What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

jbl31649

Juniors
Steve Mortimer was on sportsline last night. The bench he selected was :

Creagh
Hoffman
Mateo
Hinchcliffe

I LOLd....not ONE prop of the bench and two players who have NOT performed in origin in Creagh and Hoffman.

Edit.

T.Simms
Hoffman
T.Williams
Hinchcliffe

There! One Prop/2nd Row, rest second row (and T-Rex if needed can go outside backs). And Hinchcliffe with utility value.

Now we add the test players Gallen, Watmough, James Tamou and we almost have our forward pack.

Lewis, Bird likely (as fitness test for G.Stewart is needed) plus Farah and where sweet for the fatties.

# If G.Stewart or T-Rex aren't fit, then Mateo.

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Surely not Hoffman, itll be like selecting Creagh. He'll be average on the park and nothing more.

jbl31649

Juniors
Surely not Hoffman, itll be like selecting Creagh. He'll be average on the park and nothing more.

I like his desperation for the loose ball. What every you may think of him, thats the sought of attitude required in SOO. He had a big game and has to be on the selectors radar.

Rod

Bench
Steve Mortimer was on sportsline last night. The bench he selected was :

Creagh
Hoffman
Mateo
Hinchcliffe

I LOLd....not ONE prop of the bench and two players who have NOT performed in origin in Creagh and Hoffman.

I reckon you could go through this entire thread and you won't find a bench that is worse than that. Wow.

The Gambler

Juniors
For what it is worth, Hoffman was right up their as one of the best forwards in the match on Sunday.

I was actually surprised by his game. He made several strong runs up the middle, which is not something he often does for Melbourne.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Considering we have a 200kg wide running back rower that avoids the ruck like the plague then that type of player isn't completely lost in the origin scheme.

Agree that a blokes like Tariq and TRex who are good at it 20m from the line but also good at getting the hard metres and can really sting in defence to fire things up would be much better off

Valheru

Coach
Using the city/country match as a measuring stick I thought Pearce did more than enough to warrant his place at halfback. He controlled the city team well with a good long and short kicking game and had a hand in all the tries.

I would put Carney in at 6. Yes he had a slow start but he offers that ex-factor which complements Pearce’s consistency. On his day Carney is the best half in the game (JT and Cronk included). It has been clear for about 4 years now (excluding 09 for obvious reasons) that Carney is the answer at 5/8 and I think the risk of him having a bad game is worth it.

I don’t particularly like Robbie Farah but he certainly put his hand up for the hooking role with his performance on Sunday. He has had an ordinary regular season but TBH I can’t see why people are on the Buderus bandwagon as his comeback has been indifferent at best.

Fullback offers an interesting conundrum. Dugan and Stewart are clearly the best options but are under injury clouds and the selectors/coach/media are obsessed with the ‘need’ to “fit Hayne in somewhere” that it will probably be him despite his woeful form. I have a sneaking suspicion that Minichiello is closer to retaining his place than most people believe.

jbl31649

Juniors
Does anyone know where Jennings is with his injury?

If his good I'll add to my forwards with the back line.

1. Stewart (his defence has been rock solid and his talking aswell)
2. Dugan (He'll be fine on the wing) or Hayne
3. Jennings
4. ? probably J.Morris or Hayne
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Watmough
12. Lewis
13. Bird

Interchange
14. T.Simms
15. Hoffman
16. T.Williams (Pending fitness) or Meteo
17. Hinchcliffe (more likely Gidley)

18. Glen Stewart (again pending fitness could replace one).

Team is based on Test players, last years SOO and CvC performance

Goddo

Bench
Does anyone know where Jennings is with his injury?

If his good I'll add to my forwards with the back line.

1. Stewart (his defence has been rock solid and his talking aswell)
2. Dugan (He'll be fine on the wing) or Hayne
3. Jennings
4. ? probably J.Morris or Hayne
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Watmough
12. Lewis
13. Bird

Interchange
14. T.Simms
15. Hoffman
16. T.Williams (Pending fitness) or Meteo
17. Hinchcliffe (more likely Gidley)

18. Glen Stewart (again pending fitness could replace one).

Team is based on Test players, last years SOO and CvC performance
I like that side. Could we see Hayne at 14 as the utility?

Mine for this year:

1 Stewart
2 Morris
3 Jennings
4 Hayne
5 Uate
6 Carney
7 Pearce
8 Weyman
9 Buderus
10 Gallen
11 Lewis
12 Watmough
13 Bird

14 Farah
15 Tamou
16 Sims/Williams
17 Manah

Dragon2010

First Grade
JBL - 1-2 weeks away. Only a minor pec strain. So we should see him for Penrith next week.

Goddo - Good team!

jbl31649

Juniors
That side I posted wasn't necessarily my opinion, but based on last years and current Test, SOO and CvC selections and current form.

It will be interesting to see if Ricky and Bob follow the same guidelines.

Vic Mackey

Referee
What I think we will see:

1. Stewart
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Scott
12. Bird
13. Watmough

14. Gidley
15. Lewis
16. Williams
17. Merrin

RABK

Referee
What I think we will see:

1. Stewart
2. Uate
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Buderus
10. Tamou
11. Scott
12. Bird
13. Watmough

14. Gidley
15. Lewis
16. Williams
17. Merrin

I think you may just be 100% spot on. But Ben Creagh for Williams/Bird.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I'm curious, why do you think Creagh should be selected? Or are you just attempting to predict what the selectors will go with?

He was predicting what the selectors will go with and to an extent I agree. In ways Creagh in form can be a damaging player I don't think he has the ticker for Origin though. Scott does.

Latest posts