What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Isnt the whole point of being hipster, is trying to be alternative to the masses..

You dont see hipsters wearing Like a Miami Heat Dwayne Wade shirt way to common, but they will wear an old charlotte hornets retro one, as they dont exist anymore...

The best marketed hipster sports brand in australia, is probably Newtown Jets,,, main reason... they dont exist anymore...

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
The hipster thing may be true (i dont know, i dont live there), but hipsters and sports fans a not two mutually exclusive group.

Do you know what this is...?

english_i.jpg

Its an old Denver Nuggets singlet; but it is also possibly the most hipster thing anyone can where.

Its not that sport doesnt appeal to younger people, its just that many people in Rugby League (ex-players, older fans and the boy-club sections of the admin) cannot let go of the 80's-Bogan Era (rugby leagues last heyday).

Just look at the merchandise the NRL sells; its pretty exclusively playing jerseys. Its not that bad see players in them or to wear one of those to a game, but if i see someone wearing that on the street my first thought is "bogan".

If you want younger people to take up supporting these teams, you need to angle the marketing towards them (im not saying rebrand the NRL, i mean expand the merchandise selection and build on the history).

All they have to do is attach to a surf brand (more climate savvy for sydney and Brisbane than selling scarves and jumpers) or even start their own (call it "Beach Footy Gear" or some shit), design those hipster shirts and pants in club colours with team badges and sell this.

Not only would it make the clubs image look a bit fresher, it would be great advertising for the game (people wearing club colours in public makes supporting the team the normal thing).

But thats just my two cents. The alternative is going on with this "f*ck the Hipster, who needs 'em" and end up with no supporters with a birthday after 1980.
100% agreed, Manly's put out a few shirts in the past few years that fit that category but they're few and far between. The clubs need to work with decent designers and push for club wear that the hipster demographic will gravitate to.
The best marketed hipster sports brand in australia, is probably Newtown Jets,,, main reason... they dont exist anymore...
Agree with that, it's pretty easy to see hipsters wearing Jets gear in the area. It seems to have become a real mark of local pride.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Isnt the whole point of being hipster, is trying to be alternative to the masses..

You dont see hipsters wearing Like a Miami Heat Dwayne Wade shirt way to common, but they will wear an old charlotte hornets retro one, as they dont exist anymore...

I disagree.

From my experience, the idea behind "being hipster" is to be (for lack of a better term) "artsy".

All of these trends follow the same patter; they are rebelling against what was considered cool in the last generation (when i say generation, these age groups may only be 3 or 4 years apart). Hipster is pretty much about not taking stuff to seriously.

The style before this was Emo, Goth and Esh Kid areas; they were all about saying "look how deep i am. i can write depressing songs with deep metaphors and have hair over my face so i look mysteries".

Hipsters are basically people that grew up seeing this and said "youre all f*cing idiots. I can just roll out of bed and grab any mismatching clothes. I dont need to buy a $300 tshirt, the opshop has one for $4 that pretty good."

MY POINT..... is that the NRL doesnt cater to any of these markets in selling merchandise, whether its the current trend or a future one. Polyester jerseys with crazy designs and a sponsors box on the chest (because who doesnt want to be a f*cking walking billboard) look ridiculous anywhere except at a game.

This...

2222-gold-coast-titans-board-shorts-370.jpg

or this...

7359-manly-warringah-sea-eagles-1987-mens-heritage-design-hoodie-370.jpg

or the old cotton jerseys (with basic designs and no sponsor)...

10923-kangaroos-1908-replica-jersey-740.jpg

are all the kinds of things to try and sell.

You would be surprised how many young people have at least a passing interest in NRL, there is just nothing to wear to show support, so everyone assumes its something no one else is interested in.

The goal should be to make supporting a team the norm; it shouldnt be normal to ask "do you watch NRL", it should be normal to ask "which team do you support".

H.H

Juniors
I disagree.

From my experience, the idea behind "being hipster" is to be (for lack of a better term) "artsy".

