What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
Crowds mean nothing. TV is the money. ANZ pays clubs $200k no matter who turns up. Thurs night and Fri 6 pm wouldn't exist if the NRL cared about crowds.

If crowds are as pointless as we are led to believe then why are the stadiums charging us $50+ for a decent seat?

It's dangerous to assume TV money will support the NRL forever. A multi-billion $ comp relying on an external entity for its entire financial security is a disaster waiting to happen

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The ANZ paying clubs thing hasn't been true for at least 2 seasons

franklin2323

Immortal
If crowds are as pointless as we are led to believe then why are the stadiums charging us $50+ for a decent seat?

It's dangerous to assume TV money will support the NRL forever. A multi-billion $ comp relying on an external entity for its entire financial security is a disaster waiting to happen

The stadium need to get the $ back

How many clubs get their ideal timeslots? The games are put on when TV wants them not when the club and fans do. It is what it is really

Pommy

Coach

What sport competitions are self sufficient worldwide?

adamkungl

Immortal
Talking footy while at a kids party or sport is different then having time to go to it

Sydney isn't set up for quickly moving people around. If the game was at Campbelltown. How many that went wouldn't of? 18k is a good crowd

When they're in their 20s they can't be arsed.
In their 30s and 40s the kids take up their time.
And in their 50s it will be back to can't be arsed.

Can't be arsed because form/weather/transport/traffic/it's better on tv is still can't be arsed when it comes down to it.

adamkungl

Immortal
The stadium need to get the $ back

How many clubs get their ideal timeslots? The games are put on when TV wants them not when the club and fans do. It is what it is really

The dud timeslots are an overall issue but when you have 2 games on sunny afternoons with pretty disappointing crowds you can't blame timeslots.

What sport competitions are self sufficient worldwide?

None. But I'd say the balance is far too heavily skewed to TV in the NRL. It's a flimsy crutch.

T-Boon

Coach
Crowds mean nothing. TV is the money.

If this is true lets get a bunch of Sydney teams playing more home games in new cities like the Western Panthers in Perth which would be a great TV time slot and the Southern Sharks in Adelaide another great TV slot. Also get the Roosters into NZ.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If this is true lets get a bunch of Sydney teams playing more home games in new cities like the Western Panthers in Perth which would be a great TV time slot and the Southern Sharks in Adelaide another great TV slot. Also get the Roosters into NZ.
for the first time ever I think you may have something

If crowds & attending games aren't important , even to fans because its too hard
then what does it matter if teams are packed up & sent elsewhere , 4 teams is enough in Sydney based on at the ground support
& they'll still get to watch their team on TV, just like they do now

you can't say , they're my team & i'll choose to not support them if I want &
I want them to stay just on the off chance I might decide to get off my bum one day & attend a game

franklin2323

Immortal
for the first time ever I think you may have something

If crowds & attending games aren't important , even to fans because its too hard
then what does it matter if teams are packed up & sent elsewhere , 4 teams is enough in Sydney based on at the ground support
& they'll still get to watch their team on TV, just like they do now

you can't say , they're my team & i'll choose to not support them if I want &
I want them to stay just on the off chance I might decide to get off my bum one day & attend a game

Raiders have 19,319 members yet don't get that many to games... Why is that? it would be for the very same reasons Sydney Teams don't average their membership numbers

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do the gardening then get munted at the local pub

Sounds like a good day :)

We aren't miserable pricks like you. So we have friends and family that want to do stuff. Not everything revolves around footy

Not any of it for some it would seem.

Some of us even have to work on the weekends.

You'll be glad for Thursday night games then :)

I get it we all have lives, cant get to every game, cant be arsed to go to every game, whatever it is. Just dont blame a 45min drive as the reason you dont go. 45min-1hour travel isnt a great hardship to attend something you care about or enjoy. It does seem sydneys suburban ground mentality, not that too many people actually go to them as a rule, has made sydneysiders consider a 45min trip to a game some great hardship by the sounds of peoples excuses on here.

taipan

Referee
effort
look it up in the dictionary

no one said it has to happen every week
but once & a while , extract the finger & have a go

Transport infrastructure and Sydney's geography,no dictionary can help you there, just getting in a car or train might make the point sink in.
Canberra have such problems"
Even the Sydney Duck's fans won't travel to ANZ stadium,the SCG is close to their base.

You bag Sydney crowds fair enough,but take into account ,where and when the game are played ,and the traffic conditions in order to get there i n a city spread,much bigger than Melbourne.
The proof is ,a game on a Sat night, at Penrith ,giving people plenty of time, decent weather and a sell out.that says something.

Further proof will be once the Parra stadium is up and running.
Maybe instead of always trying to sink he boot in Sydney clubs, you have a look at your own, nearly 20,000 members(which is great),but just over half attending, and you live in a well laid out closely populated by comparison city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry the sharks are going well then.
8800 ish is 4% of the the shires population.

Yes they are with a shy under 6% of the population turning out this year, just a shame the game decided to use a valuable license spot on such a small population in a isolated geographical location. Lessons learnt hopefully.

Mister M

Juniors
Yes they are with a shy under 6% of the population turning out this year, just a shame the game decided to use a valuable license spot on such a small population in a isolated geographical location. Lessons learnt hopefully.

If the NRL has learnt there lesson from having a side in an 'isolated geographical location', it will never place a team in Perth. Perth is one of the most geographically isolated cities in the world.

horrie hastings

First Grade
You'll be glad for Thursday night games then :)

Yes even though I hate the time slot it means I can attend Thursday night games even the Thursdays I work.
Working on Sundays I finish at 3pm, where I work I can get an almost direct bus to the SFS and make it in time for the 4pm games but if the game was at ANZ or another suburban ground like Campbelltown, Brookvale , Penrith or Shark Park it would be impossible. Just lucky I work every second weekend so games don't often clash when i'm working on the Sunday.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Transport infrastructure and Sydney's geography,no dictionary can help you there, just getting in a car or train might make the point sink in.
Canberra have such problems"
Even the Sydney Duck's fans won't travel to ANZ stadium,the SCG is close to their base.

You bag Sydney crowds fair enough,but take into account ,where and when the game are played ,and the traffic conditions in order to get there i n a city spread,much bigger than Melbourne.
The proof is ,a game on a Sat night, at Penrith ,giving people plenty of time, decent weather and a sell out.that says something.

Further proof will be once the Parra stadium is up and running.
Maybe instead of always trying to sink he boot in Sydney clubs, you have a look at your own, nearly 20,000 members(which is great),but just over half attending, and you live in a well laid out closely populated by comparison city.

closely populated
LOL
Canberras most Nthn Suburb .. Moncrief & its most Sthn .. Gordon /Banks
are 45kms apart

now who knows nothing about anything