What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Saint Doc

Coach
Nothing yet, the only photo I've seen has Asotasi and Hornby in media gear. Might pop up on FOX Sports News?

Doubt it timmah. In the 10 year history of charity shield jerseys, they've never been released earlier than a week before, often not released until a couple of days before or even the day of the game!

LineBall

Juniors
You don't get it do you...

RL is players are spread across a field not along. Compare that to soccer, hockey, basketball etc. You can know a position by the players place on the field (90% of the time).

In RL a winger can come in on the first tackle and take a scoot, this does not mean he is a hooker to the untrained eye who might think the guy who picks the ball up is the dummy half. You could almost use that kind of example with any position in RL depending on the time of the game, the tackle count and the teams style of play.

I shouldn't need to explain soccer or hockey (basically the same kind of layout along the field).

Basketball has a PG who has the ball at the start of a possession, G's along the perimeter, and PF/C in the paint. Simple to grasp with 5 players on a court/team.

The NFL can make it work because the game is easy to grasp as the roles of individuals are simple (but as a team are complicated) plus you have the benefit of stoppage rather than rolling play with set positions each play.

AFL is the 1 exception when it comes to positions along the field as the game is a sh*tfight for the ball anyway it is hard to follow with or without numbers.

RL you can have a 2nd rower in the centres, a Fullback or Lock playing 1st receiver, 2nd rowers up front, 6 and 7 switching between scrums/receiving etc.

I think you point makes a good case for having personalised numbers.

Players in soccer, basketball can go anywhere on the field/court just as in rugby league.

Anyone who takes an interest in the game wouldn't take long to learn what a winger, centre, fullback, hooker does.

_Johnsy

Referee
Couldn't agree more.
I wonder if the people that strongly oppose this sort of thing are the ones that whinge about Gallop and the state of our game...because this is a way to increase popularity and revenue.

No just not a fan, however I would certainly not be a vocal critic should it be introduced.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Best Jersey of 2011...... Catalan Dragons.
ISC2011.jpg

Godz Illa

Coach
I never buy non-Dragons jerseys but I may break that rule for Castleford. Reminds me of the old Marist Bros Pagewood kit I wore with panache

Shorty

Staff member
It's easy to grasp what each position does. It didn't take long for me. What took a while was tactics, schemes and execution.
I suppose I see your point, actually.
In terms of actual coaching etc I found it pretty confusing at first.
Best Jersey of 2011...... Catalan Dragons.
ISC2011.jpg
What is it with the French?
I'm sure you all remember this lovely number

Stade%2BFrancais.jpg

Edit: I see SF is already on this page, LOL.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
That said, nothing comes close to beating the new Stade Francais rugby jersey:

flashphotomaillotthird_big-z.jpg

the real reason gasnier came back.....

there's nothing redeeming about that design in anyway whether it's their main jersey or a training strip. i wouldnt even wipe my ass with that