What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bollocks check the figures.The Sydney areas takes into account national parks .
You infrastructure per population on its area leaves Sydney for dead.

40 minutes from the farthest point wow.
It takes that time t and more to get for Heathcote Shire's edge to Shark Park More so at peak hour.Distance 17.5lkms.
There is no such thing as non peak in Sydney.Ask a taxi driver.
It takes at least 1 hour sometimes much more than that weekday pm,to get from Cronulla to Homebush 28.8kms.
It took me 40 minutes on peak hour to get from Dolls Po0int to Brighton le Sands.

I’m amused how some sydney people constantly go on about how sht their city is, then try and tell everyone else they live in a shtter city lol

I’d have thought a key requisite for comfortable living is actually being able to travel around the place easily?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it at all possible, and I know this is a stretch of a request, that we can cut the dick measuring contest and get back to talking about crowds?
FMD some of you lot need to get a life.

Tbf it wouldn’t be very active!

In summary: Crowds better than last year, not as big as we’d like, some crap, some middling, some great. End thread lol

taipan

Referee
I’m amused how some sydney people constantly go on about how sht their city is, then try and tell everyone else they live in a shtter city lol

I’d have thought a key requisite for comfortable living is actually being able to travel around the place easily?

I'm amused you're amused.As one from the west who puts sh*t on Sydney at times,the irony.

You can thank the dopey planners of the mid 1900s for Sydney's transport problems.No expressway from the Airport to Wollongong still as an example.

Whilst we have beaches ,harbours,national parks, and estuaries which I wouldn;t swap for any other mainland city, which are huge plusses, our infrastructure for roads and rail is antiquated.

taipan

Referee
Crowds have shown they will attend suburban grounds ,where they can actually get there and back in a reasonable time, by scheduling.
Not having Brisbane every Friday night is a plus also.Having Dragons and Souths less so have helped boost crowds, as has Penrith's rise.Warrior's early season form helped.
The sooner Friday 6pm is flicked ,the sooner Parramatta stadium is up and running, the better ops for even bigger crowds.
The disasters to date of Parra and Dogs has not helped.I know big supported teams have their ups and downs, but gee .
There ya go, crowd thread opinion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm amused you're amused.As one from the west who puts sh*t on Sydney at times,the irony.

You can thank the dopey planners of the mid 1900s for Sydney's transport problems.No expressway from the Airport to Wollongong still as an example.

Whilst we have beaches ,harbours,national parks, and estuaries which I wouldn;t swap for any other mainland city, which are huge plusses, our infrastructure for roads and rail is antiquated.

What? I like sydney. Heading there on Wednesday. Would t want to live there though, you can’t get around the place according to you. Getting to beaches, river, valley, the city and the sports venues is easy in Perth and houses don’t mean you have to live in a tiny box or a shtyy area if you’re a mere mortal earner. Each to their own.

I just wished nrl had been popular in Melbourne and afl in Sydney 100 years ago, the game would be much bigger now!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
We need to boot Thursday and fri 6pm before we see any dramatic change but that would require some very nifty tv negotiations or an acceptance of less funding.

Maybe if and when the nrl produce the product and sell it direct to the viewer it will happen as you will likely not care if there are two games on at the same time, you’ll be happy to pick the one of most interest to you.

Mister M

Juniors
I don't hate either just rationally pointing out the flaws ( which are numerous ) in both places : )
you tried to compare Perth to Cronulla buddy

I mean WTF ??
you clearly have NFI about anything

Maybe you need to read a bit closer at what I said-- I didn't compare Perth to Crounlla.

I compared Perth to a comment that PerthRed made about Cronulla being 'geographically isolated'. Cronulla and the Shire is part of a larger Sydney where 4-million people could realisitically attend games weekly if they were Cronulla fans (despite what people say about Sydney traffic).

I tried to demonstrate that Cronulla is a viable club because of it's location to a wider population.

That's not something that Perth would ever have-- it's known as a geographically isolated location with no other major cities within a 'reasonable' or affordable distance for fans to fly in/out to support their team as they travel. So the city is geographically isolated in that it doesn't have a wider base of fans to gain support from.

