What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know the Bunnies could piss off out of Sydney to, doesnt matter which of the geniuss leave just as long as one of them does. The Bunnies crowds are just as much of a disgrace.

Mate we have a decent average for a Sydney team and we are running stone motherless and have been since round 3. If we were in the top five like the Roosters, our crowds would be much better.

Brycey

Juniors
Souths are capable of pulling decent crowds dependant on results. The Roosters rarely crack 15k even when the going is good lately - he has a point.
Roosters have had luck of the draw go against them this year. Had the Souths and Dogs game first up this year been our home games it would be us registering the 30k crowds.

Not complaining, its just luck of the draw as stated. Look at crowd averages in total (H&A), we're doing fine (in the whole scheme of things), our supporter base lays out west.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And the Souths average is still better than the Roosters... go figure.

South Sydney 2007
R2 v Eels 15165
R4 v Dogs 34315
R5 v Newcastle @ BTS 18321
R7 v NZ 13044
R9 v Canberra 11088
R13 v Penrith 5053 (June LWE Storms)
R15 v Cronulla 9568
R17 v Melbourne @ BTS 14288
R19 v NQ 10022
R20 v Titans 13351
R23 v Manly 12087
R25 v Roosters 32125

Total: 188,427
Average: 15,702

Courtesy stats.rleague.com

If Souths were in the 8 each week like the Roosters are, we would average 25,000

t-ba

Post Whore
And the Souths average is still better than the Roosters... go figure.

Indeed. And with the two clubs sharing a catchment, it's clear that one needs to go for the Greater Good* of the game.

*Greater Good is a registered trademark of everyone who wants to cut down Sydney clubs, with the exception of their own of course.

Timmah

Staff member
Roosters have had luck of the draw go against them this year. Had the Souths and Dogs game first up this year been our home games it would be us registering the 30k crowds.

Not complaining, its just luck of the draw as stated. Look at crowd averages in total (H&A), we're doing fine (in the whole scheme of things), our supporter base lays out west.

We've drawn the short straw also, our opening matches against Parra & Souths at ANZ were both "away" fixtures, but our average is easily the highest of all NSW clubs bar Newcastle.

t-ba

Post Whore
If Souths were in the 8 each week like the Roosters are, we would average 25,000

20-25k.

Roosters are suffering from the apathy that comes with being the most succesful Sydney club of the last decade. A few generations in the wilderness and I'm sure they'd draw big crowds when they came good too.

Timmah

Staff member
Somewhere in that gap, absolutely. I dare say if the 'Dogs were going better they'd be not far short of 20,000 as opposed to the 17k we're on now.

t-ba

Post Whore
We've drawn the short straw also, our opening matches against Parra & Souths at ANZ were both "away" fixtures, but our average is easily the highest of all NSW clubs bar Newcastle.

Yeah, we've drawn the Short Straw too. We don't have Arko to pilfer ARL funds anymore to build us some new grandstands!

But you're not. You're coming last.

And we still have a higher average than you guys so go figure.

You missed my point in your pathetic attempt to have a dig at Souths. I said, yes we are coming last, I actually admitted to that and then the important part of the statement was made so bear with me, I then said if we were in the top 8 week in week out like the Roosters, our crowd's would sh!t on yours. Timmah then backed me up with some facts.

The Roosters had everything going for them on the weekend - Playing to secure first place, almost full strength team, playing a team in decent form who are also sydney based, prime Friday night fixture and still couldn't crack 10,000.

By stating that I think the Roosters should move to the coast, I am not having a crack at them. The Coast would give them the only things that they lack - Junior's and a large supporter base who will attend games. While there is no doubt that they have a large supporer base, I think as was mentioned, these supporters have become apathetic.

Timmah

Staff member
They usually get a decent following when they bring their Knights fixture up here, I think it would be a good idea. Might even make me like them better, being my local team.

EDIT: Roosters @ Bluetongue

2000 v Northern Eagles 14353
2004 v North Queensland 16127
2005 v Canberra 16253
2006 v Newcastle 18124
2007 v Newcastle 11264
2008 v Newcastle 14176

Last edited:
Somewhere in that gap, absolutely. I dare say if the 'Dogs were going better they'd be not far short of 20,000 as opposed to the 17k we're on now.

This is why crowd numbers are so poor in Sydney. The teams that have supporters who actually go to the games like South's, Dragons and the Dogs are having poor season's, while the teams who's supporters are renowned for not going to the Footy - Roosters, Manly, Sharks are all going reasonably well. Now that the Dragons have hit some form, they will bring the crowd averages up.

Brycey

Juniors
And we still have a higher average than you guys so go figure.

You missed my point in your pathetic attempt to have a dig at Souths. I said, yes we are coming last, I actually admitted to that and then the important part of the statement was made so bear with me, I then said if we were in the top 8 week in week out like the Roosters, our crowd's would sh!t on yours. Timmah then backed me up with some facts.

The Roosters had everything going for them on the weekend - Playing to secure first place, almost full strength team, playing a team in decent form who are also sydney based, prime Friday night fixture and still couldn't crack 10,000.
I am not having a dig at them.

You wanted to crap on about hypertheticals, no revelance...what is, is.

I say quite the opposite, the fact that you were competitive for the first time in a long time contributed to higher crowds, the hype etc. Once again this is just hypertheticals though.

I find it amusing that you cry foul for me having a dig at your team yet you quite conveniently forget the other 7 clubs in Sydney...Manly, a team higher than us and last years GFist, are you whinging about their crowds.

All Sydney teams crowds are pathetic, and if you were regular finals competitiors I would say complacency would grow into your fanbase as well as it has the other 8 clubs in Sydney.

You're higher than us for now, still the year to play out. Then we'll see who is higher.

Timmah

Staff member
One would hope so. I'm going with the other half to Saints/Pemriff on Friday night but I wouldn't hold my breath for more than 10-12k.

Brycey

Juniors
They usually get a decent following when they bring their Knights fixture up here, I think it would be a good idea. Might even make me like them better, being my local team.

EDIT: Roosters @ Bluetongue

2000 v Northern Eagles 14353
2004 v North Queensland 16127
2005 v Canberra 16253
2006 v Newcastle 18124
2007 v Newcastle 11264
2008 v Newcastle 14176
Timmah, if you're able and willing...can you pull out the crowd figures for our games out west the last few years (Penrith, Parramatta, Homebush, Campbelltown)?

Brycey

Juniors
They don't have any juniors anyway. They have an agreement with another organisation called Souths Juniors, who also happen to prop them up with money as well as give them juniors. Its take take for the Rabbitohs.

The only club in RL that does not contribute to juniors, and also takes grants off of them. Agreements can change, watch this space.

Timmah

Staff member
Sydney Roosters, since 2005:

CUA Stadium
R2 v Penrith 18228
R23 v Penrith 11704
R14 v Penrith 5831
R5 v Penrith 16924

Parramatta Stadium
R12 v Parramatta 13044
R8 v Parramatta 13021
R10 v Parramatta 16211

Campbelltown Stadium
No matches since 2004 (R16 v WT, 18669)

ANZ Stadium
R6 v Bulldogs 27111
R18 v Wests Tigers 13768
R1 v Souths 16741
R15 v Wests Tigers 19360
R20 v Bulldogs 14020
R16 v Bulldogs 20722
R22 v Wests Tigers 25166
R25 v Souths 32125
R1 v Souths 29386
R4 v Bulldogs 36526 (record)
R7 v St George Illawarra 21596 (first ANZAC match @ ANZ)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.