What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Memberships

age.s

First Grade
As good as that sounds, i really don't want to go down the path of the AFL and having something like 4-5 teams playing out of one venue.

Imagine if ANZ was a 60-70k seater rectangular cauldron purpose built for footy. Think Suncorp on roids or a slightly smaller San Siro. Something that wouldn't feel empty if 25k showed for a Tigers-Knights match, but big enough to give an incredible atmosphere when Parra play the Dogs in the semis. To have it in a central location would be unbelievable for Rugby League, not only for the convenience factor, but because going to a RL game would mean you'd get to experience an atmosphere we just don't get more than once or twice a year.

Suburban grounds shouldn't be turfed out completely, but neither should they be the only answer for Sydney clubs. Each club playing 3/4 games a year at their suburban ground for lower drawing matches or where there is a schedule conflict would allow us to pay homage to our roots without standing in the way of growing the sport.

The reason the AFL get such great crowd numbers is because they have 2 stadiums perfect for their sport that are no more than 30ks away from most of the city's residents (not sure if that's spot on details wise). RL would rival that popularity if it had a ground that was suitable, and it will become more viable if we continue to see these increases in membership numbers. IMO it should be something the NRL looks at when the money becomes available.

BDGS

Bench
Imagine if ANZ was a 60-70k seater rectangular cauldron purpose built for footy. Think Suncorp on roids or a slightly smaller San Siro. Something that wouldn't feel empty if 25k showed for a Tigers-Knights match, but big enough to give an incredible atmosphere when Parra play the Dogs in the semis. To have it in a central location would be unbelievable for Rugby League, not only for the convenience factor, but because going to a RL game would mean you'd get to experience an atmosphere we just don't get more than once or twice a year.

Suburban grounds shouldn't be turfed out completely, but neither should they be the only answer for Sydney clubs. Each club playing 3/4 games a year at their suburban ground for lower drawing matches or where there is a schedule conflict would allow us to pay homage to our roots without standing in the way of growing the sport.

I agree with this, but i would change it to an 8:4 ratio in favour of the suburban grounds.

Play your 4 highest average crowd attendances at ANZ or the SFS and play the rest of your 8 home games either in expansion areas or your spiritual home ground.

dimitri

First Grade

The reason the AFL get such great crowd numbers is because they have 2 stadiums perfect for their sport that are no more than 30ks away from most of the city's residents (not sure if that's spot on details wise). RL would rival that popularity if it had a ground that was suitable, and it will become more viable if we continue to see these increases in membership numbers. IMO it should be something the NRL looks at when the money becomes available.

if we got the soccer world cup - the blacktown stadium would have been something like that

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The Dogs are currently started a 3 stage process of upgrading Belmore sports ground. Stage one has started, details of staged one are below

It is foreseeable that if all goes well and all stages are passed by the respective governments the dogs could be playing out of a 35-40k Belmore sport ground in 10 years.

Meaning you could get mid 30k averages at the stadium.

I'm sure i heard something up South potentially re-building a stadium at Redfern to play out in the future, those plans could of been scrapped now though.

Would the residential areas around Belmore allow a development to 30K capacity? Sure their is a train station a few minutes walk away, but it would still involve cars flooding the area on matchdays.

If clubs can get their suburban grounds upgraded to the point of 25-30K seater then great but to be honest i can't see the government spending millions on upgrading all of the suburban gounds when the SFS and ANZ are available, not that i think every game should be played in them!

age.s

First Grade
if we got the soccer world cup - the blacktown stadium would have been something like that

Blacktown is a little too far out for many of the fans of the Tigers, Roosters and Rabbits, Dragons & Sharks in particular and it's not all that close for Dogs fans either. Great for Panther and Eel fans though and as I lived in Blacktown at the time there was a part of me that was hoping it would get up :D

Assuming though (as I believe is the case) that Sydney clubs have fans in all different areas of the city really any shared stadium should be located around Homebush. It's pretty much the geographical centre of the city, it's a reasonable distance from the majority of the city's population (unlike Blacktown) and has very good public transport. Blacktown would have been nice, but ultimately similar to ANZ in that it's not quite what RL in this city needs to reach the next level.

Eels Dude

Coach
Playing out of two grounds in Melbourne like the AFL clubs do work because all the Melbourne clubs are based in or around the CBD. The clubs don't represent different part of the entire city like Sydney clubs do. The Sydney clubs are very territorial and Parramatta represents Parramatta and the surrounding suburbs, same with Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Bulldogs etc.

BDGS

Bench
Would the residential areas around Belmore allow a development to 30K capacity? Sure their is a train station a few minutes walk away, but it would still involve cars flooding the area on matchdays.

If clubs can get their suburban grounds upgraded to the point of 25-30K seater then great but to be honest i can't see the government spending millions on upgrading all of the suburban gounds when the SFS and ANZ are available, not that i think every game should be played in them!

Well that remains to be seen. At the moment Belmore is listed to be able to holds a 25,000 capacity. Not sure if that is correct but it is on Austadiums.com If possible i would love another 10k onto that capacity.

It's a 3 stage plan atm, and within that is getting Governments to spend a few hundred thousand here and a few hundred thousand there rather then getting millions of dollars straight up. Hence the 10 yr plan.

To be honest i don't know that much about it, but i hear the plan is to upgrade certain parts of the stadium like listed in stage 1 so then they can present to the local government and state government a deal something along the lines of 'a stadium with such high quality of standard in area x requires areas x, x and x to be upgraded otherwise its looks like a new stadium build around an old one'

Or put simply a one-off let's get it done handout of $100-mil can't be justified in the current economic climate. It therefore has to be gradual.

Or as stated on another forum site

"I think it's kind of clever ...

* Upgrade the perimiter of the site on BOTH sides.
* Upgrade the facilities and a multi-million $$$ office face lift.
* Attract more users to Peter Moore Field.
* Host a conference or two, in the new rooms.

All of a sudden the place has a stronger pulse, and you can justify further monies, for further upgrades later on.

Harder to get a YES for $100 million - Easier to get multiple YES's over time and smaller-ish donations from Govt."

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Playing out of two grounds in Melbourne like the AFL clubs do work because all the Melbourne clubs are based in or around the CBD. The clubs don't represent different part of the entire city like Sydney clubs do. The Sydney clubs are very territorial and Parramatta represents Parramatta and the surrounding suburbs, same with Penrith, Manly, Cronulla, Bulldogs etc.

All the teams would continue to do so with a central stadium. Not suggesting burning Shark Park or Parra Stadium to the ground. If you get the location right it wouldn't be a huge problem for fans in these areas to travel to the ground in much the same way fans of AFL teams travel from the outskirts of Melbourne, and there is no reason to completely stop playing games at suburban grounds.

A couple of mates of mine are Roosters fans. They go to the odd game, but there's no way they would consider membership because the SFS is a bitch to get to. There must be similar problems for Eels fans living in the south of Sydney, or a Sharks fan living in the Hills district.

ouwet

Bench

Exactly! The residence will be up in arms (Most would not be supporters these days)... The streets around the stadium are shocking and small, parking LOL... The main reason why they left also (Besides the 1997 hill riot) was because of complaints from the Asian community who live at the Leagues club and the Pokies!!! Don't get me started on the amount of corporate sponsors we'd loss from a return in ANY capacity to Belmore!

Bulldogs will NEVER return to Belmore in a playing capacity besides a trial game (Maybe) and the juniors. They'll be based there (Offices and training) but will continue to play at Homebush Fulltime!

BDGS

Bench
no

the proposed stadium thats was in the world cup bid

Where were they going to build it?

I live around the area and don't know where you could fit in a purpose built 60k seat stadium.

ah well, lets bid for the next one and give lots of money in brown paper bags.

age.s

First Grade
Where were they going to build it?

I live around the area and don't know where you could fit in a purpose built 60k seat stadium.

ah well, lets bid for the next one and give lots of money in brown paper bags.

