What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
22,000 other people did, which is a sensational crowd during the Origin period. Very few Sydney matches in the last 5 years have managed to crack 20k during Origin.

Probably the only decent thing the NRL did, was put a Tigers/Eels game on a Sunday Afternoon.

I think the other thing is if people want to go to ANZ they'd rather watch it during the day.

But its not just ANZ, other games as well. I think the fans want to see more and more day games, the games are more exciting, plenty of atmosphere and less mistakes.

Take the Tigers/Titans game for example, a cracker of a game, in front of almost 20,000 at Leichhardt, wouldve been great to be there.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not if you were trapped in the middle of the packed hill and needed to do a piss.

A bloke who used to attend games in the 70s what tell you people would just go wherever. Some great experiences of attending Rugby League games back in that era. :lol:

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Considering the capacity of ANZ Stadium, I'm surprised these clubs aren't bailing up schools and trying to fill the ends of the grounds with freebies.

What clubs seem to be forgetting, is whilst freebies don't generate any direct revenues to the club, more bums on seats provides not only the club, but the code so many more benefits. It encourages memberships, it makes sponsorship assets worth more because the brand looks more popular, it also helps other clubs draw more in sponsorships because the game looks popular, it creates an atmosphere, can help lure new fans, especially if you're targeting kids, and the stadiums who are earning more in food/beverage/signage sales are far more likely to want to keep these clubs there.

That's a brilliant idea. When the Goodwill Games were in Brissy, my school was given 100-odd tickets & we all signed up to get them. Maybe the Bulldogs (using them as an example as they play fulltime) could get all the schools in their area to sign up &, for one game a year, that school will get 100-200 tickets to a home game. Maybe the Dogs could bus them up as well, not sure. Roosters & Souths could do it too!!! It'll be a great way to get kids to the footy, another thing is maybe the school has to play league in some form...

Say if you have a map of ANZ/Telstra/whatever, sections 1-4 (or whatever) can be reserved for these freebees

If you give out 200 tickets, you could get 10,000 by giving out tickets to 50 schools (maybe unrealistic numbers sure but just showing how it could make the games better..

Timmah might have the Bulldogs email so he might be willing to send something out.

Any team playing at ANZ should be looking to average 30,000 for a decent atmosphere, regardless how many are freebees

Parra

Referee
A minimum is guaranteed yes, of around $100,000, which is the revenue of around 6,000 paying spectators, but what is being overlooked here, is there is the potential for clubs to make a lot of money out of ANZ Stadium if they draw large crowds there.

Bulldogs made a large amount extra on their clash against the Roosters earlier in the year, and they are not the only one taking advantage of the quota's of extra payments if you get bums on seats at the venue. Wests Tigers purposely got the Police and Premiers Sporting Challenge schools in their region involved in their clash last week, because once they get past the 16K mark, they get a share of gate and catering revenues.

Its just typical of the short-sightedness of so many Sydney clubs, instead of chasing extra fans, extra revenue, and extra newspaper space by being able to boast about huge crowds, they are happy to sit with what is given to them because they don't have to work for it.

Yeah, just ignore the fans. They are just $ anyway.

In-goal

Bench
I can't believe that people on here are that fickle and fair weather that they won't go to Telstra to watch their team play.

Ask you self this are you a fan of your club of just a Rugby League watcher?

If their are people on this forum who don't go to games because of their club trying to stay afloat are they really fans at all?

In the end of the day tickets should be cheaper, it cost me $19 to go to a AFL game when I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago for a much longer match (i.e. more entertainment) why do we charge more for RL?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I can't believe that people on here are that fickle and fair weather that they won't go to Telstra to watch their team play.

Ask you self this are you a fan of your club of just a Rugby League watcher?

If their are people on this forum who don't go to games because of their club trying to stay afloat are they really fans at all?

In the end of the day tickets should be cheaper, it cost me $19 to go to a AFL game when I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago for a much longer match (i.e. more entertainment) why do we charge more for RL?

I'm a season ticket holder and I actually couldn't get to the game last night, this time due to scheduling. Our third 5:30pm match in a row and working until 5pm more than an hour away from the venue meant I wasn't going to make it in time :(

The crowds are woeful but what are we going to do? There seems to be no willing solution, save for this deal the ANZ clubs+Manly are trying to organise.

bobmar28

Bench
I'm a season ticket holder and I actually couldn't get to the game last night, this time due to scheduling. Our third 5:30pm match in a row and working until 5pm more than an hour away from the venue meant I wasn't going to make it in time :(

The crowds are woeful but what are we going to do? There seems to be no willing solution, save for this deal the ANZ clubs+Manly are trying to organise.
The crowds are mostly woeful in Sydney, they are ok everywhere else.

Chapsta

Juniors
Melbourne have consitent crowds. Never too low or high. Mid-season, 10k+ against the lowest ranking team is pretty good.

nqboy

First Grade
I thought 10880 was a good crowd for Melbourne considering the opposition. It's basically a minimum crowd for them and it bodes well for when they host the highflyers.

LRC

In the last year,what have been the best club games for crowds at ANZ?
How many have had more than 20K and who were they with.

ozzie

Bench

you poor little boy. why are the Rooster Crowds down? one game at Gold Coast which was suppose to be a home game, several out of town teams who have no supporters in Sydney bad weather and others effected by rain. If we draw a good crowd against old enemies our average will go up. What is the next promotion-Season Ticket Holders will be entitled to the 40% discount on General Admission tickets by showing their card at the gate.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
you poor little boy. why are the Rooster Crowds down? one game at Gold Coast which was suppose to be a home game, several out of town teams who have no supporters in Sydney bad weather and others effected by rain. If we draw a good crowd against old enemies our average will go up. What is the next promotion-Season Ticket Holders will be entitled to the 40% discount on General Admission tickets by showing their card at the gate.

Um, the Roosters haven't played on the Gold Coast this year :? Unless you mean Central Coast in which case that game was actually above your average of 13k (it drew 14,400 or so IIRC).

The next promotion is that our 'Dogs members next Friday night get cut-price tickets like your guys did for the Round 4 game at ANZ.

I never fished for sympathy RE: last night either.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Last year Souths and Bulldogs attracted 34,000, in fact its probably the biggest regular season game at ANZ, not counting double headers.

This year I think the Bulldogs Roosters game got over 20,000.

i think there have been a few over 30,000.

dogs / souths a few years ago got 35,000, they got over 30,000 for souths / roosters, a few tigers games have gotten over 30,000 as well.

quite a few get over 20,000 but it will usually involve 2 sydney teams except cronulla and penrith or manly as the away sides are they are too far away,

games involving tigers, dogs, souths, roosters and parra will get over 20,000 usually.

i remember a time when 10,000 was considered a big crowd in sydney, now its a dud. that we can get 30,000 to club games in sydney shows how far weve come.

crowds will grow but not as fast as people like.

clubs are changing the culture of people staying at home but its going to take a while.

slow and steady progress.

Sood

Juniors
clubs are changing the culture of people staying at home but its going to take a while.

slow and steady progress.

Yep, you cant expect it to happen overnight.

This thread has just become such a negative one. Guess the glass is half empty aye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts