What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Jersey, Logo, Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAZF

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if the media analysis companies find a bright box based sponsor logo has more cut through as it stands out more.

Might stand out more but the perception of that company through its presentation is important as well. WoW stuck out like dogs balls on the Broncos jersey whereas Jaycar was more subtle on the Bulldogs, which company appears more reputable?

Might stand out more but the perception of that company through its presentation is important as well. WoW stuck out like dogs balls on the Broncos jersey whereas Jaycar was more subtle on the Bulldogs, which company appears more reputable?

Well after the CEO of Jaycar's involvement of the Mad Monday thingy, I'd say that would be WoW Sight and Sound...

newman

First Grade
Companies pay big money to creative directors and agencies to come up with their corporate colour as there is a load of bullshit research done in colour memory and brand awareness. I.e, seeing the cadbury purple, makes you crave chocolate. As a result they then insist that theis colour appears on all marketed material. From stationary, to invoices, to advertisements....to jerseys.

I doubt many club CEO's would have the Kahunas to stand up to a major sponsor and say "you can only put your name on the front of our jersey, not your colour."

This would honestly be a sticking point.

GAZF

First Grade
Of course it depends on the individual sponsor but there is evidence enough that many sponsors are willing to compromise as they do in any major sport around the world.

In terms of major sponsors the following teams are well integrated:
Broncos, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Dragons, Eels, Knights, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Sharks, Tigers, Warriors. The Panthers, Raiders and Sea-Eagles aren't awful but could be improved and the Storm/Titans are woeful. By this metric I think you would agree that most sponsors are willing to compromise. The situation is slowly improving; much better integration than 5 years ago and I hope that trend continues.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They can still use the brand colours just don't put a big box around them and slap them on as if some kid in India has sat there with an iron sticking them on after the jersey's have been made!

BAD

broncos-jersey.jpg

rabbitohs-jersey.jpg

titans-jersey.jpg

GOOD
warriorsAway2012.jpg

5453531186_bfbfa6eb39.jpg

GAZF

First Grade
That Reds one is a good example of not just having to use white on colour, company styleguides also account for applications on non-white backgrounds.

mr wiggles

Juniors
Found a picture of what the Bulldogs 2012 premiers jersey would of looked like, on page 61 of Rugby League Week. Don't have the technology to post a pic up atm. Think i prefer the storm one, the dogs one is pretty plain.

hrundi99

First Grade
The media exposure generated by the Reds jersey would be diabolically low as Cash Converters doesn't stand out enough. The Cash blends with the red too much.

hrundi99

First Grade

Mate that's rubbish and it shows that while you're a good designer, you don't really understand the basics of branding and brand awareness.

GAZF

First Grade
The media exposure generated by the Reds jersey would be diabolically low as Cash Converters doesn't stand out enough. The Cash blends with the red too much.

Thats more the fault of a weak logo, had it been on a white square, the "cash" would blend in even more. Yellow in light weight is bad, on white its worse.

Mate that's rubbish and it shows that while you're a good designer, you don't really understand the basics of branding and brand awareness.

So huge multinational companies such as Emirates, AON and Samsung also must have no clue either because they present their logos with subtlety in sports. Poor branding shoved down your throat can turn the consumer away from a product just as much as it raises awareness. A sports team with a strong brand for a sponsor to align with long term is an underrated way of generating loyalty.

applesauce

Bench

If that is the case you do something like this:

735503-john-longmire.jpg

Same effect without overpowering a jersey with a cheap looking billboard square. Could probably reduce it a little more with the same effect.

GAZF

First Grade
Positioning isn't great but its small enough to look like a manufacturer logo. Glad AIG rebranded before getting on the jersey though. Would have looked terrible in a box.

EDIT: Just realised they still use the box, just not on the jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts