What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 NSW 16s and 18s Teams

juuniorfan

Juniors
What they have done ... like every train on squad ... is reward players with recognition and have them be ready in case they are needed. There may even be formal training for them. The under 17s players also get a heads up for next year.

The players from the final and from the under 20s will be added in time.

Borgas, Brien, Cordner, Finau, Finn, James (!), Miller, Moylan, Politoni, Portlock, TRoberts, Saville, Silvano, Stromquist, Tavita, Townsend, Vaughan are the others so far.

Im surprised with the amount of halves there, Thought Aiden sezer would be a definite choice, he still mgiht be but confusing picking so many halves, when the likes of Albert Kelly will be, well should be, the five eight

Tavita is over rated, Finau is an awesome talent, Cordner is awesmoe, Thought Borgas, Saville and James were queenslanders. Moylan I dont rate much. Vaughan should be playing 20s soon especially in a struggling canberra side and Tyrone Roberts is good just dont think he will be tough enough for an origin game

fortae

Bench
Im surprised with the amount of halves there, Thought Aiden sezer would be a definite choice, he still mgiht be but confusing picking so many halves, when the likes of Albert Kelly will be, well should be, the five eight

Tavita is over rated, Finau is an awesome talent, Cordner is awesmoe, Thought Borgas, Saville and Jameswere queenslanders. Moylan I dont rate much. Vaughan should be playing 20s soon especially in a struggling canberra side and Tyrone Roberts is good just dont think he will be tough enough for an origin game

There's 25 players there already, so of course there's going to be an oversupply in some positions.

Consider also that with all the under 20s named previously and contenders in the final, this squad may end up 40 players, if they keep adding. That's just as many as probables and possibles trial and they'd be picking six or seven players for halves positions. Don't forget that Miller and Tavita can play elsewhere. Murray has been left out ... or is he injured?

The numbers in the outside backs are high, considering most of the under 20s players will be backs, but I guess that's where the recognition for the best SG Ball players comes in. They are having problems with props like us ...

Saville (Lismore) and James (Bilambil) are definitely NSW. Borgas I thought was from Tugun.

Anyway ... any likely players left out? I noticed Alex McKinnon is the only NSW under 16s forward from last year ... with Burr still to play ... and Jacob Miller the only back, though Hopoate will be there.

juuniorfan

Juniors
There's 25 players there already, so of course there's going to be an oversupply in some positions.

Consider also that with all the under 20s named previously and contenders in the final, this squad may end up 40 players, if they keep adding. That's just as many as probables and possibles trial and they'd be picking six or seven players for halves positions. Don't forget that Miller and Tavita can play elsewhere. Murray has been left out ... or is he injured?

The numbers in the outside backs are high, considering most of the under 20s players will be backs, but I guess that's where the recognition for the best SG Ball players comes in. They are having problems with props like us ...

Saville (Lismore) and James (Bilambil) are definitely NSW. Borgas I thought was from Tugun.

Anyway ... any likely players left out? I noticed Alex McKinnon is the only NSW under 16s forward from last year ... with Burr still to play ... and Jacob Miller the only back, though Hopoate will be there.

Miller is a good player, but I really dont like him as a halfback, Hopoate will be there, but i think Massey should be fullback ahead of him. Hopa can play centre or wing. Burr might struggle, although he is an awesome talent, Dale and Thomas have been consistently better this year, but he should still make the squad. Teni and Ben I think are kiwis, Aiden and maybe Ali and Liam are the only other possible players i would pick.

Twenties players include Wright, Kelly, Rogica, Hopoate, Walsh, Sam Williams, Thompson

Josh Murray was a surprise being left out.

girvie

Staff member
Here is the Under-18s train-on squad:

Fullback
Jaydin Tavita Parramatta

Wing
Ashley Boney St George
Faleula Finau Balmain
Joseph Rokoqo Cronulla

Centre
Rory Brien Parramatta
Josh Portlock Manly
Sam Saville Gold Coast
Guy Borgas Gold Coast

Five-Eighth
Matt Moylan Penrith

Halfback
Jacob Miller Newtown
Tyrone Roberts Newcastle
Chad Townsend Cronulla

Prop
Neil Begovich Western Suburbs
Jake Finn Newcastle
Karl Silvano Canberra
Magnus Stromquist Manly

Hooker
Damien Cook Illawarra
Cameron King St George

Second Row
David Uhi St George
Paul Vaughan Canberra
Ryan James Gold Coast
Joseph Leilua St George

Lock
Boyd Cordner Newtown
Alex McKinnon Illawarra
Patrick Politoni Balmain

scruffy

Juniors
Congrates to those that made the squad, but I think a few more Newtwon boys deserved a train-on spot.

junior fan

Juniors
And the 16s for possible probables looks like this. So what will be final make up after Wednesdays night match. Some talent there. As a side note Jacob Gagan broke his ankle today so wont be involved

