.

Last edited:
Crowd wasn't that bad actually, historically speaking. Just look at the last 5 years-

2003- 9854
2004- 20076
2005- 10742
2006- no home game
2007- 11326
2008- 9724

2004 is the only 'decent' crowd and that was in round 23, smack bang in the high part of the crowd-pulling season. Considering last night is smack bang in the 2nd worst crowd-pulling round of the season the figure is right on par. Historically speaking.

For a better idea of how the Roosters go in general, here's their scatter chart organised by team-

View attachment 85

You'll notice that, with the once-off round 23 2004 result taken out, the Roosters vs Panthers clash is about as popular as the Roosters vs Storm clash for crowds with only the Roosters vs Cowboys or Titans game being worse.

In 04, the Penrith fans obviously travelled as they were reining premiers but the cameraman had trouble picking out their fans last night. No dig at Panthers fans, it is a bloody long way to travel.

VictoryFC

Bench
Hey, not a troll. Dont follow rugby now, used to be a fan when I lived in Auckland, but moving to Melbourne I never quite got caught up by the Storm.
My views are coming from a general sports fan, and as someone who enjoys rugby league when they do eventually air it on TV in Melbourne (last night early start at 11:50!).

The thing that makes rugby league the most unattractive, in my mind,
are empty seats. Not low crowds...but empty seats. The suburban grounds look great on TV. No doubt about it. Im sure this wont any revelation, but 10,000 in a 12,000 seater looks much better than 10,000 in a 45,000. For me, and Im sure there are other people out there aswell, find stadiums that are filled as a big attraction.

That may sound insane, and completely moronic, but its true; Ill be much more invested in a game of any sport if there is a good crowd - because that suggests that there is passion, real support, and a real attraction to the game. English Premier League teams dont kid themselves. Manchester fills out 75,000 19 times a year in the regular season. Portsmouth on the other hand, fill out there 20,000 seater capacity 19 times a year. But what you get there is the sense that its very desirable to be following these teams. Despite there being a 55,000 difference. If Portsmouth had a 75,000 seater, and could only hit 30,000, then that would automotically take some of the gloss off. Visually, its appealing on television, and for the people in the stadiums who are as a result encouraged, and who cannot wait to attend again.

I realize the NRL clubs get money from SFS and whatnot, but its a big problem - on one hand they need to maximize money like any sporting club, and on the other they want their suburban atmospheres, capacity stadiums, and whatnot.

I dunno what the solution is, but a regular person who doesnt have any personal investment in league would look at last nights game and form a negative perception of the game, despite the product on the field.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I dunno what the solution is, but a regular person who doesnt have any personal investment in league would look at last nights game and form a negative perception of the game, despite the product on the field.
yer i couldn't agree more,
young kids will think that no one is watching and will prefer not to watch

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah criticising other people for being narky. What day have we arrived at?

Play the ball, not the man, and respond to what I'm saying instead of who you perceive me to be.

While last night's crowd was disappointing and there are a number of issues confronting RL at the moment... it's becoming a bit OTT.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Ffs, you have to be taking the piss, no one is this stupid.

Thats what i think.

Your wrong, ill just flat out and say it.

Your opinion that having one Friday night game makes it more special or attracts better crowds is wrong aswell, flat out wrong.

mark123

Juniors
tonights crowd only adds to the pressure to shift Easts,send them to the CC,under 10000 the excuses should be good

exactly. just wait for all the excuses.

and they think that sydney doesnt have a problem with its interest to fans, the number of games, stadiums, finances, perception, juniors,

its all fine, you guys just keep polishing the brass on the titanic! haha

mark123

Juniors
What pressure? There hasnt been pressure on Easts to re-locate.

behind closed doors i bet there has been.

come on, 28 mil in debt

its serviceable, but to allow it to get to that level, is either 1. poor management, or 2. poor management and a league team incapable of making money.

its 2, dont rack your brains

mark123

Juniors
Christ some people are negative. This year seems to be the most depressing because the most cynical and narky posters have emerged to speak the doom of RL as we know it, compounding the media's already aggressive stance on all things anti-RL.

This year is set for another solid, near-record year on crowds and before 2003-4ish the crowd we see now had not been seen for a lengthy amount of time... ever.

This doomsaying is giving me the sh*ts. Crowds will upturn toward the end of the year and people will still whinge that it's not good enough... I'm sick of it. The Roosters got a sh*t crowd tonight, sure. But in retrospect it's a solid result given the averages around this time of year in previous seasons.

LOL

ever the optimist!

sydney is a shank, my friend.

titans got 20k on a raining and cold night on the gold coast, and 15 origin players were out of the teams!!!

sydney can get less teams and less games, and better stadia, and treat their fans for once.

mark123

Juniors
Well there should be.
The problem we have here is too many teams in the one small geographical area. I'm talking all teams and codes. Swans, Waratahs, Roosters. Rabittohs all chasing fans in that inner city/eastern suburbs area.
It's time for merger, create a super club to take on the other codes.

BINGO!!!

Hello, give this man a medal!

You hit the button. Its labeled "success in eastern sydney".

Play the ball, not the man, and respond to what I'm saying instead of who you perceive me to be.

While last night's crowd was disappointing and there are a number of issues confronting RL at the moment... it's becoming a bit OTT.

Timmah....you crazy!

Chapsta

Juniors

2003- 9854
2004- 20076
2005- 10742
2006- no home game
2007- 11326
2008- 9724

View attachment 85

It's suprising to see Dragons & Broncos lift Roosters crowds above all else. So much for the Easts vs Souths rivalry...

Red Bear

Referee
behind closed doors i bet there has been.

come on, 28 mil in debt

its serviceable, but to allow it to get to that level, is either 1. poor management, or 2. poor management and a league team incapable of making money.

its 2, dont rack your brains
28 mil in debt
Its probably the loan they have to do construction work through their leagues club(not sure what exactly, building a resort or something, looking at other revenue streams).
Do you know the concept of a Mortgage?
Similar to that mark, on a larger scale.
Moron

Red Bear

Referee
Well there should be.
The problem we have here is too many teams in the one small geographical area. I'm talking all teams and codes. Swans, Waratahs, Roosters. Rabittohs all chasing fans in that inner city/eastern suburbs area.
It's time for merger, create a super club to take on the other codes.
How bout we merge Canterbury and Parramatta while we are at it? Create one super western club eh?

FMD

gurudave

Juniors
sorry........"too cold" just doesn't cut it. southerners need to htfu. i kept cringing as the foxsports commentators tried to use the cold weather as an excuse for poor crowd. it wasn't even raining. now the new zealand game last week or the week before (cant remember) is an example of weather which may have a detrimental effect on the crowd.

mark123

Juniors
28 mil in debt
Its probably the loan they have to do construction work through their leagues club(not sure what exactly, building a resort or something, looking at other revenue streams).
Do you know the concept of a Mortgage?
Similar to that mark, on a larger scale.
Moron

lets talk like you....ready?

derrr....you idiot big red loser bear, deeerr.....you can't read, you total spastic!!!! deeerr,,,,, uuuummmmm

Now, for real.

I did say it was servicable. Do you know what that means?

It means I know they are not insolvent.

And I know too they dont turn a profit on their normal business activities.

You suck man.

And this construction work better pay off. Its a pity they have no fans though.

IS THERE A CLUB IN SYDNEY THAT HAS AMBITION, FANS, MONEY AND A SOLID FUTURE?

NO...but you will find many with but one of any of those qualities...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts