What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Australia Open Campaign

andrew057

First Grade
I youtube'd it too andrew057. Definitely ugly. Blake gave him the benefit of the doubt, I will too. A young Leyton Hewitt definitely rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, made mistakes as young man. Not the first, not the last as an athlete or young man growing up.

Each to their own. It was clearly a racist remark imo and the reasoning he tried to give at the press conference was laghable.

I've got no problem with people supporting Lleyton, I was always a fan of his game. But when people say stuff like "Shame of the Australian public" in regards to not liking/supporting the guy, thats enough for me.

Maybe it's just my stupidity being part of the Australian public and all :)

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Each to their own. It was clearly a racist remark imo and the reasoning he tried to give at the press conference was laghable.

I've got no problem with people supporting Lleyton, I was always a fan of his game. But when people say stuff like "Shame of the Australian public" in regards to not liking/supporting the guy, thats enough for me.

Maybe it's just my stupidity being part of the Australian public and all :)

I won't ignore the comment, though I will let it rest as it was 2001 and most seemed to have moved on. I don't agree with said comments either (both re: shame on Aussie public and some from Hewitt himself over course of career including the video you linked) - as you say, "each to their own". As a tennis player and one who more so than any modern day home grown star, Hewitt loves representing Australia and makes it a priority.

I have more time for a guy who is puts it all out there warts and all than someone like a Philippoussis who turned his back on Australia (98 was on example when feuding with our captain John Newcombe) on occasion.

I won't defend stupidity, though I am not ashamed to be on record as being a big Hewitt fan.

Last edited:
If Hewitt had the talent of any other player in the top 100, he'd be on of the all time greats. To the people who bag him, just remember, there are 4 men on tour who have won multiple grand slam events, Hewitt, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal. His wins are almost pure heart and he carried Aussie tennis on his shoulder for almost a year. I get it if you hate him, but his game deserves respect, he may not be ultra talented, but I can't think of any other Aussie sportsman who has more heart than him.

joshie

Live Update Team
good win by Hewitt! and some good discussion! I really do not mind him and I love his attitudes on the court. He is defiantly an entertainer and comical relief at times. I would love to see him win this year, but everyone has given up on him. I hope Novack is complacent.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Tomic v Federer clash; could be a beauty.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I have more time for a guy who is puts it all out there warts and all than someone like a Philippoussis who turned his back on Australia (98 was on example when feuding with our captain John Newcombe) on occasion.
Philippoussis did no such thing. It was Mark and 'Nuke' that had a falling out with each other. Scud never turned his back on us, he always had the Australian flag next to his name, never shouted abuse at the fans or his opponents and was always graceful in defeat. If I remember correctly, not once, but on TWO occassions, Scud won the decisive matches for the Davis in 1999.... AND 2003!

Frankly, if Nuke was giving him the shits and he couldn't play under those conditions, I don't blame him... everyone hates there bosses from time to time and at some stage the "I'm not going to deal with this shit anymore" will come out of them and take over. Can you blame him? I certainly can't!

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Story

"Roche indicated this week he might resign after Philippoussis, who has declined recently to play Davis Cup for Australia, accused him of showing bias towards Rafter by sitting in Rafter's box during the Open final." :lol: Really Dud?

The "Dud" declined to play in 1998 after some petty feud yet turned up to watch our first round loss to Zimbabwe. This guy was a Prima Donna who was a wasted talent. Defend him all you like, he turned his back on Australia declining on two or three occasions to play a role in our campaign.

I am not souring this thread with any more on this wasted talent. Enjoy.

If Scud had 1% of the heart Hewitt has he'd have been up there with Sampras and co his whole career. One of the most talented players ever but couldn't deliver on it, and a tosser to boot.

abpanther

Staff member
Hewitt is an obnoxious twat, guy freakin ejaculates every time he wins a point, it's embarassing to watch

Benesova is out, losing to Azarenka 6-2 6-2. Azarenka was very impressive there apart from a few double faults and a bit of a struggle to serve it out.

Danish

Referee
Hewitt is an obnoxious twat, guy freakin ejaculates every time he wins a point, it's embarassing to watch

Spoken like someone whose never watched a tennis match.

Every last player on the tour celebrates after a big point. Most actually carry on much more

abpanther

Staff member
Spoken like someone whose never watched a tennis match.

Every last player on the tour celebrates after a big point. Most actually carry on much more

I've watched plenty of tennis matches mate, I'm not an avid tennis follower but I watch a dozen or so games during grand slams.

No one celebrates as obnoxiously as he does, no one celebrates seemingly every f**ken point like he does.

Just my personal opinion, but I find him extremely irritating.

Bulldog Force

Referee
We'll agree to disagree on Philippoussis.
Benesova is out, losing to Azarenka 6-2 6-2. Azarenka was very impressive there apart from a few double faults and a bit of a struggle to serve it out.
Azarenka, I turned it on and heard her grunt, honestly thought it was Sharapova at first :lol: how much does her grunt sound like Marias? Imagine those 2 meet in this tournament... and epic grunt-a-thon is on the cards :D

We'll agree to disagree on Philippoussis.

Azarenka, I turned it on and heard her grunt, honestly thought it was Sharapova at first :lol: how much does her grunt sound like Marias? Imagine those 2 meet in this tournament... and epic grunt-a-thon is on the cards :D

The commentators noted that Jurgen Meltzer (Benesova's boyfriend) tweeted during the match asking if there was a mute button for RLA. I lolled.

joshie

Live Update Team
I beat my sister 6-0 in a one set match today. Absolutely stunning performance by me. could win a grand slam :p

joshie

Live Update Team
i do mate, i think he has a very high chance of winning it, he has already won a set off thee fed before and he has improved leaps and bounds. hes tall and determined. but will have to bbe at his best

Jono078

Referee
I give him no chance.

I really don't like Tomic's style of game tbh and Federer will be too good and hit a million winners against him.

In saying that good luck to Tomic if he beats fed, will be a massive effort!

Federer's performance will determine who wins. If he plays well, he'll win, not matter how well Tomic plays. If he plays poorly, Tomic is a chance. Knowing how often Roger plays poorly, I don't give Bernie much of a chance.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'd like to think he does, but I can't see it happening. I think he can take a set off him if he's at his best, but I don't really like his chances. Come tomorrow night, I don't think there will be any Aussies left in the open :(

Latest posts