What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Ladder Predictions

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree they're not the worst in the comp. The Eels have a stranglehold on that mantle. But they are the second worst IMO.
How are they the second worst halves? Luke Walsh was leading try assists last season and even with a huge percentage of that being from kicks... the Panthers still finished the season with the most points scored.

In the regular season the Panthers scored 645 points for an average of 26.875 points per game. Next best was Souths with 584 points. So the Panthers scored 61 points more then the second highest team.

They're not close to the best halves in the NRL... but they provided plenty of points for the Panthers and that puts them well ahead of many halves combinations to start with. I'd say halves alone are fringe top 8.

Red Bear

Referee
I've posted in this thread earlier but i'll try again

Dragons
Tigers
NZ
Easts
Melbourne
Souths
Canberra
Newcastle

Canterbury
Parramatta
Penrith
Gold Coast
Manly
Brisbane
Cronulla
Nth Queensland

To be honest 9-14 was very hard to seperate, as were the bottom few of the 8, and I expect i'll get alot of that completely wrong, I just dont rate certain clubd that highly going into this season (and Newcastle are just a hunch, some of their young players are quality and with Housten back the pack looks a fair bit better).

Pretty confident with the top 5

Eels Dude

Coach
I think the Panthers overachieved last season. That's why people aren't rating them as high for this year. The Panthers have always been a hot and cold side under Elliot. When on song they play some great attacking football, but the following week they can be a complete and utter rabble. Last year they improved their consistency. But at their peak they really didn't play that much better than the previous couple of years Panthers teams when they played at their peak. I think Walsh will struggle to maintain his '10 form consistently and that's a big worry especially now Wade Graham has gone.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think Luke Walsh will have a hard time improving on 2010. He was solid with his kicking game, but it wasn't great. The bulk of our tries off kicks came through the skill and numbers in our kick chase. Not through his boot being magic.

So really he shouldn't have a hard time replicating his success with kicks this season, and if he even slightly varies his game up a bit with more running and passing then he will be well ahead of his 2010 automatically. Although in all honesty if he just improves his defence and is willing to put his body on the line that's the only improvement he truly needs.

Between him and Purtell they cost us a lot of points last season. Atleast Walsh made up for them with a heap of try assists and he comes out ahead on F/A. But Purtell would have leaked twice as many points as he contributed, if not more.

franklin2323

Immortal
Um it wasn't Walsh it was the chase that scored so many tries. 1st trial of the year on Sat nite. No Walsh yet 2 tries scored from kicks. On Walsh he has now played 50 NRL games so should keep improving. Coote almost 50, Burns, Kingston close to 100. Jennings 90odd. So you have the spine & strike centre that should keep improving. Interesting Titans scored the most off kicks yet no one mentions them struggling to score. Besides developing 1/2's there is rep players in Coote, Gordon, Jennings, Petero, Grant, McKendry, Waterhouse & Lewis. While injuries will no doubt play their part. I would seem unlikely any where near full-strength Penrith being out of the 8.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
For what it's worth....

1. Warriors - last years finals appearance will have done them well. Good team on paper. I'm expecting a big year from the Kiwi boys.

2. Tigers - Lost nothing, great pack, great halves and great backs. And a great coach. They remind me of the Saints last year in that they have had a team together for a while, had the same coach for a while and know the Tigers system inside and out. Only difference with the Saints side is that this time there are some superstars in the side. Remind me a lot of the Storm also actually in that they have built a great core side with few outside recruits.

3. Saints - we are all gunning for you...

4. Dogs - Recruited unbelievably well. That side on paper should make them top 8 material, but if they gel they are a top 4 side. I'll go the positive option.

5. Storm - still can't go past them as a finals side. Still got that 1,7,9, have some quality backs and forwards, and have recruited some good quality players. Woolnough might be their Yak (Cusack), while Champion is quality and Blair just needs a good run with injuries. The coach is no slouch either. Good on them. Last year is gone.

6. Roosters - we will come back to the pack a bit this season I think. I think we are probably two or three years away from winning a grand final. We've got a lot of key youngsters who are yet to peak and our side is still a bit unsettled. The time will come but we need to play regular finals football first. Carney and Pearce should get us into the Top 10, while the rest should push us to top 6. In other words, we will stay in the same spot on the ladder but won't make the GF.

7. Manly - good side on paper. Only concern is the halves. I'd be disappointed if were a manly fan if they couldn't make the eight without relying on the halves based on the rest of the sqaud.

8. Souths - I want them to make the finals. So they can get knocked out in the first week. Seriously though, have a good side on paper but big question marks about their halves.

9. Broncos - Lockyer isn't the player he used to be while Wallace is a hack. If these two don't perform then I think they will struggle. Also got a lot of players eligible for second year syndrome.

10. Raiders - Without Campese they might have made the eight just on the back of the pack and Vidot, Dugan, Croker and co, and new signing Orford. But if Orford doesn't play like some are suggesting they will be a top 10 side. Probably need the confidence of a few early wins to make a run.

11. Parra - Hayne, Mannah, Hindmarsh and Moi Moi should keep them off the bottom but beyond that? Still got HUGE question marks over their halves.

12. Cowboys - Johnson will bring a lot to the pack while Thurston is Thurston. Those two plus Tonga and Bowen should also keep them off the bottom but an injury or suspension to Thurston and one or two of the others and they are in trouble. And until they sort out a partner for Thurston they won't make the finals regularly.

13. Titans - tipping a big injury to Prince to end their season. But honestly, beyond Prince they do struggle with genuine playmakers, their pack is OLD and their backs - albeit speedy - aren't that great. The side hasn't really evolved over the years, and think last year was their best chance. They've had a good run but I think that run is over. I'd be pissed if I were a Titans fan given the poor evolution of the side.

14. Sharks - I'm expecting the Sharks to start to make their way off the bottom over the coming years, starting this season. Second best pack in the comp in my opinion, while Graham and Gardner are talented little sods. Smith is a huge signing. Gallen, Snowden, Smith and Douglas is one scary pack. Just a matter of stringing a few wins together.

15. Knights - It's all about Mullen isn't it? Gidley is a great player, but they can't rely on him all the time. The day Mullen gets his confidence and consistency back is the day the Knights start winning premierships. Costigan and Houston will bring a lot, while Uate will trouble a few centre/wing pairings over the coming season. But if they lose Mullen and/or Gidley, or Costigan and Houston are suspended, then it's a hard left on to Struggle Street. All five of them could be gone for Origin - four of them highly likely.

16. Panthers - the soccer star had a good season last season, but Walsh can't rely on kicking his way to victory any more. Until he can find another component to his game, or another partner in crime, then I think it's Struggle Street.

Grand final - Tigers have to be there. They've being building to this for a long time and this year is the best chance they will have in a long time. Beyond them, any of the other finals sides are a chance, except Souths and Manly.

typicalfan

Coach
Luke Walsh is not better than Jarrod Mullen. Walsh is pedestrian with a good kicking game but he relies heavily on his support. Mullen can be inconsistent but lacks the support, otherwise he is a good runner, passer and kicker of the ball and has good vision.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think Luke Walsh will have a hard time improving on 2010. He was solid with his kicking game, but it wasn't great. The bulk of our tries off kicks came through the skill and numbers in our kick chase. Not through his boot being magic.

So really he shouldn't have a hard time replicating his success with kicks this season, and if he even slightly varies his game up a bit with more running and passing then he will be well ahead of his 2010 automatically. Although in all honesty if he just improves his defence and is willing to put his body on the line that's the only improvement he truly needs.

Between him and Purtell they cost us a lot of points last season. Atleast Walsh made up for them with a heap of try assists and he comes out ahead on F/A. But Purtell would have leaked twice as many points as he contributed, if not more.

Teams will coach against his kicking game and will be tougher to replicate. Unless he changes his game he will quickly suffer because teams will be ready because he hasn't ever really offered a fantastic running or passing game.

