What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

Wasn't it something along the lines of club's results over the previous five seasons, state of their ground and state of profitability? You can see how it was designed to bugger Souths as they couldn't tick all the boxes. The last two buggered Norths as they pumped a lot of dosh into the CC venture.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Yeah my point was that people are turning up now for souffs but where were they in the 80's and 90's when souffs did it tough. I'm pretty sure people were wondering the same thing when 20,000 came to a street protest for souffs getting kicked out yet the year before they were getting 5,000 to a game.

If memberships were pushed as hard in the 80's and 90's as they are now then we probably would not have gotten the 'arse'.

Slackboy72

Coach
Sorry if the truth hurts Sonic but the fact is for near on thirty years souffs were the shame of the league.

pplspoet

Juniors
I've read this forum for a while but couldnt resist signing up to post on this topic.

To the St George Illawarra fan wondering where all the Souths fans were in the 80's and 90's i'd ask him/her the same question about their clubs fans. Over the course of the 80's and 90's the total average crowd figure differnence between Souths and the Dragons was 600 people. St George had an average crowd of 9,967 per game over those 2 decades while Souths had an average crowd of 9,369.

You might not like to remember it but St George had their share of dark times too in that period. In 1988 the mighty Dragons could only draw 5700 people to their home games each week.

You'll also note that Souths didnt have to merge to stay part of the league... And are doing fine today under the same banner they have used for the past 102 years.

You'll also note no one marched to keep St George from merging thus ending their 42 year stint as part of the ARL.

It's been 39 years since Souths won a premiership. Thats not good... But i''ll take the 20 we won previous to that over the 0 that St George Illawarra have won. Concentrate on your own problems.

PS: The year before we were kicked out we were getting over 12,000 people per game to the SFS. Look it up.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
pplspoet.. I understand Slackboy walked right into that rant, and fair enough. It's just that St George joined the league in 1921, at least that's what my 2008 Centenary merchandise tells me. Look it up.

And no-one marched to stop the merger because most people were and still are in favour of it. Just like most of your club's members voted in favour of selling Souths off to Go Russ and PHAC.

hunters

Juniors
Wasn't it something along the lines of club's results over the previous five seasons, state of their ground and state of profitability? You can see how it was designed to bugger Souths as they couldn't tick all the boxes. The last two buggered Norths as they pumped a lot of dosh into the CC venture.

I also seem to recollect that, in the profitability criteria, every team was allowed to include grants from their respective Leagues Club. Souths, who received nothing from the Leagues Club but about $2mil from Souths Juniors, were not allowed to include that money. This effectively put Souths last in the criteria behind Penrith (?).

Goddo

Bench
You'll also note that Souths didnt have to merge to stay part of the league... And are doing fine today under the same banner they have used for the past 102 years.

You'll also note no one marched to keep St George from merging thus ending their 42 year stint as part of the ARL.

You sir, are a dip sh!t.

St George met all of the criteria unlike the Rabbits (St George were 8th of all 20 clubs from memory), but were extremely worried about the clubs position given Cronulla had just recieved a $11m handout from News for stabbing the ARL in the back.

For St George, merging with Illawarra was a strategic move, to out manuovre Cronulla. Both clubs could see that the NRL wanted only one team in the south (nothing has changed). Cronulla thought the cash would get them over the line, but its all gone now.

Illawarra was in a position similar to Gold Coast... strong NRL areas, but club structures and finances were terrible, so they were happy to be bailed out by St George. It was that, or no team in the gong. I remember when the deal was progressing further along Cronulla realised why St George was doing it and made a half-ars!d bid to merge with Illawarra.

12 years later, it seems to have paid off. By giving Illawarra a loan of I think it was $7m (which is almost payed back now), St George had them by the balls, so in effect it was more of a takeover than a merger.

St George has been around in first grade since 1921, and has existed as a club in lower grades since 1909. They wanted to be a foundation club but were turned down in 1908 for not having enough registered players. Where does 42 years come from? We are almost as old as your merkin club, and we didn't evolve out of a rugby union club either unlike most of the "foundation" clubs.

1921-1998=78 seasons +11 more merged c!ck sucker, and we weren't booted from the comp ever either! Noone marched because it was a strategic move merging. People felt bad about it but it was the right decision. Same thing happened with Balmain and Wests.

It's been 39 years since Souths won a premiership. Thats not good... But i''ll take the 20 we won previous to that over the 0 that St George Illawarra have won. Concentrate on your own problems.

PS: The year before we were kicked out we were getting over 12,000 people per game to the SFS. Look it up.

Yeah take the 20? how about the 15 we have won, not to mention 11 in a row. And if you take the other tack that we are merged and they don't count, well we have been around for less time than the Cowboys, Warriors and Sharks. How are those trophy cabinets? How many finals series and grandfinals have we been in since our last win in 79? how many have the pathetic rabbits been in since 71? Hell, you were all jumping for joy just because you made the finals in 07! lol!

Those 12k crowds at the end were similar to the ones Norths, Balmain and Wests got before they disapeared or merged. It was the send off aspect, see them for the last time thing, definately not the quality of the pathetic football souths were playing.

W@nker.

Last edited:

Slackboy72

Coach
I've read this forum for a while but couldnt resist signing up to post on this topic.

To the St George Illawarra fan wondering where all the Souths fans were in the 80's and 90's i'd ask him/her the same question about their clubs fans. Over the course of the 80's and 90's the total average crowd figure differnence between Souths and the Dragons was 600 people. St George had an average crowd of 9,967 per game over those 2 decades while Souths had an average crowd of 9,369.

You might not like to remember it but St George had their share of dark times too in that period. In 1988 the mighty Dragons could only draw 5700 people to their home games each week.

Let's just get some facts around that.
In 1988 we were playing out of a very dilapidated Belmore. Unsurprising that crowds were down. 1996-1998 souffs were playing out of the SFS, (some would argue) the best ground in Sydney.

Year SSavg STGavg
1971 9,920 10,160
1972 9,293 10,971
1973 9,753 9,787
1974 7,284 6,829
1975 9,051 12,027
1976 9,950 9,653
1977 6,543 11,702
1978 11,934 13,071
1979 8,249 13,137
1980 9,683 13,003
1981 7,086 8,678
1982 10,275 7,417
1983 5,954 8,333
1984 6,537 9,305
1985 6,955 9,843
1986 9,719 10,850
1987 11,259 8,588
1988 11,326 6,080
1989 11,438 8,891
1990 8,772 8,504
1991 10,449 10,670
1992 11,785 10,860
1993 9,794 16,309
1994 12,900 11,233
1995 7,709 9,082
1996 5,133 11,167
1997 5,287 7,222
1998 6,085 10,394
1999 12,086 17,065
AVG 9,042 10,373
70s 9,109 10,815
80s 9,023 9,099
90s 9,000 11,251

I see no evidence to back up the numbers you have given either.
Mine are direct from http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/

Last edited:

Slackboy72

Coach
You sir, are a dip sh!t.

How many finals series and grandfinals have we been in since our last win in 79? how many have the pathetic rabbits been in since 71? Hell, you were all jumping for joy just because you made the finals in 07! lol!

NOT TRUE!!!!

Souths make the grand final every year and have won it on numerous occasions.

80073149.jpg

Goddo

Bench
Also, I think the rabbits are salary cap cheats. Burgess has been given so many freebies (car, appartment in woollomoloo). How does that not come under the salary cap? How does the transfer fee Souths payed not count?

Same with the GI "indigenous ambasador" money, and the equivelant they offered Thurston. I am glad the NRL knocked him back in getting extras.

The criteria was crap because it didn't take into account fan bases rather than attendences, long term financial stability rather than how much cash they had at that moment or premierships and history. Penrith Cronulla and the Dogs who all went to SL were sweet because of the $11m uncle Rupert gave them.

The criteria were entirely short sighted.

Last edited:

Sonic Star

Juniors
You sir, are a dip sh!t.

St George met all of the criteria unlike the Rabbits (St George were 8th of all 20 clubs from memory), but were extremely worried about the clubs position given Cronulla had just recieved a $11m handout from News for stabbing the ARL in the back.

For St George, merging with Illawarra was a strategic move, to out manuovre Cronulla. Both clubs could see that the NRL wanted only one team in the south (nothing has changed). Cronulla thought the cash would get them over the line, but its all gone now.

Illawarra was in a position similar to Gold Coast... strong NRL areas, but club structures and finances were terrible, so they were happy to be bailed out by St George. It was that, or no team in the gong. I remember when the deal was progressing further along Cronulla realised why St George was doing it and made a half-ars!d bid to merge with Illawarra.

12 years later, it seems to have paid off. By giving Illawarra a loan of I think it was $7m (which is almost payed back now), St George had them by the balls, so in effect it was more of a takeover than a merger.

St George has been around in first grade since 1921, and has existed as a club in lower grades since 1909. They wanted to be a foundation club but were turned down in 1908 for not having enough registered players. Where does 42 years come from? We are almost as old as your merkin club, and we didn't evolve out of a rugby union club either unlike most of the "foundation" clubs.

1921-1998=78 seasons +11 more merged c!ck sucker, and we weren't booted from the comp ever either! Noone marched because it was a strategic move merging. People felt bad about it but it was the right decision. Same thing happened with Balmain and Wests.

Yeah take the 20? how about the 15 we have won, not to mention 11 in a row. And if you take the other tack that we are merged and they don't count, well we have been around for less time than the Cowboys, Warriors and Sharks. How are those trophy cabinets? How many finals series and grandfinals have we been in since our last win in 79? how many have the pathetic rabbits been in since 71? Hell, you were all jumping for joy just because you made the finals in 07! lol!

Those 12k crowds at the end were similar to the ones Norths, Balmain and Wests got before they disapeared or merged. It was the send off aspect, see them for the last time thing, definately not the quality of the pathetic football souths were playing.

W@nker.

Hey dipsh*t

st george illawarra are virgins yet to taste a premiership victory.

So don't wank on with what st george dragons did, they know longer play in the NRL.

Your club sold out its tradition to try and win a premiership.
Taking all of Illawarras best players not to mentions juniors and you guys still can't win a premiership.

Bennett is the Dragons last chance of breaking their cherry.
If he can't get them a premiership they never will :lol: