What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure if you`re referring to League nines or fumbleball nines which I had never heard of until recently and was assured by a fumbleballhead that it is very popular. Sorry to say but I assume with your rose-tinted glasses for everything fumbleball you are referring to the latter. In that case nine fumbleball players on a cricket-size field would be laughable. lol.
If by chance you are referring to League nines I think you`ve missed my point. The great attraction of Touch and Tag League is that it doesn`t involve the tackle, the one thing that would put most people off League. In fact League Tag with its` 13 per side, full size field and all the same rules as 13-a-side Tackle ( except of course no tackle ) is a great substitute for those who want the League catching, passing, evasive running experience without being hammered.
I`d love to see it as a permanent part of our World Cup with teams coming from all over the world.
My respinse was in regards to the comment on reduced playing numbers, RL Nines gives a tackle version of the game that is less physical and requires clubs to have less registered players. Kind of sits between touch and full 13 a side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Holy f**k! No one saw that coming. If true it is a staggering amount that will catapult them even further ahead.
Looks like it’s a full omelette on the face for some on here!

ok time for some serious questions to be asked of Vlandys and
Abdo. How the f**k have they signed a deal worth so little compared to this? I’m sure the v,Andy’s loving media mates will bury this as well but co e on even baseline and the other most ardent Vlandys devotees can’t defend him on this!

Coastbloke

Bench
Apparently the ‘home of rugby league’ made a last ditch $500 Million a year offer. Thanks Nein. Real loyal..

SEE, if the ARLC took International matches seriously that would be another selling point of top of Origin…

The_Wookie

Bench
Holy f**k! No one saw that coming. If true it is a staggering amount that will catapult them even further ahead.
Looks like it’s a full omelette on the face for some on here!

ok time for some serious questions to be asked of Vlandys and
Abdo. How the f**k have they signed a deal worth so little compared to this? I’m sure the v,Andy’s loving media mates will bury this as well but co e on even baseline and the other most ardent Vlandys devotees can’t defend him on this!

No they just wont believe it. Just like everything else.

colly

Juniors
So it's $4.5 billion over Nine years to give you $500m per year. Take out the Teltsra giveway and it's $450 a year, what about padding see Bed's R Us , who knows... maybe it's $50m so that's only $400 million a year from broadcasters which is only the true yardstick, of course Wookie will chime in and say 'media' and Perth Red will talk it up. The above seems certainly true against the $640m pa yearly fantasy amount. So it's entirely not sure the AFL have won.

The_Wookie

Bench
So it's $4.5 billion over Nine years to give you $500m per year. Take out the Teltsra giveway and it's $450 a year, what about padding see Bed's R Us , who knows... maybe it's $50m so that's only $400 million a year from broadcasters which is only the true yardstick, of course Wookie will chime in and say 'media' and Perth Red will talk it up. The above seems certainly true against the $640m pa yearly fantasy amount. So it's entirely not sure the AFL have won.

Its not 4.5billion over 9 years. Its 4.5 billion over 7. With maths like yours its no wonder theres a struggle to accept realities on this board.

It is a seven-year partnership from 2025 to the end of the 2031 season. 

The AFL continues to have full control of the production of the fixture, including the scheduling time of the AFL Grand Final. This is important to continue to provide fans certainty and ensuring the right mix of match ups and timeslots.

Broadcast live and free nationally on the Seven Network and 7+ digital will be AFL on Thursday nights, Friday nights, selected Saturday nights, Sunday afternoons, Marquee matches, the Brownlow Medal, all AFL Finals and the AFL Grand Final.

• The first 15 rounds of the AFL Premiership Season to feature Thursday night matches on the Seven Network and 7+ digital
  • Saturday night matches in the last eight rounds
  • All marquee matches will be live and free (Dreamtime, Anzac Eve, Anzac Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday and Queen’s Birthday) plus at least three additional marquee matches - such as the season opener and Queen’s Birthday Eve.
  • Broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo will be every single AFL / AFLW home and away match, every AFL / AFLW final (excluding the AFL Grand Final), all pre-season matches – and all with their own Fox Footy commentary teams. Foxtel / Kayo will also broadcast all AFL events including the AFL draft and Awards nights (excluding the Brownlow).
  • Foxtel / Kayo will own Saturday in the first eight rounds of each AFL season, broadcasting exclusively live all games in all timeslots, which the exception of Anzac Eve, Anzac Day and Dreamtime if they were to fall on a Saturday.
  • We acknowledge Foxtel’s investment in Kayo to bring the leading sports streaming product to all Australians – and we are witnessing the growth every week.
  • Outside Victoria, the match involving the local team will be broadcast live into the local market on the Seven Network and 7+ digital except for selected matches on holdbacks.
  • At least 30 NAB AFLW home and away games, AFLW finals and the AFLW grand final will be live and free on the Seven Network and 7+ digital with local market substitution rules. ALL NAB AFLW matches and events will also be broadcast on Foxtel and Kayo.
  • All Free to Air games mirrored and available on 7+ digital in all local markets.
  • In addition, our partnership with Telstra is extending and by the end of this agreement we will have celebrated 30 years with Telstra as our digital and technology partner, connecting fans to the game they love anywhere, anytime on any platform.
  • Through this new deal Telstra will be building on their investment into Marvel Stadium and extending into innovation and our digital offerings through the AFL / AFLW apps and all 18 clubs’ websites.
The total agreement we are announcing today with our broadcast partners covers seven seasons from Season 2025 – until the end of the 2031 season and will deliver footy a financial return of $4.5 billion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha I get you’re looking for some silver liNing to this disaster but it’s really not!
I mean it’s been conformed by afl that it is $643 mill a year starting in 2025 and running until 2031. even if we take out telstra that’s $593mill v $402mill. We are fcked!

Iamback

Coach
No thats the accepted wisdom here. Not really mentioned anywhere else. If it was true, the figures for the next deal would be more in line with 500m pa

Which is why I believe between now and end of 2031 that $4.5b is coming, Just not between 2025-2031 only

Iamback

Coach
Haha I get you’re looking for some silver liNing to this disaster but it’s really not!
I mean it’s been conformed by afl that it is $643 mill a year starting in 2025 and running until 2031. even if we take out telstra that’s $593mill v $402mill. We are fcked!

What have the channels said not what have they said

Colk

First Grade
Fox are making ridiculous bank off NRL thanks to a sweetheart deal and its now being used to fund our direct competitors for the next decade. There is no way V'landys can continue.

You’re assuming that News Ltd won’t go into bat for their white knight. You have to remember he is their man who’s going to allow them to sell for unders.

Perth Red

Post Whore
VLandys has sold the game down the river and has to go. There where always doubts about his links with news ltd through his day job but if this doesnt confirm it I dont know what will.
Either nrl is of very low value to media or Vlandys has sold us a country mile short. Which is it?

I mean if you look at the fact this is just Australian media there is a gap of $223million A YEAR in how Australian media values the two codes. It’s just nuts!

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’re assuming that News Ltd won’t go into bat for their white knight. You have to remember he is their man who’s going to allow them to sell for unders.
Of course they will, f**k he gifted them a deal of a lifetime, even sweeter than when they actually ran the game!

Perth Red

Post Whore
What have the channels said not what have they said
You think they are lying? lol
i get you must be pretty embarrassed right about now after the last few weeks of telling us they won’t get over $500mill but you really think they are going to publicly announce a false deal?

Latest posts