From memory it was going to be in the same area as the AFL stadium out on Eastern Rd. I think it's technically Doonside or Rooty Hill, but Blacktown had a nicer ring to it.

BDGS

Bench
Exactly! The residence will be up in arms (Most would not be supporters these days)... The streets around the stadium are shocking and small, parking LOL... The main reason why they left also (Besides the 1997 hill riot) was because of complaints from the Asian community who live at the Leagues club and the Pokies!!! Don't get me started on the amount of corporate sponsors we'd loss from a return in ANY capacity to Belmore!

Bulldogs will NEVER return to Belmore in a playing capacity besides a trial game (Maybe) and the juniors. They'll be based there (Offices and training) but will continue to play at Homebush Fulltime!

and enjoy a pathetic view of the greatest game of all. There is no reason why thee Dogs can not play NRL games at Belmore again if it all goes well.

As a great quote known around the bulldogs club 'you don't where you are going until you know where you have been'.

Hopefully for the sole of the club, we can get back there for at least one or two games a year. It would be a sure sell out for the NRL. Something the competitions lacks overall.

BDGS

Bench
From memory it was going to be in the same area as the AFL stadium out on Eastern Rd. I think it's technically Doonside or Rooty Hill, but Blacktown had a nicer ring to it.

Before the round-a-bout on that street/road heading towards Penrith way is Rooty hill, go right at the round about heading east from Rooty hill you will find Doonside (who are expecting a new stand at their local Rugby League teamhome ground), if you turn left you are heading towards plumpton.

ouwet

Bench
and enjoy a pathetic view of the greatest game of all. There is no reason why thee Dogs can not play NRL games at Belmore again if it all goes well.

As a great quote known around the bulldogs club 'you don't where you are going until you know where you have been'.

Hopefully for the sole of the club, we can get back there for at least one or two games a year. It would be a sure sell out for the NRL. Something the competitions lacks overall.

I didn't see games from 1990-1998 sell out (When i was enough to go Football) except V Parramatta in 1993 (Multi-cultural day) at Belmore Sports Ground! There is a reason why the Bulldogs Can Not play at Belmore and it's financial! I'm all for a trial game being played there but that's it!

I can imagine the rodents a game at Belmore would attract (We get enough try hards at Homebush let alone Belmore)...

Anyways they'd need to do something about the areas behind the posts, they are shocking... The Grandstand will need to upgraded 10 folds (Not just cleaned) as our corporate sponsers who pay anywhere from a few thousand to $50K a year (Not including the major sponsers who pay from 50K to a million + a year) would need to be wined and dined in style!!!! Parking problem would need to be taken care of, security, traffic and the roads! It's to much, will not happen!

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
ah no
if your going to Celebrate Grand Finals of the past properly
like the 60's GF battles between Wests , Balmain & St George ... then the venue has to be the SCG

the 1975 GF celebrations between St George & the Roosters last year drew 38,000 fans
so not too many people agree with your assesment of the ground

the SCG is fine for one or two games a year .. & the punters agree.

Pfft, the same crowd would have turned up next door, as they did a couple of months earlier.

It is a horrible RL ground and should be left in the past where it belongs.

Eels Dude

Coach
Before the round-a-bout on that street/road heading towards Penrith way is Rooty hill, go right at the round about heading east from Rooty hill you will find Doonside (who are expecting a new stand at their local Rugby League teamhome ground), if you turn left you are heading towards plumpton.

It would have been at the Blacktown Olympic Park complex, which is technically Rooty Hill. But as the last poster said Blacktown sounds better, everyone knows where it is (as opposed to Doonside and Rooty Hill) and it is based at the complex known only as 'Blacktown Olympic Park'.

adamkungl

Immortal
haha...Dogs will never go back to Belmore. Souffs should go back to the SFS. Everyone else should be aiming to keep upgrading the capacity of their stadiums to about 25k. Sell out the smaller grounds and play the 3-4 blockbusters at either the SFS or ANZ.

We'd be looking at averages of 25k + for everyone.