What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

Eddie Lab

Juniors
2/8 ?

or

8/2 ?

a big difference there :sarcasm:

I'll edit that. I meant 2/8

also not sure about healthy increase Raiderdave. 9 teams have updated in the past week. at the moment it's only looking like 10k tops. I hope the nines give all clubs a decent boost and the winner should get a massive boost particularly if the Tigers or Warriors win it.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I'll edit that. I meant 2/8

also not sure about healthy increase Raiderdave. 9 teams have updated in the past week. at the moment it's only looking like 10k tops. I hope the nines give all clubs a decent boost and the winner should get a massive boost particularly if the Tigers or Warriors win it.

I would bet most teams get a boost after this weekend with the trials starting and then continue the boost through the 9 nines.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Canberra are still struggling big time and gold coast fans seem to be as apathetic as ever if the membership sales are anything to go by.

BunniesMan

Immortal
current totals (numbers from 08/02/2013)

Broncos 17,922 (17,003)
Bulldogs 11,558 (11,498)
Cowboys 10,052 (9,012)
Dragons 14,195 (16,025)
Eels 12,567 (11,516)
Knights 13,626 (14,195)
Panthers 7,180 (3,609)
Rabbitohs 24,322 (20,454)
Raiders 4,541 (6,668)
Roosters 10,334 (7,689)
Sea Eagles 8,000 (6,031)
Sharks 5,016 (6,812)
Storm 10,340 (9,745)
Titans 5,366 (6,040)
Warriors 5,711 (7,113)
Wests Tigers 5,079 (7,628)

Total 165,809 (161,038)

The ones that are behind.

The Dragons I can understand, they overacheived with their member total last year and with another poor year of form it was always going to be tough to match it. The Raiders have had a terrible year of headlines. Same with the Sharks. Even though it's good for the longterm losing a massive drawcard in Benji was almost going to make it harder to bring people in the gates in the short term for the tigers.

The ones that are of more concern are the Knights, Warriors and Titans. These teams have exciting players, they're all a finals chance this year. Teams like that should be easily growing their membership.

Flapper

First Grade
Considering the Dragons are only 2000 behind where they were last year and they went on sale incredibly late they're not doing too bad. That's 14,195 memberships in just over 2 months.

pHyR3

Juniors
hopefully the tigers picks up this week after a great win against the panthers in the trial. if we can back it up in 9s then that should be another 1000-1500 memberships in the next 2 weeks. especially considering 5,000 rocked up to that trial in CAMDEN, and unless every member we have came to the game there were many there without memberships that will be considering it now.

i know trials are meaningless, but they help to generate a bit of interest and are a good sign, albeit small.

RWB

Bench
Bit strange the Knights aren't experiencing any growth after their run last year you'd think all their fans would be on a high after that, have prices gone up or something? Maybe all the bad press has taken a bit of gloss off the club.

azzah72

Bench
The ones that are behind.

The Dragons I can understand, they overacheived with their member total last year and with another poor year of form it was always going to be tough to match it. The Raiders have had a terrible year of headlines. Same with the Sharks. Even though it's good for the longterm losing a massive drawcard in Benji was almost going to make it harder to bring people in the gates in the short term for the tigers.

The ones that are of more concern are the Knights, Warriors and Titans. These teams have exciting players, they're all a finals chance this year. Teams like that should be easily growing their membership.

Sharks are at about 6500, I know this for fact but they haven't released it yet, they also haven't added all their short term stuff on the number releases. Just the 12 month memberships.

We'll be @ 10k by round 5

Frederick

Staff member
Bit strange the Knights aren't experiencing any growth after their run last year you'd think all their fans would be on a high after that, have prices gone up or something? Maybe all the bad press has taken a bit of gloss off the club.

Off season, plus relentless hate campaign by the local newspaper.

Plus, changing demographics in Newcastle. The city is being overrun by hipster douches who have no interest in sport.

mozza91

Coach

Plus, changing demographics in Newcastle. The city is being overrun by hipster douches who have no interest in sport.

Sad but true. There is so many artsy cocksnaps around here who believe sport is beneath them or worse yet exclusively support the Jets. You know the types that believe because they're doing some wanky uni degree that are morally superior to the rest of the general population.

I yearn for the days where those was so much pride and we had the most loyal supporters in the game. Sadly those days are gone. Not that we don't still have great supporters, there is just less of them now than 10 years ago.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The hipster thing may be true (i dont know, i dont live there), but hipsters and sports fans a not two mutually exclusive group.

Do you know what this is...?

english_i.jpg

Its an old Denver Nuggets singlet; but it is also possibly the most hipster thing anyone can where.

Its not that sport doesnt appeal to younger people, its just that many people in Rugby League (ex-players, older fans and the boy-club sections of the admin) cannot let go of the 80's-Bogan Era (rugby leagues last heyday).

Just look at the merchandise the NRL sells; its pretty exclusively playing jerseys. Its not that bad see players in them or to wear one of those to a game, but if i see someone wearing that on the street my first thought is "bogan".

If you want younger people to take up supporting these teams, you need to angle the marketing towards them (im not saying rebrand the NRL, i mean expand the merchandise selection and build on the history).

All they have to do is attach to a surf brand (more climate savvy for sydney and Brisbane than selling scarves and jumpers) or even start their own (call it "Beach Footy Gear" or some shit), design those hipster shirts and pants in club colours with team badges and sell this.

Not only would it make the clubs image look a bit fresher, it would be great advertising for the game (people wearing club colours in public makes supporting the team the normal thing).

But thats just my two cents. The alternative is going on with this "f*ck the Hipster, who needs 'em" and end up with no supporters with a birthday after 1980.

bottle

Coach
Can't BM just disappear again?
After the angst filled post I thought he was going into seclusion.
No f**king clue.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The hipster thing may be true (i dont know, i dont live there), but hipsters and sports fans a not two mutually exclusive group.

Do you know what this is...?

english_i.jpg

Its an old Denver Nuggets singlet; but it is also possibly the most hipster thing anyone can where.

Its not that sport doesnt appeal to younger people, its just that many people in Rugby League (ex-players, older fans and the boy-club sections of the admin) cannot let go of the 80's-Bogan Era (rugby leagues last heyday).

Just look at the merchandise the NRL sells; its pretty exclusively playing jerseys. Its not that bad see players in them or to wear one of those to a game, but if i see someone wearing that on the street my first thought is "bogan".

If you want younger people to take up supporting these teams, you need to angle the marketing towards them (im not saying rebrand the NRL, i mean expand the merchandise selection and build on the history).

All they have to do is attach to a surf brand (more climate savvy for sydney and Brisbane than selling scarves and jumpers) or even start their own (call it "Beach Footy Gear" or some shit), design those hipster shirts and pants in club colours with team badges and sell this.

Not only would it make the clubs image look a bit fresher, it would be great advertising for the game (people wearing club colours in public makes supporting the team the normal thing).

But thats just my two cents. The alternative is going on with this "f*ck the Hipster, who needs 'em" and end up with no supporters with a birthday after 1980.

Good post, but the absolute best part is the bolded passage.

Godz Illa

Coach
Rugby league is the most hipster sport on the planet. It's played in a stack of countries but is mainstream nowhere except PNG

Latest posts