What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 NSW 16s and 18s Teams

scruffy

Juniors
Because it is under age footy(SG Ball), the majority of listed second rowers are actually front rowers with no height or second row skills, ie footwork, passing skills, 1 on 1 defense on the edge, etc. The best four "dead set" true NRL style second rowers in the SG Ball comp are Burr, Cordner, Atkinson and O Hanlon, the rest are just front rowers using brawn up the middle.

fortae

Bench
Because it is under age footy(SG Ball), the majority of listed second rowers are actually front rowers with no height or second row skills, ie footwork, passing skills, 1 on 1 defense on the edge, etc. The best four "dead set" true NRL style second rowers in the SG Ball comp are Burr, Cordner, Atkinson and O Hanlon, the rest are just front rowers using brawn up the middle.

You think Binge, Thompson, McKinnon, Lee Hang, Walsh, Freeman, Cook, Pangai etc are front rowers?

If you are going to say that then you'd probably have to look at the centres in the competition, like with Atkinson playing some time there. Watching the under 16s state game last year, even the wide running, skill backrowers ended up exploiting Qld up the middle. That's how it will be on a wet field.

Anyway, there's a position for backrowers who play up the middle of the field supporting your props in attack and obviously in defence ... it's one of the areas where you can distance yourself from the competition at the moment.

juuniorfan

Juniors

Dale Finucane, Im sorry but on this years form, Needs to be the first selected backrower! He has been one of the bulldogs best week in week out! and has played every minute of every game!
And he has all the attributes listed in bold!

Alot of second rowers in SG ball are genuine second rowers! In fact I think their isnt enough front rowers.
In everyside you will see two second rowers who run out wide and one who works in the middle like an extra front rower or just moves around the field and follows the ball players.

Example, Ill list the dogs cause Ive seen all but two of their games, Dale roams around the field and then they use Burr out wide and Thomas out wide as well. I honestly think that they have the ebst backrow in the competition and they are all wide running backrowers, Chris Thomas the only one who can be used as a prop, but is an awesome talent out wide running at halves.

scruffy

Juniors
Dale Finucane, Im sorry but on this years form, Needs to be the first selected backrower! He has been one of the bulldogs best week in week out! and has played every minute of every game!
And he has all the attributes listed in bold!

Alot of second rowers in SG ball are genuine second rowers! In fact I think their isnt enough front rowers.
In everyside you will see two second rowers who run out wide and one who works in the middle like an extra front rower or just moves around the field and follows the ball players.

Example, Ill list the dogs cause Ive seen all but two of their games, Dale roams around the field and then they use Burr out wide and Thomas out wide as well. I honestly think that they have the ebst backrow in the competition and they are all wide running backrowers, Chris Thomas the only one who can be used as a prop, but is an awesome talent out wide running at halves.

Point taken about Dale with the ball in hand, but defensively? I'll rephrase my call on the bulk of second rowers running around this year in SG Ball. Very few are actually quality second rowers, many are at best undersized front rowers who probably will not progress much further as second or front rowers. Thomas is a great team man, he played very well for the Roosters last year, as well as for CHS schoolboys. He is a high quality utility forward which all very good teams like the dogs need. I still rate Burr ahead of Dale as a pure second rower, I also realiise he a year younger as are Cornder and Atkinson. All U/17 players. I might be wrong but I think at least 3 possibly 4 of the next generation of NRL second rowers locked horns last Sat at Shark park. Time will tell. Go the Dogs this weekend!

juuniorfan

Juniors
Point taken about Dale with the ball in hand, but defensively? I'll rephrase my call on the bulk of second rowers running around this year in SG Ball. Very few are actually quality second rowers, many are at best undersized front rowers who probably will not progress much further as second or front rowers. Thomas is a great team man, he played very well for the Roosters last year, as well as for CHS schoolboys. He is a high quality utility forward which all very good teams like the dogs need. I still rate Burr ahead of Dale as a pure second rower, I also realiise he a year younger as are Cornder and Atkinson. All U/17 players. I might be wrong but I think at least 3 possibly 4 of the next generation of NRL second rowers locked horns last Sat at Shark park. Time will tell. Go the Dogs this weekend!

Dale is the best backrower in the competition and has proved it on his form this year, and I disagree with you on the front row second row comment.
Dane atkinson is a young player, but I dont think is no way near the likes of Boyd Cordner, Burr, Thomas and Finucane

Someone I also like to comment on is Ben Auaalittiaa from the dogs, (no idea how to spell his name) reminds me of a young Sonny Bill. Is the bulldogs top try scorer. Him and Dale this year have been the bulldogs best.
Dale is the best backrower in the competition on form

fortae

Bench
Heaps.

