What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

Scorcher

Juniors
My SG Ball tips

Tigers to roar home over the Vikings
Sea Eagles to dine on the Rabbits
Pamfers too good for the gummies
Roosters too plucky for the Dogs

magpie4ever

First Grade
HM results:

Parra (4) defeated Souths (1)
Balmain (3) defeated Panthers (2) - surprised with this one
Newcastle (5) defeated Canterbury (8)
Wests (6) defeated Saints (7)

So I take it the highest place loser plays the lowest place winner in week 2.

Therefore, it should be Souths v Wests and Penrith v Newcastle.

Regards,

KAB

Juniors
Parra - must have brought the A grade attitude today beating Souths convincingly
Penrith - very surprised, Tigers have played well all year and consist good forwards
Knights - where always going to beat the dogs. Knights migth be the smokey
West with the break and the Dragons losing alot of thier games against tough teams. West would always be a certain.

Can anyone tell me how the half Ethan Wright playing? He was in the SICC team last year. He must be having a good season. He should some talent last year but he had a young Jack Cogger (Trevor Cogger old maggie) in the team. Who was named CCC half.

Rocket

Juniors
A very solid win to the Raiders in SG, 40-8, to beat the previously undefeated Tigers. Anyone at the game able to comment on the game?

drake40

Juniors
yes i can i was there canberra were white hot blew balmain of the park and the balmain matts who no one gave a chance were outstanding

magpie4ever

First Grade
Seen Ethan play against Parra, seems to have formed a good combination with his 5/8. Talkative etc

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
The Raiders SG Ball side has been unstoppable for the last part of the season.

Balmain were pretty bad, just never engaged in the contest mentally, seems too much celebrating may have occured last week. Hope it wakes them up

Tucantango

Juniors
M4E,

... ... How about this for a prediction. The Magpies to go close to making the final if they make the eight ... ... As it stands the Magpies have had the hardest run this year and have played most of the best teams. When they have played these teams they have lossed narrowly, won, and drawn. Discounting their spanking againt Penrith the other week this is not bad form going into the finals and therefore the Magpies are my DARK HORSE to make the semi-finals or Grand Final ... ...

Regards,
Tuc.
:cool:

Beware the Magpies guys this team has good structure with a never say die attitude!

Admittedly the Dragons did snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Regards,
Tuc

magpie4ever

First Grade
Prediction (with no confidence) - Final: Parramatta v Wests. Reckon you would get big odds if you could get on.;-)

Regards,

Last edited by magpie4ever; 31-03-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Notice the date on my prediction and still a possibility

magpie4ever

First Grade
Hey Buddy,

Busy at work - solicitor??? What, counting your money or adjusting your 15 minute charge clock for the end of daylight saving. :crazy:

Prediction (with no confidence) - Final: Parramatta v Wests. Reckon you would get big odds if you could get on.;-)

Regards,

Now, it might make more sense:D

junior fan

Juniors
Hey Mr Tuc,

The Wests v Saints game must have been a corker, 90 minutes; unbelievable.

Regards,

The game was very ordinary and mistake ridden. Neither team seemingly wanted to win and I hate to think how the poor coaches would have been feeling. Saints had an easy lead 16-4 for much of the second half. Neither team seemed able to complete a set with the most dropped ball I'd ever seen in a jnr reps game. Then with 10 left Wests scored 2 quick tries from kicks ( probably the only way the could score). Then managed a third a good try to their captain. With just over a minute left dragons scored out wide and their centre calmly slotted it to level it and send it into extra time.

From their saints had many opportunities with Wests again dropping the ball numerous times but couldn't get it done. Drop goals in front went wide and tries were centimeters short or got pushed into touch.

Wests had a couple of chances again due to dropped ball from saints. One 40m shot from the half Wright went over the upright, the wests boys were already celebrating but was ruled wide. From the there were a few poor options Wests 12 tried to kick for himself and another play to score 5 out on the last when in either case a field goal would have done. In the end hats off to Wests the young half wright finally got a second chance and made no mistake to finish off the game.

Very sloppy game overall, Wests lack starch in the middle and unless they sort out their ball security will get trampled next week, presumably by souths. On the question on how Wright went he was probably Wests best along with their 8. His kicking game was solid setting up 2 tries and good in general play. He was very industrious ad involved in everything.

Rocket

Juniors
The Raiders SG Ball side has been unstoppable for the last part of the season.

Balmain were pretty bad, just never engaged in the contest mentally, seems too much celebrating may have occured last week. Hope it wakes them up

Thanks for that. From the games I've seen them play while they have a few very talented individuals, there is also a level of mental toughness as a team that is often not quite there yet at the junior rep level.

I just hope they don't get ahead of themselves because they have a real shot at the title (and knowing some of the coaching staff they will be giving them a good dose of reality in the coming weeks!).

kbw

Bench
Saw the Bulldogs v Roosters game yesterday, pretty poor first half but the Roosters took control in the second. Much better team when Johnson #9 as well as Deitz #14 (or #16).

What is annoying is seeing the roosters HM doing so poorly (with few locals) yet last years U15 dev squad were very competitive.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The game was very ordinary and mistake ridden. Neither team seemingly wanted to win and I hate to think how the poor coaches would have been feeling. Saints had an easy lead 16-4 for much of the second half. Neither team seemed able to complete a set with the most dropped ball I'd ever seen in a jnr reps game.

-----------------

Very sloppy game overall, Wests lack starch in the middle and unless they sort out their ball security will get trampled next week, presumably by souths. On the question on how Wright went he was probably Wests best along with their 8. His kicking game was solid setting up 2 tries and good in general play. He was very industrious ad involved in everything.

Thanks JF,

While it sounds like a game that wouldn't read well from the "stats" book level; it must have been a game that had the players, coaches, parents and supporters on the edge of their seats from the middle of the 2nd half onwards. A great summary of the game, mate.

Go the peewees (junior maggies) - for showing that "Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood" attitude. You bloody beauty.:D

Regards,

Tucantango

Juniors
KBW,

I would have to agree with you on Deitz. For mine the turning point in the game came in the second half when Deitz passed a super quick long ball from near the halfway kickoff point to the right side centre, which incidentally, led to a the try that turned the game. Admittedly it came from amother Dogs dropped ball, but Deitz's reaction time and foresight in getting that ball across field was exceptional!

The Dogs lost way too much possession, and the ref didn't do them any favours either, it was a deplorable effort by the man in the middle. Nevertheless the Dogs continually handed over possession to the Roosters and they wore the Dogs out with their big offloading forwards. I believe the Roosters did not drop any ball at all in the second half, a great effort.

M4E,

The Wests game was by far the best to watch. I think Junior Fan is expecting way to much in terms of standard. Essentially they are junior reps and mistake rates are always going to be high (Toyota Cup is only marginally better). Ultimately JF is right, as both teams couldn't convert their numerous opportunities in golden point but it didnt detract from the edge of your seat spectacle which the match did become!

With regard to Wests not having any starch in the middle they sure showed plenty in the second half and also golden point! As i said in an earlier post, the Dragons snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! My heart went out to the young Dragons winger who dropped the ball in golden point to go over in the corner to secure victory. The pass was a sitter and should have been taken, however as stated before they are only young lads and many of his team mates dropped more ball; his just happened to be in golden point near the try line unmarked!

As predicted the HM Dogs were outplayed by a well structured Knights teams. They never looked to be in the game. I was impressed with the performances of Brad Mullins the full-back (who happens to be the son of the Canberra and Blues legend, Brett Mullins) and as usual Sione Mata'utia. These two will definitely figure in the NSW U/16 selections. On the other hand I was not impressed with Tevita Pangai. For mine he is not a team player and forgets that he even has team mates ready to accept offloads!

Canberra and Parra as champions is now my bold prediction (more of a wish actually). Go the Magpies!!!!!!

Regards,
Tuc

Last edited:

Tucantango

Juniors
M4E,

By the way how did young Scotty go? I heard he's been traveling fairly well this year! Better still I would love to hear your expert opinion on his Coach (at the end of the day your probably the only one on this site that has actually played SG Ball).. It somewhat of an anomoly the Parra HM coach is also a teacher at Kings!

Regards,
Tuc

magpie4ever

First Grade
M4E,

By the way how did young Scotty go? I heard he's been traveling fairly well this year! Better still I would love to hear your expert opinion on his Coach (at the end of the day your probably the only one on this site that has actually played SG Ball).. It somewhat of an anomoly the Parra HM coach is also a teacher at Kings!

Regards,
Tuc

I been told ;-) he was not included in the line up due to his injury. I believe will be right for the Week 3 but whether he can force his way into the 17 is the question; which will be a pity as he seemingly has been in the 17 all comp until he couldn't play against the Bears in the final round. I would rate him the best dummy half/hooker in the squad - quick accurate pass, gets his forwards running off him, great defender and speed when he scoots; not bad for the best fullback for his age in the Parra comp (that's not having a go at the imcumbent fullback - totally different styles and Dylan is a top notch goal kicker) but he has blown him off the park whenever they have played against each other - that's my unbias opinion, anyway:D.

The coach??? Seems to have given all 25-26 players reasonable time on the field during the comp and got the results - which is good. As for playing Ball, M4E that was a long time ago :D and the game is a totally different species from what I played. Hutchison - name doesn't ring a bell; does he have a background in league?

Regards,

magpie4ever

First Grade
I see the semis in HM this weekend are:

Souths v Newcastle and Penrith v Wests

Souths finished 1st then lost the qualifer against 4th placed Parra
Newcastle finished 5th then won their semi against 8th placed Canterbury
Penrith finished 2nd then lost their qualifier against 3rd place Balmain
Wests finished 6th then won their semi against 7th placed Saints

Now, Souths (1) plays Newcastle (5) and Penrith (2) plays Wests (6).

Reckon the Bunnies would not be to happy with this system (and I believe it's a flaw in the system to be used in the NRL); surely the highest placed loser from week 1 should play the lowest placed winner from round 1.

Any opinions??

Regards,