So you can fly from Perth anywhere in Australia including Sydney we have 2 AFL teams 1 soccer team Netball team the fly interstate all the time
I have driven Sydney/ Perth & back many times its a lot slower,I believe we have people playing in the QLD cup for various teams, we send kids teams to events in the East during the season we are trying to get it together which given the amount of ignorance sent in the direction by various commenters in here you wonder if its worth it
Maybe we should have taken up the ERL offer

How much is a flight from Perth to the locations of any of the NRL teams? Under $750?

Just because Perth is technologically advanced enough to have planes (as does the rest of the world) doesn't mean it's a good idea to base an NRL team there. Flights from Perth to the east cost is expensive
and cost prohibitive for travelling fans to follow their team away and relies completely on a market that doesn't have a developed NRL-base. Both the Western Reds and the Western Force have shown that the Perth population won't support a Rugby code with fans at a higher rate than even the lowest Sydney side.

Why spend all the additional money to fly players to Perth every week and to relocate a bunch of players out there for no additional fans at games than the current average?

carcharias

Immortal
What? I like sydney. Heading there on Wednesday. Would t want to live there though, you can’t get around the place according to you. Getting to beaches, river, valley, the city and the sports venues is easy in Perth and houses don’t mean you have to live in a tiny box or a shtyy area if you’re a mere mortal earner. Each to their own.

I just wished nrl had been popular in Melbourne and afl in Sydney 100 years ago, the game would be much bigger now!

As popular as AFL?

Did we win the World Cup?

Suitman

Post Whore
Both the Western Reds and the Western Force have shown that the Perth population won't support a Rugby code with fans at a higher rate than even the lowest Sydney side.

No, they have shown that fans struggle to support a team that in less than successful. No different to any other NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, they have shown that fans struggle to support a team that in less than successful. No different to any other NRL team.

Western force are currently playing friendlies to crowds of 17k Plenty of nrl teams who wish they had as many turning up. Reds were never the worse supported club in the three years they existed, 39k to a DH a few weeks ago, yep. No fanbase here what so ever lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe you need to read a bit closer at what I said-- I didn't compare Perth to Crounlla.

I compared Perth to a comment that PerthRed made about Cronulla being 'geographically isolated'. Cronulla and the Shire is part of a larger Sydney where 4-million people could realisitically attend games weekly if they were Cronulla fans (despite what people say about Sydney traffic).

I tried to demonstrate that Cronulla is a viable club because of it's location to a wider population.

That's not something that Perth would ever have-- it's known as a geographically isolated location with no other major cities within a 'reasonable' or affordable distance for fans to fly in/out to support their team as they travel. So the city is geographically isolated in that it doesn't have a wider base of fans to gain support from.

How much is a flight from Perth to the locations of any of the NRL teams? Under $750?

Just because Perth is technologically advanced enough to have planes (as does the rest of the world) doesn't mean it's a good idea to base an NRL team there. Flights from Perth to the east cost is expensive
and cost prohibitive for travelling fans to follow their team away and relies completely on a market that doesn't have a developed NRL-base. Both the Western Reds and the Western Force have shown that the Perth population won't support a Rugby code with fans at a higher rate than even the lowest Sydney side.

Why spend all the additional money to fly players to Perth every week and to relocate a bunch of players out there for no additional fans at games than the current average?

So your criteria for nrl clubs is the fans must be reasonably able to travel to watch their teams play at other teams grounds. How weird! Especially when fans in the same city rarely travel to away games in their own city because the roads are busy lol

Mister M

Juniors
So your criteria for nrl clubs is the fans must be reasonably able to travel to watch their teams play at other teams grounds. How weird! Especially when fans in the same city rarely travel to away games in their own city because the roads are busy lol

It's not just fans though-- it's also clubs.

Explain to me the benefit the NRL would have in sending a team to Perth when it comes the away team 3-4x the amount it costs them to travel their same players/coaches/trainers etc. Is having a team in Perth going to be that much better for crowd averages and TV viewership dollars to overcome this additional costs for clubs compared to keeping a smaller team in Sydney?