Noname36

First Grade
Yeah he's not the best but still a lot better then Rodgers Mullen and lol Dureau who the Knights kept over him

Oh dear.

Although Walsh is more consistent, he's so far off Mullen's level talent wise, it's not even funny.

Rogers is a cat, but at least he has creativity unlike Walsh.

Walsh and Dureau are pretty much on par. Gun to head, I'd say Walsh is the better of the two. At least Walsh seems to be able to follow a game plan, and he's nowhere as bad in defense as Dureau is.

Butters

Bench
1 Melbourne
2 St George
3 Wests
4 Easts
5 Parramatta
6 Souths
7 Nth QLD
8 Cronulla

9 Canberra
10 Brisbane
11 Penrith
12 Newcastle
13 NZ
14 Gold Coast
15 Canterbury
16 Manly

Ladmate

Bench
From Footy Guide (SMH), here is Gus Gould's Ladder:

1. Tigers
2. Raiders
3. Dragons
4. Roosters
5. Broncos
6. Titans
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Rabbitohs
10. Bulldogs
11. Eels
12. Knights
13. Warriors
14. Panthers
15. Sharks
16. Cowboys

mongoose

Coach

1. Tigers
2. Raiders
3. Dragons
4. Roosters
5. Broncos
6. Titans
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Rabbitohs
10. Bulldogs
11. Eels
12. Knights
13. Warriors
14. Panthers
15. Sharks
16. Cowboys

Wow, im in shock!! Gus Gould not only tipping the raiders to finish in the top 8 but top 2??

AuDragon

Juniors

1. Tigers
2. Raiders
3. Dragons
4. Roosters
5. Broncos
6. Titans
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Rabbitohs
10. Bulldogs
11. Eels
12. Knights
13. Warriors
14. Panthers
15. Sharks
16. Cowboys
The Warriors are way too low on this table, and the Dogs will probably end up higher too. For what it's worth, my prediction:

1- Tigers
2- Dragons
3- Roosters
4- Raiders
5- Warriors
6- Broncos
7- Sea Eagles
8- Bulldogs

9- Titans
10-Storm
11-Souths
12-Panthers
13-Eels
14-Knights
15-Cowboys
16-Sharks

One Warrior

Bench

1. Tigers
2. Raiders
3. Dragons
4. Roosters
5. Broncos
6. Titans
7. Sea Eagles
8. Storm

9. Rabbitohs
10. Bulldogs
11. Eels
12. Knights
13. Warriors
14. Panthers
15. Sharks
16. Cowboys

That's just standard from Phil Gould in regards to The Warriors, last year he predicted us to be in his words "Last, Last, Last". So we finish 5th with a massive injury toll through the season, including Price for the entire season, we effectively only really lose Tate, but add Mateo and Berrigan and he thinks we will finish 13th this year. Buzz Rothfield also thinks we will finish 13th, all up I'd say more ammuntion to fire up the team.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ignoring the fact that Hodkinson is arguably the best defensive halfback in the comp I agree with your sentiments. Although their main improvements are in their forward pack... maybe a list of their forward recruits would be a better reflection of why people are rating them.

When did Canterbury sign Jeff Robson?

schubie666

Juniors
My top 8 will be in no special order
1 st.george
2 broncos
3 tigers
4 titans
5 knights
6 cowboys
7 warriors
8 roosters
16 rabbits stripped of all points for breaching salery cap

Dazraider

Juniors
1.Dragons(still think their defense will keep them on top)
2.Warriors(full side they will win plenty this year three really good buys)
3.Roosters(Carney to still be on fire and Pearce to be even better this year)
4.Raider(biased opinion but hoping we can win more than we lose before campo comes back)
5.Knights(good forward pack with a very good backline)
6.Tigers(al out attacking side who surely will be in the 8)
7,Broncos(all fit they will make the 8 this year)
8.Titans(with prince still at the helm they are sure to be top 8)

9.Manly
10.Storm
11.Eels
12.Dogs
13.Souths
14.Cowboys
15.Panthers
16,Sharks

all players fit this would be my order and im sure like last year ill get 5 from 8 again

Latest posts