What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Joker's Wild

Coach
As a QLD supporter, I would rather NSW pick Carney/Pearce. I don't think Carney has much to offer at SOO level, and Pearce goes missing in the big games. I'd prefer they didn't pick Wallace as I think his organisation of the Broncos this season, combined with his kicking game, has been excellent. With Wallace there to organise and steer the team around, it would free Carney up to run the ball a bit more and get early ball to Jennings and co.

Carney/Pearce will get rolled over out wide by Thaiday, Gillet, Taylor and co.

While some of what you say here is true, the bolded part is wide of the mark in the case of Pearce. He is probably the best defencive halfback in the game and made Thaiday his bitch every time they came together last year.

Like Hellteam has siad, Wallace is looking good due to having a great side around him doing their job and making it very easy for him. He offers absolutely nothing more than Pearce

Earl

Coach
Wallace/Pearce and Carney/Mullen will be the City/Country halves.

It will be hard for Soward to play himself into contention next weekend considering he'll be at home molesting himself.

While some of what you say here is true, the bolded part is wide of the mark in the case of Pearce. He is probably the best defencive halfback in the game and made Thaiday his bitch every time they came together last year.

1:30 mark on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uap1eAs44yk

Thaiday just loves being Pearce's bitch. He wishes it could happen 10 times per game.

Pearce does it effortlessly. Heck, he didn't even have to take one step nor lay-on one finger to make Thaiday his bitch.

What a weapon.

Rod

Bench
The point stands that Pearce handled Thaiday and indeed his entire defensive load very well last series. Criticise his lack of creativity all you want but his defence is solid.

You know what I get sick of reading, is constant articles from NRL coaches saying such and such from their team should be picked for Origin. Today it's Griffin saying Wallace should be picked, but it happens all the time. I wish they'd just shut up and let the team be picked.

Big Pete

Referee
Joker's Wild said:
He is probably the best defencive halfback in the game and made Thaiday his bitch every time they came together last year.

One game doesn't mean every time.

Thaiday was a victim of Nielsen's poor positioning. Lockyer kept wanting to go the cut-out pass but Nielsen would put himself in an awkward position so he'd have to throw a hospital pass to Sammy who was always well marked.

Joker's Wild

Coach
That maybe so Pete but Pearce still handled a big, hard running player coming at him multiple times. There is absolutely no reason to believe he couldnt handle him again too and that was my original point. Defending against forwards running at him is not something we need to worry about

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah I don't think you'll be too concerned with Pearce although he'll be under more pressure than he was last year if Qld have their way. Carney on the other hand is somebody I'd be concerned about defensively and arguably more so than Soward.

gUt

Coach
The Morris twins have surprised me with their consistent form this season. Right now my NSW backline would be

1. Hayne
2. B Moz
3. J Moz
4. Jennings
5. Uate

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah I don't think you'll be too concerned with Pearce although he'll be under more pressure than he was last year if Qld have their way. Carney on the other hand is somebody I'd be concerned about defensively and arguably more so than Soward.

Halves are defencive concern for all teams really and it comes down to how you structure the team around them to minimise that risk. Carney and Soward will attract traffic so they will need to be "protected", even if it is just to make sure they arnt worn out by a high workload.

TBH if we are picking halves based on their defencive prowess then we will be pushing shit uphill in trying to compete with Qld. We need points to win

Big Pete

Referee
Obviously but by the same token if you're choosing between a bunch of similar players than surely you go with the better overall option.

And truth be told, that's probably Mullen & Pearce.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You think? I love Mullo but Im not convinced he is a better option than Todd at this stage. Jarrod was terrible for most of last year and has a ways to go to convince even Newcastle supporters that he has turned a corner with his consistency and mental game. He was very prone to curling up when things got tough and it doesnt get much tougher than SOO.

Carney has had his ups and downs too but has proven to be able to get up for the big occasions. That gets him over the line in my opinion

RABK

Referee
If you want the best balance between attack and defence yu'd have to go

6. Campese/Mullen
7. Pearce/Wallace

RABK

Referee
You think? I love Mullo but Im not convinced he is a better option than Todd at this stage. Jarrod was terrible for most of last year and has a ways to go to convince even Newcastle supporters that he has turned a corner with his consistency and mental game. He was very prone to curling up when things got tough and it doesnt get much tougher than SOO.

Carney has had his ups and downs too but has proven to be able to get up for the big occasions. That gets him over the line in my opinion

I think what Pete means by 'overall' best selection is players who are a 7/10+ in both attack and defence.

EG Mullen and Pearce might be 7/10 in both where as carney might push a 8 or even 9 in attack but struggle to get a 6 in defence.

abpanther

Staff member
I just don't get the love for Mullen.

Whenever I watch him play, he's generally invisible for most of the game, then he does something brilliantly individually, then he disappears again.

I haven't seen any consistency from him, the others have shown more IMO (Wallace, Carney, etc)

RABK

Referee
I don't know if Carney has proven anything on any big stage. I didn't think he did anything of note in the 2010 finals series - i thought it was Anasta who lifted a couple of gears and came up with some crucial plays for the Roosters.

Pearce and Carney were fairly pedestrian throughout the finals, especially on the biggest day of all.

I'm still for a Pearce and Carney combo, but to say Carney gets up for the big occasions is a real stretch.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I don't know if Carney has proven anything on any big stage. I didn't think he did anything of note in the 2010 finals series - i thought it was Anasta who lifted a couple of gears and came up with some crucial plays for the Roosters.

Pearce and Carney were fairly pedestrian throughout the finals, especially on the biggest day of all.

I'm still for a Pearce and Carney combo, but to say Carney gets up for the big occasions is a real stretch.

I disagree mate. I thought Carney was excellent in their win over the Panthers and especially the Titans in 2010. He did get shut down very well in the GF though but that was more to do with how well the Dragons prepared than Carney going missing

RABK

Referee
I just don't get the love for Mullen.

Whenever I watch him play, he's generally invisible for most of the game, then he does something brilliantly individually, then he disappears again.

I haven't seen any consistency from him, the others have shown more IMO (Wallace, Carney, etc)

He's far from invisible. His consistency can clop flack deservedly but he always gets the 2nd amount of touches behind our starting hooker as all key halves do. He's always involved and never goes missing physically - just mentally.

His long kicking game is rivalled only by Soward for consistently finding grass and no one can doubt his left to right cut out is probably the best in the game.

He has plenty going for him but his weak mentality undone it all, but this year as anyone who has watch Knights games would see clearly, he has clearly matured and is becoming a much stronger player mentally to back up his talents.