What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Which, IMO, is the reason it should have been bulldozed to the ground and rebuilt. Either have a stadium people want to go to, or no stadium at all
And I think that once people realized that it was going to be reconfigured they've decided to stay away until it's done.

johnny plath

Juniors
I fully agree. They have to go all out. Souths v Roosters has gone close to 60k before at ANZ, admittedly with the minor premiership on the line, but 40k is achievable. Hopefully Inglis is back and they ramp up the Latrell v Inglis angle.
I know that the NRL can't just wring their hands and take no responsibility, but how do the clubs escape any critisism when it comes to promoting their own home games. Surely the clubs are responsible for this, don't they get all the financial windfall that comes out of home game takings. How bout clubs get off their arses and promote the comps oldest rivalry in another top 4 clash a month out from the finals. I think its been done to death on here that the excuses for non attendance are not insurmountable, its time for the clubs to step up and call on this so called tribalism that is spruked as a reason that nothing should change in the future.

dogz08

First Grade
If Sydney didn't get the Olympics

I reckon we would have 6 wss around Sydney by now
Apparently South's for that game spent $150,000 + on marketing and promotion cold called 5000 nom attending members, coaxing them into going

I remember richo was interviewed about it

He blew up that nrl didn't give them a cent to help and he would never do it again
U serious
Can @NRL have a marketing crack this week..

Need 40k to next Friday night

what's your thoughts on the knights crowd? or is that too positive for you?

TheFrog

Coach
Relax, I don't consider the Sharks a Sydney team. In my opinion they are an Adelaide team.
Not enough expats in Adelaide to support an NRL team. There weren't 20 years ago and there still aren't.

Because the other grounds are a joke.
The only thing wrong with Penrith, Cronulla, Leichhardt, Campbelltown, Kogarah and Wollongong is they only hold 20,000.

Last edited:
This whole thread is a joke.

It’s easier to watch on Foxtel. Simple.

Want crowds back then remove live coverage. Remove live coverage and you remove billion $ deals and therefore players leave and what do you have.

This whole dick measuring contest on crowds is redundant as mostly the crowd numbers are not a result of disinterest but rather it’s easier and more convenient to watch from home in most cases. Especially with scheduling on thu and fri nights.

Flame away but it’s the truth.

hutch

First Grade
I'm surprised more hasn't been made about the Broncs v Dogs only drawing 6434 and then the Rabbits v Storm only drawing 15,132.

To think I've been trolling union fans about their trash dying sport and they still managed 9673 fans at Leichhardt for a Wallabies internal trial match.

I'm not saying cut the competition to 12 teams like Joey Johns suggested but tough decisions need to be made around merging or relocating teams. I'm sure the NRL will just accept 6434 crowd and carry on pretending like they run a professional organisation.

Nice work to the Knights fans showing up to a game between 2 sides not in the top 8.

The hill at Leichhardt was empty last night, did they really claim 9k?

Canard

Immortal

Want crowds back then remove live coverage. Remove live coverage and you remove billion $ deals and therefore players leave and what do you have.

This whole dick measuring contest on crowds is redundant as mostly the crowd numbers are not a result of disinterest but rather it’s easier and more convenient to watch from home in most cases. Especially with scheduling on thu and fri nights.

353 posts since Jun 12th. f**k me mate, get a life bro.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I know that the NRL can't just wring their hands and take no responsibility, but how do the clubs escape any critisism when it comes to promoting their own home games. Surely the clubs are responsible for this, don't they get all the financial windfall that comes out of home game takings. How bout clubs get off their arses and promote the comps oldest rivalry in another top 4 clash a month out from the finals. I think its been done to death on here that the excuses for non attendance are not insurmountable, its time for the clubs to step up and call on this so called tribalism that is spruked as a reason that nothing should change in the future.

Clubs are too well propped up by the NRL now. Basically have very little financial incentive to promote their games

thorson1987

Coach

This.

Raiderdave

First Grade

a typical Sydney attitude , afterall , live coverage hasn't affected attendances anywhere else as much or in some cases .. at all

time to do something about Sydney
end of

big hit!

Bench
I fully agree. They have to go all out. Souths v Roosters has gone close to 60k before at ANZ, admittedly with the minor premiership on the line, but 40k is achievable. Hopefully Inglis is back and they ramp up the Latrell v Inglis angle.

i'm assuming you're talking about a try tally because Latrell & GI will not come near each other all game.

they're both left centres.

big hit!

Bench

the NRL sold its arse too soon. the only way it can increase its billion $$$ broadcast value is:
- with more games -> done; they're playing four more weeks of football than the traditional 22 rounds
- expansion -> room to move in brisbane & perth but still appears a few years off
- more prime time matches -> we're already on thursday nights. probably return to sunday & monday nights to bump up rights value, and more games in poor attendance time slots.

problem with the NRL more than every other sport is that they plowed down the TV $ route so fast without protecting crowd numbers. the EPL only started scheduling regular friday night matches last season. 5 matches every week are still at 3pm on a saturday. the NFL have only just removed same market blackouts for non-sold out matches. even the AFL have protected their crowd numbers by slowly exploring new timeslots.

the horse has bolted in the NRL. a 5k crowd among tens of thousands of empty blue seats on a thursday night in the highest rugby league competition in the world is accepted and tolerated.

rugby league clubs has always relied on inorganic means to fund its operations. clubs, pokies, and now TV money.

Latest posts