What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Membership

Angry_eel

First Grade
The thing about those 'bullshit packages' and reduced access or non-ticketed memberships is that it gets people in the database. The goal would be to convert those members to higher membership categories the following year.

Yea but you're assuming that NRL clubs are as smart as NFL clubs.

If I didn't take the initiative and sign up to Parra membership, I'm not going to have Junior Paulo calling me up to ask If I wanted to get a membership.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sell 1k or 100k of them & it's a plus for the club. They still aren't like for like with a ticketed member though. For someone who bangs on incessantly about crowd numbers I figured you would be one who could tell the difference. It's equivalent to a game being shown on the display TV's at Harvey Norman & then counting everyone who walks in the joint in the TV ratings.

As for pokies revenue is revenue. As long as they remain legal it's a viable source of income. I hate the things personally, I've been affected by the damage a compulsive gambler can cause & in both cases the addicts poison was pokies, but it's still legal. If the clubs take the moral high ground then the publicans will pick up the slack. They aren't disappearing from the community so I would rather an organisation like a leagues club or RSL makes the money & uses it to benefit sporting clubs & the general community than buying a publican another lambo.

anyone who pays something and makes the effort to become a member is of great value to a club. You’ll always get a split between full, part and non ticketed memberships for a variety of reasons. The smart clubs like Souths, eels and Storm are building memberships as genuine alternative main revenue source and know the more you get the more you can convert up and
Sell other stuff to. As any business will tell you it’s much easier to sell up than find new customers.
As for pokies, for me the ends don’t justify the means and using straw man arguments like someone else will do it isn’t justification for causing social misery to your local community and then justifying it by putting less than 2% back into that community.

soc123_au

Staff member
anyone who pays something and makes the effort to become a member is of great value to a club. You’ll always get a split between full, part and non ticketed memberships for a variety of reasons. The smart clubs like Souths, eels and Storm are building memberships as genuine alternative main revenue source and know the more you get the more you can convert up and
Sell other stuff to. As any business will tell you it’s much easier to sell up than find new customers.
As for pokies, for me the ends don’t justify the means and using straw man arguments like someone else will do it isn’t justification for causing social misery to your local community and then justifying it by putting less than 2% back into that community.

I never said there was no value to the minor packages. It's a good thing to bring in whatever revenue & engage as many people as possible. My issue is counting them as members is an exercise in dick measuring.

Do you even know what a straw man argument is? What do you think would happen to the pokie licences held by Panthers or Parra Leagues if they turfed all the machines?

Valheru

Coach
Yea but you're assuming that NRL clubs are as smart as NFL clubs.

If I didn't take the initiative and sign up to Parra membership, I'm not going to have Junior Paulo calling me up to ask If I wanted to get a membership.

Why not?

The roosters did exactly that a few years back.

franklin2323

Immortal
I never said there was no value to the minor packages. It's a good thing to bring in whatever revenue & engage as many people as possible. My issue is counting them as members is an exercise in dick measuring.

Do you even know what a straw man argument is? What do you think would happen to the pokie licences held by Panthers or Parra Leagues if they turfed all the machines?

The Bulldogs new major sponsor gets even richer

Perth Red

Post Whore

It’s not dick measuring, it’s a genuine measurement of interest in a club by fans willing to commit money to the club. It’s also a key strategic goal for future sustainability. 15,000 non Ticketed members are worth a much as 5000 full ticketed in the long run if you can up sell to them.

yes I know what one is and you gave a good example, ie we should do it because if we didn’t something worse would happen. LC could ditch the pokies and govt could Up the tax in that case and let them put the extra taxation into community benefit, we might see more than the current LC 1-2% flowing back then?

soc123_au

Staff member
yes I know what one is and you gave a good example, ie we should do it because if we didn’t something worse would happen. LC could ditch the pokies and govt could Up the tax in that case and let them put the extra taxation into community benefit, we might see more than the current LC 1-2% flowing back then?

About as much chance as the government raising a tax & then passing it on to benefit the community. I'd also be interested to hear what arse you pulled the 1-2% from. Panthers would spend more than that on projects outside the leagues club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your aunt could also grow a dick & become your uncle. About as much chance as the government raising a tax & then passing it on to benefit the community. I'd also be interested to hear what arse you pulled the 1-2% from. Panthers would spend more than that on projects outside the leagues club.

nope, 2018 they had $139 mill revenue and gave $1.8millin donations and $200k to jnr rugby league (1.4%)
https://issuu.com/pantherspenrith8/docs/final_prlc

Its Vlandys way, bury the data so he can’t be measured against it. This years annual report is one of the least quantitive since we started getting decent ones in 2012. No registration. Numbers, , no tv revenue identified, other account line items buried. And so it goes on,

yep

i am led to believe the sharkies is around about 11k total.

its a good source but not official obviously
and not a suprise given the general consensus is that kogarah sucks and alot of season tickets didnt get renewed .

parrawentyfan

Juniors
What’s going on with cowboys? Thought the new stadium would have given them a decent boost?

Its interesting isn't it. A new stadium closer to town but not having much effect.

I wonder if its a combination of:
- pricing. QLD are notorious for high ticket prices impacting on the Titans, wonder if this flowed through to Cowboys.
- form. New stadium just happened to coincide with Cowboys being in poor form.
- economic climate. How hard has Townsville and North Queensland more generally been impacted by job losses caused by COVID, trade tensions etc.
- unpredictability with the pandemic. Due to the travel required up there I wonder if people haven't forked out for a membership for fear of being impacted by lockdowns or matches being shifted or cancelled.

What’s going on with cowboys? Thought the new stadium would have given them a decent boost?
Yeah, I was wondering the same. I'd imagine COVID-19 has placed a huge hurdle on some of their fans. I don't know what the economics are like up there, but those who work in tourism would be buggered. The travel restrictions placed on them last year would make fans based outside of Townsville think twice about becoming ticketed members.

I'm still a non-ticketed member living in Logan and have been since 2011. I hope the numbers pick up as the season progresses.

Suitman

Post Whore
Its interesting isn't it. A new stadium closer to town but not having much effect.

I wonder if its a combination of:
- pricing. QLD are notorious for high ticket prices impacting on the Titans, wonder if this flowed through to Cowboys.
- form. New stadium just happened to coincide with Cowboys being in poor form.
- economic climate. How hard has Townsville and North Queensland more generally been impacted by job losses caused by COVID, trade tensions etc.
- unpredictability with the pandemic. Due to the travel required up there I wonder if people haven't forked out for a membership for fear of being impacted by lockdowns or matches being shifted or cancelled.

Covid. That has had the biggest effect.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Yeah neither do I. They're embarrassing. Why on earth would any of them bar Parra and Souths want them to be publically known.
I know parramatta had a pretty healthy profit last year which is good considering all the covid issues.
they have increased their membership prices for 2021 and have still increased their membership numbers.
if only they could win a premiership