Probably atleast 30 players born in 1991 or 1992 (and therefore can play NSW or Qld U18s) have played NYC.

That includes NZ players. The main contenders are Gagai, Jerome, Wright, O'Hanlon, Woods, Baptiste, SWilliams, AKelly, DWalsh, Farrell, McLean, CJones, Cook, James, King, Rankin, Pangai, Norman, Hopoate, HSeijka.

aqua_duck

Coach
Is Josh Ailaomoi eligible for NSW under 18's? He's a kiwi but has been killing it as a 17 year old prop in NYC this year

girvie

Staff member
Is Josh Ailaomoi eligible for NSW under 18's? He's a kiwi but has been killing it as a 17 year old prop in NYC this year

It depends how strict they are with eligibility for selection. Plenty of Kiwis have played for NSW junior teams in the past few years.

lifesgood

Juniors
A nsw under 18 train on squad has been announced and is in the Junior Reps program this week.
Trying to get a copy off someone who might have it and will post it up as soon as I do.
No Bulldogs or Melbourne players were named and neither were any players playing in the NYC.

fortae

Bench
I got the Saints players from a friend ...

St.George
Cameron King (hooker/utility)
David Uhi (backrow)
Joseph Leilua (backrow)
Ashley Boney (winger)

Illawarra
Damien Cook (hooker)
Alex McKinnon (backrow)

Ex-Players
Neil Begovich (prop)
Joseph Rokoqo (wing/centre)

Shannon Wakeman is also strangely on the list but he's 19.

john26

Juniors
A nsw under 18 train on squad has been announced and is in the Junior Reps program this week.
Trying to get a copy off someone who might have it and will post it up as soon as I do.
No Bulldogs or Melbourne players were named and neither were any players playing in the NYC.
If that is true about the NYC players then this has just confirmed my belief that these teams are purely political and not picked on form. What about the players that didn't play in SG Ball because their clubs believe they are good enough to bypass this comp. What a joke! Some NYC players have bonus incentives payments in their contracts if they make this team yet it seems selectors have just snubbed them

lifesgood

Juniors
If that is true about the NYC players then this has just confirmed my belief that these teams are purely political and not picked on form. What about the players that didn't play in SG Ball because their clubs believe they are good enough to bypass this comp. What a joke! Some NYC players have bonus incentives payments in their contracts if they make this team yet it seems selectors have just snubbed them

What you mean?
The NYC players havent been picked but doesnt that mean they wont be picked.
Players like Matthew Wright, Harry Sjieka, Junior Rogica, Alberty Kelly.
And im not sure if any Melbourne players are eligible for NSW
But then also players like Nathan Massey, Dale Finucane, Chris Thomas will probably be selected
I thought Aiden Sezer would be a very good chance, and Liam Ayoub a slight chance, But apparently about five halves have already been chosen, not including the likes of Alberty Kelly and Harry Sjieka.

Still trying to find a copy of the squad

john26

Juniors
What you mean?
The NYC players havent been picked but doesnt that mean they wont be picked.
Players like Matthew Wright, Harry Sjieka, Junior Rogica, Alberty Kelly.
And im not sure if any Melbourne players are eligible for NSW
But then also players like Nathan Massey, Dale Finucane, Chris Thomas will probably be selected
I thought Aiden Sezer would be a very good chance, and Liam Ayoub a slight chance, But apparently about five halves have already been chosen, not including the likes of Alberty Kelly and Harry Sjieka.

Still trying to find a copy of the squad[/quote

Now I am confused, didn't you say the train on squad has been announced? Why announce half a squad

lifesgood

Juniors
[/quote
Now I am confused, didn't you say the train on squad has been announced? Why announce half a squad[/quote]

No idea
I agree
Most of the toyota cup players will be picked and few of the doggies players, its a bit confusing

fortae

Bench
What they have done ... like every train on squad ... is reward players with recognition and have them be ready in case they are needed. There may even be formal training for them. The under 17s players also get a heads up for next year.

The players from the final and from the under 20s will be added in time.

Borgas, Brien, Cordner, Finau, Finn, James (!), Miller, Moylan, Politoni, Portlock, TRoberts, Saville, Silvano, Stromquist, Tavita, Townsend, Vaughan are the others so far.