Suitman

Post Whore
Western force are currently playing friendlies to crowds of 17k Plenty of nrl teams who wish they had as many turning up. Reds were never the worse supported club in the three years they existed, 39k to a DH a few weeks ago, yep. No fanbase here what so ever lol.

You might be a bit lost, but I am NOT one of the people that is anti what you post. In fact, I think most of what you post makes sense. I don't get the hate towards you, and the stupid "Well, Perth doesn't have a team" posts are just f**king childish. People need to grow up.
What I am completely over however, is the shit fight between small men who argue semantics.
This thread is about crowds. Well supposedly, anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not just fans though-- it's also clubs.

Explain to me the benefit the NRL would have in sending a team to Perth when it comes the away team 3-4x the amount it costs them to travel their same players/coaches/trainers etc. Is having a team in Perth going to be that much better for crowd averages and TV viewership dollars to overcome this additional costs for clubs compared to keeping a smaller team in Sydney?

I guess it would be or they won’t do it lol.
Your talking about an extra cost of around $600k a year to fly teams to Perth over say NQ, the bigger question is can a ninth game generate more than the $30mill a year it will cost to bring in two new teams,

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Why?

By any reasonable measurement we're probably one of the teams doing better in the comp, I can't be bothered doing the math but apart from Townsville and probably Newcastle we're one of the better draws per capita of our population.
If we're doing bad then Melbourne and Brisbane are doing really bad, and the Sydney clubs whom for most of their games actually have two teams from their direct target market playing in their games are doing absolutely shit house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any teams crowds (honestly I think it's a totally over rated metric these days), or really even defending the Raiders crowds, cause depending on what you are comparing them against they probably are pretty bad, my point is the methodology that is being used to judge a 'good crowd' from a 'bad crowd' in this case is flawed and doesn't give an accurate measurement of the crowds success compared to the pressures of the market it is being measured in.

I'm not even knocking you for using a flawed methodology, everybody (especially in the media) does it in this case, so it's just a common practice that has been copied by the majority, and I don't think that it's a malicious attempt to belittle or exaggerate one clubs success from anothers (though I can't say the same about the people in the media...) but it is a stupid way of measuring a 'good' crowd from a 'bad' crowd or whether a club's crowds are up to scratch or not.

Raiderdave

First Grade

its hilarious isn't it
pedigree hypocrites ....

Raiderdave

First Grade
Why?

By any reasonable measurement we're probably one of the teams doing better in the comp, I can't be bothered doing the math but apart from Townsville and probably Newcastle we're one of the better draws per capita of our population.
If we're doing bad then Melbourne and Brisbane are doing really bad, and the Sydney clubs whom for most of their games actually have two teams from their direct target market playing in their games are doing absolutely shit house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any teams crowds (honestly I think it's a totally over rated metric these days), or really even defending the Raiders crowds, cause depending on what you are comparing them against they probably are pretty bad, my point is the methodology that is being used to judge a 'good crowd' from a 'bad crowd' in this case is flawed and doesn't give an accurate measurement of the crowds success compared to the pressures of the market it is being measured in.

I'm not even knocking you for using a flawed methodology, everybody (especially in the media) does it in this case, so it's just a common practice that has been copied by the majority, and I don't think that it's a malicious attempt to belittle or exaggerate one clubs success from anothers (though I can't say the same about the people in the media...) but it is a stupid way of measuring a 'good' crowd from a 'bad' crowd or whether a club's crowds are up to scratch or not.

every Sydney club when playing another Sydney club has the benefit of the away side supporters padding their crowds , despite the moaning myrtles in here stating they have to cross burning rivers , swim crocodile invested waters & slay fire breathing dragons just to get to work let alone go to a football game , they are considerably closer to each other then any one team town is to any opponent , so they have a distinct advantage if we are going to go off just raw numbers.

carcharias

Immortal

Well
We are not going to live in Perth
They don’t have a footy team to support.

Latest posts