What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Billythekid

First Grade
It’s a bloody 80k stadium though.

When 14 k show up it is embarrassing.
It looks woeful
Last night looked average at best... only because the stadium is way way way too big for club footy.

In the SFS 26k would’ve looked pretty good.

That is my point
Not where the f**k you reckon people live.

You all want huge crowds.
Nothing about a game in ANZ will excite anyone to get off their arse to go.

So if Sydney FC and wanderers are playing off for 1st place a few weeks before the finals at ANZ what crowd would you expect?

If the swans were in 1st playing Collingwood in 3rd at ANZ what crowd would you expect?

Shit I'm pretty sure even if the Waratahs were running 1st vs the Brumbies or Brisbane in 3rd leading into the finals they would beat that.

26K for that game was woeful and whilst ANZ is a shit stadium pretending it's literally the entire problem is total BS and is the sort of head in the same thinking that makes discussion about crowds impossible.

Pommy

Coach
It’s a bloody 80k stadium though.

When 14 k show up it is embarrassing.
It looks woeful
Last night looked average at best... only because the stadium is way way way too big for club footy.

In the SFS 26k would’ve looked pretty good.

That is my point
Not where the f**k you reckon people live.

You all want huge crowds.
Nothing about a game in ANZ will excite anyone to get off their arse to go.

No you made a dumb as f**k first post and have been waffling on about all kinds since.

Would’ve looked a lot better at SFS
Good crowd .

Got me stuffed why they played it at ANZ
2 teams from either side of the SFS

Let’s move it to Homebush.
The mind boggles.

carcharias

Immortal
So if Sydney FC and wanderers are playing off for 1st place a few weeks before the finals at ANZ what crowd would you expect?

If the swans were in 1st playing Collingwood in 3rd at ANZ what crowd would you expect?

Shit I'm pretty sure even if the Waratahs were running 1st vs the Brumbies or Brisbane in 3rd leading into the finals they would beat that.

26K for that game was woeful and whilst ANZ is a shit stadium pretending it's literally the entire problem is total BS and is the sort of head in the same thinking that makes discussion about crowds impossible.

Ok
What’s the plan to put 80k people in ANZ stadium every week?

Pommy

Coach
Yeah well that looks bad.
I should’ve been a little more articulate.

I was Talking in general.

The last few years Souths have played one home game a year at SFS.
The attendances we’re garbage and that game is now played at Gosford.
I remember a Thursday night (either 2015 or 2016) against the broncos where we got about 8000 and it then took me about 2 hours to get back to Liverpool.
I wouldn’t be against a move to SFS but the transport links need to be fixed first in reality. You can talk about historical geography but that isn’t going to improve attendances in 2018.
After games there’s often direct trains to central at Olympic Park and they’re nowhere near as utilised as the trains to lidcome are.

carcharias

Immortal
The last few years Souths have played one home game a year at SFS.
The attendances we’re garbage and that game is now played at Gosford.
I remember a Thursday night (either 2015 or 2016) against the broncos where we got about 8000 and it then took me about 2 hours to get back to Liverpool.
I wouldn’t be against a move to SFS but the transport links need to be fixed first in reality. You can talk about historical geography but that isn’t going to improve attendances in 2018.
After games there’s often direct trains to central at Olympic Park and they’re nowhere near as utilised as the trains to lidcome are.

My dogs fan mate says the exact same thing about ANZ
3 trains to get home to Sutherland.
f**k that.

Pommy

Coach
My dogs fan mate says the exact same thing about ANZ
3 trains to get home to Sutherland.
f**k that.

ANZ isn’t much better than SFS but you don’t have to line up to get a bus to then get a train.
I think it took me 50 mins to get from ANZ to home last night, it was 3 trains as well.
Public transport is a real issue in Sydney, the roads aren’t much better either.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Ok
What’s the plan to put 80k people in ANZ stadium every week?

The point is that just blaming all our crowd problems on ANZ is a joke. It's not like Sydney crowds outside of ANZ have been massively impressive this year despite Sydney dominating the top 8.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The point is that just blaming all our crowd problems on ANZ is a joke. It's not like Sydney crowds outside of ANZ have been massively impressive this year despite Sydney dominating the top 8.

You can say that, but you can't deny that ANZ is consistently a particularly horrible look for the NRL, especially if they're going to insist on so many games being played there.

Billythekid

First Grade
You can say that, but you can't deny that ANZ is consistently a particularly horrible look for the NRL, especially if they're going to insist on so many games being played there.

ANZ is a shithole and the the fact that it isn't being replaced entirely in the next few years is a terrible set back for the NRL and Sydney. There is no question that it's not a great venue and that crowds tend to look bad there.

That doesn't mean you can ignore all the other shit crowds in Sydney and blame everything on ANZ.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
ANZ is a shithole and the the fact that it isn't being replaced entirely in the next few years is a terrible set back for the NRL and Sydney. There is no question that it's not a great venue and that crowds tend to look bad there.

That doesn't mean you can ignore all the other shit crowds in Sydney and blame everything on ANZ.

I'm not really allowed to have an opinion on the Sydney crowds as a whole. I'm just labelled as a biased QLDer who supports the team flying solo in a city of over a million people. Nevermind the fact that 2018 has been an altogether shithouse year for the Broncos and still they comfortably command the highest crowd average.

carcharias

Immortal

Ok last time...I’m not blaming the crowd on ANZ
I’m just saying the stadium too big for club footy.
It looks shit on TV
It looks shit at the ground
It is shit
It does not encourage anyone to go there.

Do you understand what I’ve have just written?

Teddyboy

First Grade
Just what I heard.
They will play there and maybe central coast.

Where else do you think will play while the SFS gets rebuilt?
Apparently ANZ pays squillions for teams to play there
Why?
That is a mystery.
Maybe they have a money tree.
Roosters should just stay on the Central Coast and maybe Souths play at Concord or even upgrade Redfern.
Fans say that Sydney has too many teams but you got to many white elephant stadiums not using the potential in which they were build.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Roosters should just stay on the Central Coast and maybe Souths play at Concord or even upgrade Redfern.
Fans say that Sydney has too many teams but you got to many white elephant stadiums not using the potential in which they were build.
Redfern and Concorde are cow paddocks you drunken fool

SFS makes more sense than Homebush to me.
I grew up in an era where teams played out of areas they were named after.

I suspect we were of the of the same generation.

It is near incomprehensible to me that while criticising centralisation, a fan of a Super League club would conveniently declare their allegiance to traditionalism.

carcharias

Immortal
I suspect we were of the of the same generation.

It is near incomprehensible to me that while criticising centralisation, a fan of a Super League club would conveniently declare their allegiance to traditionalism.

Haha
You do realise that us fans didn’t have a say in super league
Not really sure what your point is with that.
It has zero to do with any of this.
Fans of super league teams still followed their team and the NRL comp.

Valheru

Coach
Can you say for sure they will not play any home games from ANZ?
I reckon they will
I reckon I’ll be right.

The roosters wont be playing any home games at ANZ. It will be SCG, CC and adelaide.

2018 members are already being asked to choose their SCG seats for next year and ANZ just won't be happening so your source is completely wrong.