What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Memberships

adamkungl

Immortal
If there's anywhere the Tigers shouldn't be playing, it's the SFS. They are the Wests Tigers, how the f**k can they justify playing EAST of the city?

Inner-West is pretty close to the SFS. And SFS is a good stadium, whereas ANZ is balls. SCG is even worse.

4-4-4 is the best split for Tigers. Ditch the SCG, sh*thole.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
If there's anywhere the Tigers shouldn't be playing, it's the SFS. They are the Wests Tigers, how the f**k can they justify playing EAST of the city?

SFS is the best non-suburban league ground in the city and we are privileged to be able to use it.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Leichhardt imo is not fit for nrl games and is stunting tigers growth

they should play 6 games at SFS and 6 at ANZ

nah
I think the Tigers are one club that has got it right

bigger venues for bigger games .. if they're going well & playing another sydney side doing well too .. they won't lock people out .. or at least it is less likely

& for the teams that don't bring away fans like cross city rivals would,
their smaller more intimate spiritual homes .. in their two areas Balmain & Campbelltown.
they almost always sell Leichardt out .. for sides Like the Cowboys .. Canberra etc , & attract big crowds at Campbelltown too
its the perfect balance.

well to be far, anybody can have any opinion of any stadium. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong.

But the Tigers shouldn't be playing at ANZ at all, Campbelltown is still a good stadium.

I'd hate to see you're idea of a bad stadium if you think Campbelltown is good.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Inner-West is pretty close to the SFS. And SFS is a good stadium, whereas ANZ is balls. SCG is even worse.

4-4-4 is the best split for Tigers. Ditch the SCG, sh*thole.
ah no
if your going to Celebrate Grand Finals of the past properly
like the 60's GF battles between Wests , Balmain & St George ... then the venue has to be the SCG

the 1975 GF celebrations between St George & the Roosters last year drew 38,000 fans
so not too many people agree with your assesment of the ground

the SCG is fine for one or two games a year .. & the punters agree.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The only thing the Tigers do east of the city I agree with is an annual game at the SCG. Fantastic idea IMO.

As for ANZ being "balls", at least it classifies in some way as being "Western Sydney".

Almost as farcical as South Sydney playing at ANZ.

BDGS

Bench
ah no
if your going to Celebrate Grand Finals of the past properly
like the 60's GF battles between Wests , Balmain & St George ... then the venue has to be the SCG

the 1975 GF celebrations between St George & the Roosters last year drew 38,000 fans
so not too many people agree with your assesment of the ground

the SCG is fine for one or two games a year .. & the punters agree.

Yep, totally correct.

The SFS however is in need of an upgrade though, new coot of paint so to speak.

Dragon Dave

Bench
SCG is a great place for the odd game of footy. The Saints vs Easts match last year was one of my favourite games all year.

Balmain will never allow that.

why not?

its a joint venture. you should do what is best for the team not the former parts. IMO having 6 regular season games in one of your key areas is the best way. 3 games at leichart for the nostalga and 3 games at anz for big drawing games.

in any case isnt wests the stronger partner financially?

and i have nothing against leichardt. went last year for the sharks game. it was a great night out (except for the part where we land on the line but its not a try. whatever)

it shouldnt be a balmain vs wests thing it should be a wests tigers thing.

gronkathon

First Grade
The only thing the Tigers do east of the city I agree with is an annual game at the SCG. Fantastic idea IMO.

As for ANZ being "balls", at least it classifies in some way as being "Western Sydney".

Almost as farcical as South Sydney playing at ANZ.

I had forgotten how bad ANZ was for club football until I attended the Souths V Tigers match last year. A terrible, cavernous joke and I won't wast my money again to be honest.

Finals games are an exception as the atmosphere balances out the disadvantages

skeepe

Immortal
For mine, if you cant vote and dont go to the footy at all, you are not a member. But that is IMO apparently.

In that case, the Raiders (and I'm sure some other clubs, not sure of the structures) would have zero members in perpetuity because no member has voting rights.

Anybody who contributes to the club financially is a member.

joshreading

Staff member
As good as that sounds, i really don't want to go down the path of the AFL and having something like 4-5 teams playing out of one venue.

How terrible would it be to allow more people to enjoy our game, to help ensure the survival of our clubs. To play before crowds that are a reflection of the amazing game we have.

Just imagine how terrible it would be to have an average of THIRTY EIGHT THOUSAND!!!!

dimitri

First Grade

In a car it takes very little time to get from SFS to leichhardt.

