What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Ant

Juniors
My side
1. Stewart: until recently I had hayne but is showing no origin urgency. In attack Stewart is the closest to slater great speed and timing and ability to link well.
2. Morris in good form.
3. Jennings genuine threat always dangerous at left side centre. Although if he is not 100% fit Morris comes in.
4. Lawrence a right side player gives him the edge over Morris.
5. Hate right wing easy pick best winger in the game.
6. Carney adss huge attacking threat will control left side but halves able to move and combine. We need points and x factor if not for booze he would have been six last year.
7. Pearce tough and will control right side, has a combo with carney so not starting fom scratch great in city country
8. Gallen first picked to start up front then move to lock, playing a tight role but can be used on edge in attack
9. Hinchcliffe starts at hooker for tough stuff, then plays back row rest of the game, either on right edge or core.
10. Galloway we need a big man who can dominate and that's big Keith with gallen up front we have plenty of mobility.
11. Williams. left side get him out there to cause trouble. Don t care if he only lasts ten or 15 mins because one run by him can make the difference.
12. Lewis starts on the right edge, like him more on the edge than in the middle
13. Watmough to start in the core and be an option on left edge.
14. Farrah comes on after 15-20 mins adding creative player in great form
15. Sims just a powerhouse on the edge can play left or right side, will be a menace in attack and defence
16. Mannah anyone watching parra will know this bloke is going great guns. Really charging, he finds his front everytime and hits the line and pushes through. He is a must and his mobility allows gallen to switch to lock.
17. Tamou big unit has ability to offload he and Galloway to interchange.

In addition I would have josh Morris Glenn Stewart and Trent merrin join the squad as they could be required.

You can't plan interchanges but if the game went to plan my twelve.
1. 15 mins Galloway off. Tamou on.
2. 15 mins Williams off mannah on. Gallen to lock and watmough to left edge.
3. 25 mins Hinchliffe off. Farrah on.
4. 25 mins Lewis off. Sims on to right edge.
5. 35 min tamou off Galloway on.
6. 50 min watmough off Williams to left edge.
7. 50 min gallen off Hinchliffe to lock.
8. 55 min Galloway off tamou on.
9. 58 min sims off Lewis on to right edge
10. 60 min Mannah off gallen to prop.
11. 65 min Williams off watmough onto left edge.
12. Watch the game if going to plan in last five replace either Hinchliffe, tamou with mannah. If you need points look at injecting sims or Williams.

Game time
Backs 80 mins
Gallen 70 mins
Watmough 65 mins
Farrah 55 mins
Hinchliffe 55 mins
Mannah 50 mins
Lewis 47 mins
Tamou 40 mins
Galloway 35 mins
Sims 33 mins
Williams 30 mins

Look that's a plan, but you would change depending on the match and how players are feeling. The advantage you have is versatility.
Gallen can play tight as prop and lock and use right edge if needed.
Lewis can play tight and either edge and provides cover at centre.
Hinchliffe can play hooker, plus tight lock or edge
Watmough can play tight as wells left edge.
Farrah can cover hooker and halves.
It you can just rotate the props to suit with gallen chipping in. And use sims And Williams as your weapons on the edge in shorter bursts.

The unlucky one is Glenn Stewart, but I want sims and Williams we need points to win, so I think Stewart goes head to head with Lewis And Lewis gives you cover at centre. I also think you need three genuine props. Galloway would miss out if you picked Stewart.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Good rotation and good team. It won't go 100% to plan but I like it. I assume by Hate you mean Uate? No Hanyne though? I'd have him over BMoz.

Let's just hope Sticky gets it right he's a bit of a joke as a coch and he needs the boot soon. But it we do kick him out who do we put in his place?

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
1. Brett Stewart
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. UAte
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10.Weyman
11.Bird
12.Watmough
13.Lewis

14.Hayne
15.Tamou
16.Mannah
17.Sims

Backup Fullback: Dugan
Backup Winger: Hayne
Backup Centre: Lawrence
Backup 5 / 8: Mullen
Backup Halfback: Wallace
Backup Prop: Aaron Woods
Backup Hooker : Ennis
Backup Second Row/Lock: Tony Williams
Backup Utility: Hinchcliffe

glockers

Juniors
The City Country game highlighted our lack of wingers.

We have Turner and Ferguson picked in an Origin trial. I also don't rate Morris that highly.

I have to throw this out there, should Beau Ryan be considered?

He has shown good defensive positioning, is solid under the high ball, can finish an attack, has a good work rate and a little creativity (see his try against Parra).

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
I have to throw this out there, should Beau Ryan be considered?

He has shown good defensive positioning, is solid under the high ball, can finish an attack, has a good work rate and a little creativity (see his try against Parra).

Too slow unfortunately IMO. The reason he has a bit of creativity is that he doesn't have the pace to back himself

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Hardly ground breaking but Ricky Stuart said pretty much Glenn Stewart and Greg Bird will be in Origin 1.

Also said he called a very young player who is right in the mix. Who could that be I don't know, Aaron Woods maybe.

Tweed Titan

Bench
farah won't get picked for the sheer fact that he'll unsettle the structure. the bloke can't help himself getting involved in the playmaking or kicking the ball from the ruck, etc.

NSW needs a dummy half who is strong in the middle of defence, can read the play and pick the right moments to steal metres from the ruck, and otherwise be disciplined in distributing good quick ball to the left-side and right-side 1st receivers. farah doesn't have this discipline and will invariably try and take it upon himself to be a playmaker. it may appear that he's having a great game due to him being involved often but it unsettles the structure of the team.

his game compliments the tigers structure because they have only really had marshall the main reliable half, but in a rep side that will already have two picked for this role, farah will get in the way. this is why he is rarely picked.

That explains it all, thanks Ricky. (Or are you Michael Ennis)
Heaven forbid wanting a reliable kicking option from your hooker. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ladmate

Bench
Tariq seems like a certainty too. I think Woods got his call, because he played outstanding yesterday. I think Hinchcliffe is hooker which is why he is worrying about a utility.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Dugan, Jennings first choices, but concerned about injury.

Loves Hayne he is in.

Hopefully for that hack Morris. Can't believe people are really considering B Morris over Hayne. :crazy:

Morris' form hasn't been good the last few games either, yet Hayne gets criticised and Morris doesn't. I agree Hayne looked bog ordinary against the Bulldogs but put him in a decent team and we know he will aim up. There are obviously issues at the Eels that are affecting his performance in that environment.

I understand a few people got moderately rich backing the Morris brothers as first try scorers on TAB a few years ago but they have shown they are in the Steve Turner mould in SOO.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I feel a bit more comfortable now knowing Stewart, Sims and co will be there. I'm a bit more confident to in the sense I think he will pick a strong team this year and pick something similar to we named here.

By that definties are certainly: Gallen (Obvious), Bird, GStewart, Jennings (He will be fit), Dugan (If fit), Tariq Sims (YEAH!!), Pearce and Uate.

With that I think it leaves Hayne on the other wing. Center of either JMoz or Lawrence. Carney in the halves and a FR/BR that is in the mix and depends on the play-style he wants. Either way we will have a strong pack. I'd still have Williams there to partner damaging runs with Sims. If Carney/Pearce can get them good ball they can do some devastating runs no doubt.

Bring on Origin 2012!