All of these trends follow the same patter; they are rebelling against what was considered cool in the last generation (when i say generation, these age groups may only be 3 or 4 years apart). Hipster is pretty much about not taking stuff to seriously.

The style before this was Emo, Goth and Esh Kid areas; they were all about saying "look how deep i am. i can write depressing songs with deep metaphors and have hair over my face so i look mysteries".

Hipsters are basically people that grew up seeing this and said "youre all f*cing idiots. I can just roll out of bed and grab any mismatching clothes. I dont need to buy a $300 tshirt, the opshop has one for $4 that pretty good."

MY POINT..... is that the NRL doesnt cater to any of these markets in selling merchandise, whether its the current trend or a future one. Polyester jerseys with crazy designs and a sponsors box on the chest (because who doesnt want to be a f*cking walking billboard) look ridiculous anywhere except at a game.

This...

2222-gold-coast-titans-board-shorts-370.jpg

or this...

7359-manly-warringah-sea-eagles-1987-mens-heritage-design-hoodie-370.jpg

or the old cotton jerseys (with basic designs and no sponsor)...

10923-kangaroos-1908-replica-jersey-740.jpg

are all the kinds of things to try and sell.

You would be surprised how many young people have at least a passing interest in NRL, there is just nothing to wear to show support, so everyone assumes its something no one else is interested in.

The goal should be to make supporting a team the norm; it shouldnt be normal to ask "do you watch NRL", it should be normal to ask "which team do you support".

Still don't understand what a hipster is, but I do like those boardies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
100% agreed, Manly's put out a few shirts in the past few years that fit that category but they're few and far between. The clubs need to work with decent designers and push for club wear that the hipster demographic will gravitate to.

My last post on this, i swear...

Id like to see the ARLC create a centralised unit for this. They could join to an existing company or create their own brand altogether.

This would be great because the ARLC and all clubs combined would have more money to throw around than any individual team, meaning higher quality production.

Plus, the ARLC would have input into club designs, meaning crazy old farts (read: Phil Gould) will need to bounce ideas off professionals before they are released.

Just look at the merch Souths have put out since Russell Crow took over, best in the country.

AND then, within that unit, they could employ a logo/jersey designer (read: GAZF or similar) to design new jerseys and logos for clubs, from the NRL down to a a small country club.

Last edited:

no name

Coach

There are so many hipsters around these days that they are mainstream

For excuses, hipsters is one of the worst. Really hipsters is the reason membership isnt going up in spite of the fact there only a small % of them. Typical league excuses.

Flapper

First Grade
Those retro hoodies are f**king boss, I got a Balmain one.

Penrith are up to a frankly astounding (for them) 7386.

Lambretta

First Grade
A few years ago the Roosters tried selling a fashion line of t-shirts, hoodies etc made by a company called 10 Yard Line

They released training wear that was actually cool - they also featured heavily on our 1908 heritage and did worn down casual wear that people would actually want to wear

The only drawback I could see with the gear was that it was Roosters stuff and Eastern Suburbs types associate with Armani, Diesel, Ksubi, St Augustine & Morrissey not Rugby League.

I really wish they did this gear again because it was f**king great

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
A few years ago the Roosters tried selling a fashion line of t-shirts, hoodies etc made by a company called 10 Yard Line

They released training wear that was actually cool - they also featured heavily on our 1908 heritage and did worn down casual wear that people would actually want to wear

The only drawback I could see with the gear was that it was Roosters stuff and Eastern Suburbs types associate with Armani, Diesel, Ksubi, St Augustine & Morrissey not Rugby League.

I really wish they did this gear again because it was f**king great

That sounds interesting.

Any pictures???

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Im a bit tired of the jersey suppliers ISC / Canterbury / Blades / BLK trying to control the casual wear catergory as well

They are not casual clothes companies, they do not have the designers, supply chains etc to do it properly...

Just stick to on field apparel..

I like how all baseball teams in MLB license their logos to actual clothing companies,

http://redjacketclothing.com/collections/baseball

Its starting to happen here

http://www.quiksilver.com.au/mens/clothing/boardshorts/afl-nrl

but need more of it...

Latest posts