They may be wests in name, but are still 50% Balmain.

Hence if they played 50% SFS, 50% ANZ or similar - you cover both areas and can also benefit commerically

dimitri

First Grade
How terrible would it be to allow more people to enjoy our game, to help ensure the survival of our clubs. To play before crowds that are a reflection of the amazing game we have.

Just imagine how terrible it would be to have an average of THIRTY EIGHT THOUSAND!!!!

hahah I AGREE COMPLETELY

BDGS

Bench

We aren't in a position to do that though.

If ANZ stadium became the home of 4 NRL clubs it would result in nothing but a lot of empty seats. Hell we have some empty seats at the smaller venues.

Plus, anybody that knows anything about Rugby League history know the connection teams have to their HOME ground, not some stadium that all teams play at.

Thats why St. George Illawarra keep updating Win Stadium and Win jubilee Stadium instead of moving to ANZ or the SFS.

That's why Parramatta plays at Parramatta Stadium.

Thats why South Sydney and Canterbury are upgrading and redeveloping Redfern and Belmore.

Ask the fans of Souths and the dogs, they don't want to be at ANZ they want to be at their spiritual home grounds.

ANZ Stadium is a great stadium but if we ended up having all western Sydney teams plus others playing there ... that would kill off a little bit of the foundations of the game.

The AFL can do whatever they want, they have shown they don't give a stuff about anything but $$$$$.

joshreading

Staff member
I have never suggested all teams play out of ANZ, simply that grounds like Leichhardt are coming to the end of their viability.

It wasn't that long ago that AFL teams were playing to 15 thousand as well. A team like the Bulldogs and Tigers should be aiming for a day (in the next ten years) when thirty thousand is fairly common.

South Sydney is NOT upgrading Redfern to go back and play there permanently. They ALREADY have more season ticket holders than the capacity of Redfern
Bulldogs will NOT move back to Belmore - the capacity/corporate facilities simply cannot justify moving back. Bulldogs can becoming MASSIVE if they continue their course.

People say that the AFL just care about money (it maybe true) but it is far more complex than that. They think their game is the best and everyone should have the chance to watch it. (obviously I think such is RUBBISH) but that should be the NRL attitude as well.

The Old grounds are like Museums, they give a sense of history, connect us to our roots but very few of us want to actually live there despite the Old men ranting about the 'good ole days'

That a ground is a teams 'spiritual' home means little if the 'congregation' can't fit.

BDGS

Bench
I have never suggested all teams play out of ANZ, simply that grounds like Leichhardt are coming to the end of their viability.

It wasn't that long ago that AFL teams were playing to 15 thousand as well. A team like the Bulldogs and Tigers should be aiming for a day (in the next ten years) when thirty thousand is fairly common.

South Sydney is NOT upgrading Redfern to go back and play there permanently. They ALREADY have more season ticket holders than the capacity of Redfern
Bulldogs will NOT move back to Belmore - the capacity/corporate facilities simply cannot justify moving back. Bulldogs can becoming MASSIVE if they continue their course.

People say that the AFL just care about money (it maybe true) but it is far more complex than that. They think their game is the best and everyone should have the chance to watch it. (obviously I think such is RUBBISH) but that should be the NRL attitude as well.

The Old grounds are like Museums, they give a sense of history, connect us to our roots but very few of us want to actually live there despite the Old men ranting about the 'good ole days'

That a ground is a teams 'spiritual' home means little if the 'congregation' can't fit.

The Dogs are currently started a 3 stage process of upgrading Belmore sports ground. Stage one has started, details of staged one are below

· New gymnasium, administrative offices and video conferencing room;
· Upgrade of the existing change rooms and amenities;
· Conversion of the existing function room to a Community Function Facility
· Bird proofing of the underside of the grandstand and associated repairs to the corporate boxes;
· Upgrading and extensions to the change room and amenities in Peter Moore Field, including the construction of a disabled persons toilet and a canteen;
· Repair and replacement of perimeter fencing and entry gates; and,
· Signage upgrades and miscellaneous works.

It is foreseeable that if all goes well and all stages are passed by the respective governments the dogs could be playing out of a 35-40k Belmore sport ground in 10 years.

Meaning you could get mid 30k averages at the stadium.

I'm sure i heard something up South potentially re-building a stadium at Redfern to play out in the future, those plans could of been scrapped now though.