What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010+11 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsors

seriosuly, if thats true im gonna have to monitor ebay and wait for some dolphins gear to show up

another question is when did clubs start making their jerseys in synthetic material, was it superleague, i was in rebel and they had a warriors 95 jersey with full badging and db bitter logo in a synthetic material. i also remeber that st george's jerseys up till 2005 where still non-synthetic
I'm not sure, but it has to be a while. I own a St George World Club 7's jersey from around 1995 and it is a synthetic jumper.

Nuke

Staff member
Lucky! I used to have a 1995 original "home" jersey when I was a kid..

Funny story, but I got one so early-on that it had a blue NSWRL badge on it - never mind the fact that the Warriors never played in a strip with the NSWRL badge on it. (I guess the merchandising guys were a little TOO keen to get product out before the club's launch!)
Yeah, I have a Western Reds jersey with the NSWRL badge on it too. I got it for Christmas 1994, so it was only months before the ARL 1995 season -and the Reds short-lived career- kicked off.

Nuke

Staff member
I think a few teams had synthetic jerseys for the World Sevens comps as it was summertime when the tournaments were on and these jerseys are cooler than the thick cotton ones.

I'm not sure, but it has to be a while. I own a St George World Club 7's jersey from around 1995 and it is a synthetic jumper.

Scotty, as a Saints supporter, you would obviously know better than me but I always thought Saints kept the traditional material longer than most. They didn't give a sh1t about the sevens jumper as it had no tradition and history. I also thought they had a transition period where a blend of materials was used for a while. Maybe the V was sewn on or something like that?

Smithtown

Coach
another question is when did clubs start making their jerseys in synthetic material, was it superleague, i was in rebel and they had a warriors 95 jersey with full badging and db bitter logo in a synthetic material. i also remeber that st george's jerseys up till 2005 where still non-synthetic

Saints had one of the first synthetic jerseys when they used an 'Ellgren' brand Wigan jersey in 1993 - for the Charity Shield and pre-season.

In 1994 Saints went to 'Peerless', who were the first Aussie jersey manufacturer to make synthetic jerseys as I recall. Peerless also made a Wigan style synthetic jersey for Saints for that years and subsequent years pre-season/Charity Shield/World 7s etc...

Any other club that had Peerless jerseys ie Penrith at the time had the synthetic options, which they used for pre-season. Penrith had a particularly horrific design for pre-season 1995.

But for the season proper the clubs reverted back to the traditional cotton.

Tom Shines

First Grade
that melbourne jersey needs less purple and more navy blue, as i understand it the jersey was meant to be a navy blue with two lighting bolts two represent the v for victoria and they added dashes of purple and gold to make it more appealing (correct me if im wrong) and i dont think they ever intended a home jersey to be mostly purple

The purple was added by some marketing toff to be a point of difference in merch.

Perth Red

Post Whore
that melbourne jersey needs less purple and more navy blue, as i understand it the jersey was meant to be a navy blue with two lighting bolts two represent the v for victoria and they added dashes of purple and gold to make it more appealing (correct me if im wrong) and i dont think they ever intended a home jersey to be mostly purple

Totally agree. this is much more like it!

2008_stormretrojers.jpg

Having said that purple is unique to them and a crowd of purple does look quite impressive and unique.

LESStar58

Referee

I think in the past few years the club has tried to stress the "purple" aspect of our strip e.g our membership slogan was "Pumped Up, Paid Up and Purple" but the purple on our jersey isn't rreally the predominant colour and that's why there is more purple than blue on the jersey in 2010.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
To us colour-blind people navy blue and purple are almost impossible to differentiate, so Melbourne can do whatever they want with their jersey as far as I'm concerned

Scotty, as a Saints supporter, you would obviously know better than me but I always thought Saints kept the traditional material longer than most. They didn't give a sh1t about the sevens jumper as it had no tradition and history. I also thought they had a transition period where a blend of materials was used for a while. Maybe the V was sewn on or something like that?
Our jersey's throughout the pre-season in the 1990's were exact copies of strips that Wigan used during the English season. At the time their jersey's often involved curves or unique patterns, requiring the synthetic material.

Also, as explained by Smithtown, teams would wear synth strips during the pre-season due to the old "they are cooler in the heat" thought pattern, with cotton being the more durable tried and tested jersey for a long season of footy. They were also substancially cheaper in a time where all three grades wore the same jumper with sequential numbering through the grades (1st Grade 1-13, Reserves 14-26, U21's 27-39, Interchange 40+).

As for St George sticking with cotton longest, I am pretty sure that is true, though Penrith stuck with cotton for a long time into the 00's as well. Our jerseys changed over around the time when we changed our sponsor to St George Bank. Supporter wear didn't become synthetic until Adidas started making our jerseys

Last edited:
Spoke with a guy from Amart All-Sport here on the Gold Coast about the Indigenous/All Star game, and they won't be carrying the All Star jumper because they don't expect to sell many, if any.

Frailty

First Grade
Our jersey's throughout the pre-season in the 1990's were exact copies of strips that Wigan used during the English season. At the time their jersey's often involved curves or unique patterns, requiring the synthetic material.

Also, as explained by Smithtown, teams would wear synth strips during the pre-season due to the old "they are cooler in the heat" thought pattern, with cotton being the more durable tried and tested jersey for a long season of footy. They were also substancially cheaper in a time where all three grades wore the same jumper with sequential numbering through the grades (1st Grade 1-13, Reserves 14-26, U21's 27-39, Interchange 40+).

As for St George sticking with cotton longest, I am pretty sure that is true, though Penrith stuck with cotton for a long time into the 00's as well. Our jerseys changed over around the time when we changed our sponsor to St George Bank. Supporter wear didn't become synthetic until Adidas started making our jerseys

Incorrect as the Sharks had synthetic material for their regular season jersey from 1995 (i think) with the Diagonal design - the first that included grey.

Nuke

Staff member
That's what stopped me buying or wanting an Australian jersey last year. I have three in my wardrobe: 1999's (really thick cotton with long sleeves), 2006's (?) (cotton jersey but with short sleeves), and the Centenary Test jersey from 2008. But once I saw they were selling the polyester Aussie jerseys, I was after one so I could wear it in the warmer weather ... but it had VB plastered all over it. As it is, I have PS2 plastered over the 2006 jersey (or whichever year it was ... maybe 2007?), but it's not on the front which (just) makes it okay for me. For years I refused to buy a NSW Country Origin jersey because the CRL logo was defaced with a sponsor's logo. I finally got one that 'only' had the sponsor's logo on the front, back, and sleeves.

Then they changed the jersey design for the first time in my lifetime ..! Bugger!

Latest posts