What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Membership Discussion

JamesRustle

First Grade
There wasn't a massive jump

2009 13k
2010 15k
2011 20k (post premiership)

In 2010 only 3 clubs had > 10k members
Souths 18k, Saints 15k, Broncos 13k

In 2016
Souths 32k, Saints 17k, Broncos 34k

In that period, it reads 1 premiership, 1 premiership, 1 runner up (i.e. Similar success)

Look at the above stats and consider
Titans, Raiders, Eels, Tigers no finals since 2010, but still growing

Wow! Pretty ordinary. Thanks for the follow up info.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Hopefully the new owner (the WIN tv bloke) moves Doust along...

At this point, we should be getting 15k members from the Illawarra alone.

On the basis of a stingy 4 games a season i think not. If the dtagons want more illawarra members then respect the region by having more games there

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dragons should have the 5 big blockbusters in Sydney at sfs against Cronulla, Bulldogs, Souths, Wests and parra on a Satirday/Sunday afternoon. Other 7 down south.

Roosters should do same, with top 7 games at sfs and 5 in Gosford

I'd like to see Souths ditch the other on road games and bring 3 to Perth and build a true second city appeal.

Bulldogs same in Wellington with one being against warriors

Manly same in Christchurch or Dunedin

Melbourne two games in hobart

Eels continue good work in NT

Raiders or sharks to adopt adelaide with nrl's support

With no expansion the game needs a stronger plan for engaging cities with no hope of an NRL team in the foreseeable future. There should be a good 2-3000 potential members in each of those cities for clubs serious about a long term commitment to them. How many members do GWS have in Canberra?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wait, you want the top-drawing clubs to take *more* games away but the Eels get a free pass to take just one match to Darwin? :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wait, you want the top-drawing clubs to take *more* games away but the Eels get a free pass to take just one match to Darwin? :lol:

Maybe eels could take two games to Darwin and and their home game against Broncos to Brisbane given lack of games in that city.

Yes they are top drawing but they all have a number of games that are sub 14k crowds, those are the games to take elsewhere, the 20-30k plus games against other big Sydney clubs keep in sydney and build even bigger.

alien

Referee
I'd like to see Souths ditch the other on road games and bring 3 to Perth and build a true second city appeal.

We would lose money and support though. We would sell a lot of QLD memberships because of that home game in Cairns. We should move that home game which we play at the SFS/SCG to Adelaide. So we would have the 9 home games at ANZ Stadium, 1 home game in Perth, 1 home game in Cairns, and 1 home game in Adelaide.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
We would lose money and support though. We would sell a lot of QLD memberships because of that home game in Cairns. We should move that home game which we play at the SFS/SCG to Adelaide. So we would have the 9 home games at ANZ Stadium, 1 home game in Perth, 1 home game in Cairns, and 1 home game in Adelaide.

What about Campbelltown?

alien

Referee
What about Campbelltown?

well the rabbitohs have spoken to campbelltown council about playing trial games at campbelltown stadium, and the council (who own the stadium) said they're very welcome too play games there. it would be cool if they had the charity shield game at campbelltown 1 year and see how it goes. as you probably know, a lot of rabbitohs members live in the liverpool macarthur area, and i see quite a lot of st george illawarra supporters around the area too, so the attendance would probably be pretty good. rabbitohs players have gone to quite a few schools in the macarthur area too, so the club does seem to be interested in the area.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Maybe eels could take two games to Darwin and and their home game against Broncos to Brisbane given lack of games in that city.

Yes they are top drawing but they all have a number of games that are sub 14k crowds, those are the games to take elsewhere, the 20-30k plus games against other big Sydney clubs keep in sydney and build even bigger.

So basically devalue the ticketed membership further.

Already the Eels take 2 games to ANZ and 1 game to NT, start taking more away from Pirtek and watch that Membership number fall.

How many home games to the Doggies play every year, off the top of my head they play 14 games at ANZ compared to the Eels 10 at Pirtek.

There is your answer.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
So basically devalue the ticketed membership further.

Already the Eels take 2 games to ANZ and 1 game to NT, start taking more away from Pirtek and watch that Membership number fall.

How many home games to the Doggies play every year, off the top of my head they play 14 games at ANZ compared to the Eels 10 at Pirtek.

There is your answer.

Once Parra stadium is done you won't have to take any to ANZ, I don't mind PR's idea of taking games away, but in regards to ST George I agree the Illawarra needs to be more serviced but I would still have at least one or two Kogorah games

yobbo84

Coach
Every team should play 10 games at their nominated home ground, 1 in the country, and 1 in a development area (Perth, NZ, etc).

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
When moving games around you've just got to be careful. IMO it's fine for clubs based in the greater Sydney area but not for clubs that are the only team in their city/state/country.

Parra can take a game to Darwin and the Sydney fans won't really miss out on that game, they can still see Parra play all of their other home games aswell as the 'away' games around Sydney.

If Melbourne take a game away from Victoria then there is no replacement for that game for Melb fans.
Doesn't mean Melbourne can't play a game in Tassie, just means that it might be a Sharks home game in Hobart and Melb play as the away team.
ie:
Rabbitohs vs Broncos in Perth
Dogs vs Newcastle in Adelaide
Manly vs Warriors in Wellington
Parra vs Canberra in Darwin
Sharks vs Storm in Tas
Penrith vs NQ in Cairns
etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
re one game in a city, ok for promotion but does little to build that clubs appeal and membership base. Souths commit to three games a year in perth for three years and being a relative neutral I'm signing up for a membership. One game, along with Manly, St's, Roosters and anyone else that blows in and out is not convincing me to back that club.

re fans missing out, the whole point is Sydney clubs will play at least 14 games in Sydney even after taking three home ones on the road. The NRL should be working deals that allows you to get a full membership that includes all nine home games and the 5-7 Sydney away games. Now there is value for money and you'd get bigger crowds in Sydney and better atmospheres.

Latest posts