PLAYERTEAM
Charlie Runciman
CRL
James Roberts
South Sydney
Jacob Gagan
Parramatta
Peter Irwin
Bulldogs
Ben Heterick
Penrith
Ryan Wilson
Penrith
Jack Webb
Roosters
David Noufoulama
Western Suburbs
Simon Lienisch
Canberra
Gordon Broome
Norths
Nicholas Ritter
Newcastle
Vai Toutai
Parramatta
Kyle Lovett
Balmain
Corey McGrady
Gold Coast
Jack Whiteman
CRL
Francis Katoa
Manly
Sean McGuiness
Parramatta
Sam Short
Gold Coast
Jack Durheim
Gold Coast
Brendon Santi
Bulldogs
Lincoln Tubridy
Manly
Frazer Masinamua
Parramatta
Jack Seijka
CRL
Jordan Malaki
Parramatta
David Minute
Bulldogs
Reece Davidson
Cronulla
James Elias
Newcastle
Sam Everitt
Canberra
Kemvuli Seru
St George
Jackson Merritt
CRL
Nick Crompton
Gold Coast
Jack Broughton
CRL
David Klemmer
Bulldogs
Tai Tuivasa
Penrith
Jake Townsend
Wests
Luke Vescio
Manly
Evander Cummins
St George
Adam Clydesdale
Newcastle

girvie

Staff member
A very strong list of players there. Also a few notable players who have missed out.

I'd like to see this probables vs possibles game so if anyone knows the day, time and place then let me know.

junior fan

Juniors
A very strong list of players there. Also a few notable players who have missed out.

I'd like to see this probables vs possibles game so if anyone knows the day, time and place then let me know.

Its on this coming Wednesday 6:30pm kick off at Leichardt Oval

girvie

Staff member
Thanks Junior fan.

Here is a break down of the squad by their main positions in Harold Matthews.

Fullbacks
James Roberts South Sydney
Jacob Gagan Parramatta
Peter Irwin Bulldogs
Jack Webb Roosters

Wings
nil

Centres
Ben Heterick Penrith
Simon Lienisch Canberra
Gordon Broome North Sydney
Nicholas Ritter Newcastle
Vai Toutai Parramatta
Ryan Wilson Penrith
David Noufoulama Western Suburbs

Five-Eighths
Corey McGrady Gold Coast
Francis Katoa Manly
Sean McGuiness Parramatta
Sam Short Gold Coast

Props
Sam Everitt Canberra
Nick Crompton Gold Coast
Tai Tuivasa Penrith
David Klemmer Bulldogs
Jake Townsend Western Suburbs

Hookers
Luke Vescio Manly
Evander Cummins St George
Adam Clydesdale Newcastle

Second Rowers
Jordan Malaki Parramatta
David Minute Bulldogs
Reece Davidson Cronulla
James Elias Newcastle
Kemueli Seru St George

Locks
Kyle Lovett Balmain
Jack Durheim Gold Coast
Brendon Santi Bulldogs
Lincoln Tubridy Manly
Frazer Masinamua Parramatta

blackandwhite

Juniors
How is the under 16 squad selected? Does anyone actually watch the boys play or are these squads picked on reputation ?

David Noufoulama and Jake Townsend from Western Suburbs are the only two players selected for a team that was one game away from making the Grand Final. Mitch Brassington was the top point scorer of the whole competition by 30 points and he doesn't even rate a mention.

On the other hand Canberra only won 2 games all year and managed to have two players selected. Wests thrashed Penrith in the semi finals and they have 3 players selected. And CRL, what the .... who did they play? :sarcasm:

I am obviously a Western Suburbs fan, but what about Central Coast I'm sure they must have had at least one player good enough to be selected. They did beat the Gold Coast in the semi's and the Gold Coast have 4 players in the squad.:crazy:

rambo1

Juniors
How is the under 16 squad selected? Does anyone actually watch the boys play or are these squads picked on reputation ?

David Noufoulama and Jake Townsend from Western Suburbs are the only two players selected for a team that was one game away from making the Grand Final. Mitch Brassington was the top point scorer of the whole competition by 30 points and he doesn't even rate a mention.

On the other hand Canberra only won 2 games all year and managed to have two players selected. Wests thrashed Penrith in the semi finals and they have 3 players selected. And CRL, what the .... who did they play? :sarcasm:

I am obviously a Western Suburbs fan, but what about Central Coast I'm sure they must have had at least one player good enough to be selected. They did beat the Gold Coast in the semi's and the Gold Coast have 4 players in the squad.:crazy:

You make a very valid point on whether selections are based on reputation or form. I think a mixture of both.

Wests were unlucky not to have a few more such as prop Pale Tanumaleu, hooker Lachlan Bristow and Brasington as you suggested. He has a great kicking game.

With Jacob Gagen being ruled out with injury perhaps the selectors will look at West's fullback James Tedesco who troubled the Eels in the semi final last week.

micro

Juniors

Brasington certainly is a class player and very unlucky to miss out. I would believe selection done by position not how many each team provides. You will find Hetric the penrith captain and top point scorer for the club did not play against your magpies, he was injured. Tai, the form front rower, in attack anyway. Wilson probably lucky on form. Brasington will get his chance.

junior fan

Juniors
There are selectors at every game who simply give a tick to players how have a great performance per match, at the end of the season just add up the ticks and you have the best in each position. I would say from the selections that it definitely isnt picked on reputation. NSW had 3 players make the Australian schoolboys team last year that played HM this year and only one made the NSW 16s Jacob Gagan (now out through injury) Reece Reegan (Penrith) and Pat Mata'utia (Newcastle) both missed out. So obviously a big fall since 9 months ago.

I do hear what you are saying about Brassington he played strong but for me David and Jake were wests best. Also through Sonny in that mix as well.

ouwet

Bench
Here is the Under-18s train-on squad:

Fullback
Jaydin Tavita Parramatta

Wing
Ashley Boney St George
Faleula Finau Balmain
Joseph Rokoqo Cronulla

Centre
Rory Brien Parramatta
Josh Portlock Manly
Sam Saville Gold Coast
Guy Borgas Gold Coast

Five-Eighth
Matt Moylan Penrith

Halfback
Jacob Miller Newtown
Tyrone Roberts Newcastle
Chad Townsend Cronulla

Prop
Neil Begovich Western Suburbs
Jake Finn Newcastle
Karl Silvano Canberra
Magnus Stromquist Manly

Hooker
Damien Cook Illawarra
Cameron King St George

Second Row
David Uhi St George
Paul Vaughan Canberra
Ryan James Gold Coast
Joseph Leilua St George

Lock
Boyd Cordner Newtown
Alex McKinnon Illawarra
Patrick Politoni Balmain

Really? Am i missing something or are the Premiers (And quite frankly, easily the standout team in the SG Ball comp) the Bulldogs not represented in the team?

john26

Juniors
There are selectors at every game who simply give a tick to players how have a great performance per match, at the end of the season just add up the ticks and you have the best in each position. I would say from the selections that it definitely isnt picked on reputation. NSW had 3 players make the Australian schoolboys team last year that played HM this year and only one made the NSW 16s Jacob Gagan (now out through injury) Reece Reegan (Penrith) and Pat Mata'utia (Newcastle) both missed out. So obviously a big fall since 9 months ago.

I do hear what you are saying about Brassington he played strong but for me David and Jake were wests best. Also through Sonny in that mix as well.

I don't believe that they have selectors at every game. What about the under 20's, how do they know who has been playing well. A lot of the players that are tipped to be in the 18's side are players that previously made Schoolboy teams, there a lot of good players in the under 20's that never went on to year 12 so were never eligible for schoolboy reps, so I believe a lot of players are picked on reputation and past form. Rep selection in my opinion has always been political in any age group.

Also why do they name half a training squad and then add the bulldogs and under 20's, I thought you were meant to name a training squad and then cut it down.

fortae

Bench
Really? Am i missing something or are the Premiers (And quite frankly, easily the standout team in the SG Ball comp) the Bulldogs not represented in the team?

Chosen before the final.

Also why do they name half a training squad and then add the bulldogs and under 20's, I thought you were meant to name a training squad and then cut it down.

Training squads come in all sizes and forms. For example, the Test squad is added to after every week of the finals before the final squad is announced.

Some of the theories have been discussed already. Another one that could happen is what happened to Tomane last year and Stanley in 2007. NRL commitments just took over ... and another player had to come in.

Big Time

Juniors
Never going to get best U/16's and U/18's NSW teams picking out of Sydney teams only. Many good youngsters still playing in the bush. Bloke from Kyogle called Blake Anderson who I would bet my left nut would be better then some of the blokes that get named.

juuniorfan

Juniors
NSW UNDER 18S final train on sqaud

Faleula Finau

Balmain
Patrick PolitoniBalmainLachlan BurrBulldogsAli HijaziBulldogsNathan MasseyBulldogsAiden SezerBulldogsKarl SilvanoCanberraPaul VaughanCanberra – NYCSam WilliamsCanberra – NYC Joseph RokoqoCronullaChad TownsendCronullaMatthew WrightCronulla – NRLGuy BorgasGold CoastRyan JamesGold CoastSam SavilleGold CoastDomenic WalshGold Coast – NYCDamien CookIllawarraAlex McKinnonIllawarraWilliam HopoateManly – NYCJosh PortlockManlyMagnus StromquistManlyLucas GrechMelbourneSlade GriffinMelbourneSam MartinMelbourne – NYCJordan McCleanMelbourneEthan CookNewcastle - NYCJake FinnNewcastleTyrone RobertsNewcastleBoyd CornerNewtownJacob MillerNewtownRory BrienParramattaAlbert KellyParramatta – NYCJaydin TavitaParramattaMathew MoylanPenrithDylan FarrellSouth Sydney - NYCDavid AhuSt GeorgeAshley BoneySt GeorgeJoseph LeiluaSt GeorgeCameron KingSt George – Illawarra – NYCShannon WakemanSt George – Illawarra – NYCNeil BegovichWestern SuburbsJunior RoqicaWest Tigers – NYCJoel WisbeyWest Tigers – NYCAaron Woods

West Tigers – NYC

Latest posts