What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

All this debate is really nonsense until such time as we can compare with AFL’s next deal because at the moment we are talking about two different timeframes - our deal is based on post-COVID and post re-negotiated deal, their deal is still framed around COVID and their re-negotiated deal. We’re not comparing like for like.

Both codes made a mistake by renegotiating whilst during COVID and in a position of weakness. That’s pretty clear.

Our deal on the surface doesn’t look like a great one. Yes we have got a small prcantage increase but we have given far too much away and gained far too little.

Notwithstanding, if AFL don’t get an increase from 24 onwards, then perhaps that is just a reflection of Australian media rights reaching its apex, rather than anything to do with our negotiating tactics. We’ll see though
Utter bullshit about being a mistake renogiating during Covid .
There was no other choice .
If games couldn't be played then those sports have not delivered the content they were contracted to deliver .
No other media companies were interested so it was sit down & renegotiate with FTA & STV .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your babbling now- throwing figures around that have no meaning Old deal 1.8billion over five years= thats $360m yearly- made up from Nine Fox Telstra
New deal over $400m yearly. It a bald face lie that the new deal is lower than the old. The NRL has increased by $40m/65m at the least- Fox contribution is UP not down.
You can’t ignoring the nz deal in last deal and include it in this one lol.

I never said the total deal was less. I said the fox and nine deal same (excluding extra nine contra) despite expansion and all the concessions made.

once again as you clearly didn’t read my other posts

nine $130million (same cash amount $10mill extra contra)
fox $240 mill (same as previous deal)
nz $32,8mill (up from $20mill)

total 2023-2027 $400mill v 2018-2022 $380mill. At least $10mill of that increase not cash.

if you all think that’s a good outcome based on us adding another club and giving all the concessions we have then so be it, personally I don’t.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All this debate is really nonsense until such time as we can compare with AFL’s next deal because at the moment we are talking about two different timeframes - our deal is based on post-COVID and post re-negotiated deal, their deal is still framed around COVID and their re-negotiated deal. We’re not comparing like for like.

Both codes made a mistake by renegotiating whilst during COVID and in a position of weakness. That’s pretty clear.

Our deal on the surface doesn’t look like a great one. Yes we have got a small prcantage increase but we have given far too much away and gained far too little.

Notwithstanding, if AFL don’t get an increase from 24 onwards, then perhaps that is just a reflection of Australian media rights reaching its apex, rather than anything to do with our negotiating tactics. We’ll see though
Alas Vlandys refuses to accept accountability so we won’t be able to compare. Hopefully one day the arlc will be transparent again and report the media revenue honestly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Utter bullshit about being a mistake renogiating during Covid .
If games couldn't be played then those sports have not delivered the content they were contracted to deliver .
No other media companies were interested so it was sit down & renegotiate with FTA & STV .
There was no need to renogtiate beyond 2022 in 2020. as it played out covid had little effect on number of games shown.
the irony is tv audiences have gone up during covid and fta tv advertising revenue went through the roof last year for a record revenue generation. i understand the need t9 negotiate for 20&21, though I still think we got stiffed and the public comments by Ch9 during that period were totally unacceptable from a so called partner of the game.

there was no need to accept a $100million reduction from ptv in 2020 for a deal that wasnt going to start for 3 years and would run until 2027. The uncertainty put us in a weak position and it told accordingly with what Vlandys accepted from his news ltd mates, A ONE HUNDRED million dollar reduction!

Perth Red

Post Whore
rubbish
we can compare years 18 to 22 quite easily
both affected by covid
Sadly we can’t from 2020 as we hide our figures now. We are just making educated (for some lol) guesses on our results as we can no longer see the actuals.

2018 $317.8mill cash + $23.6mill contra
2019 $324.6mill + $24.4mill contra
2020?.? ?Cash + $15.4mill contra

Last edited:
You can’t ignoring the nz deal in last deal and include it in this one lol.

I never said the total deal was less. I said the fox and nine deal same (excluding extra nine contra) despite expansion and all the concessions made.

once again as you clearly didn’t read my other posts

nine $130million (same cash amount $10mill extra contra)
fox $240 mill (same as previous deal)
nz $32,8mill (up from $20mill)

total 2023-2027 $400mill v 2018-2022 $380mill. At least $10mill of that increase not cash.

if you all think that’s a good outcome based on us adding another club and giving all the concessions we have then so be it, personally I don’t.
its a good deal based on covid

if we hadn't brought in the Phins , we'd of got 100 million less as we were contracted to foxtel til 2027
If covid didn't happen we'd be on 260 million pa with them 23-27
Covid cost us any significant increase , not vlandys

Sadly we can’t from 2020 as we hide our figures now. We are just making educated (for some lol) guesses on our results as we can no longer see the actuals.

2018 $317.8mill cash + $23.6mill contra
2019 $324.6mill + $24.4mill contra
2020?.? ?Cash + $15.4mill contra
educated guesses ?

you mean like the AFL's deal in 23-24 ?

There was no need to renogtiate beyond 2022 in 2020. as it played out covid had little effect on number of games shown.
the irony is tv audiences have gone up during covid and fta tv advertising revenue went through the roof last year for a record revenue generation.
and how the F..ark , did anyone know that at the time you twit

& gee
TV audiences went up did they ?

didn't have anything to do with lockdowns ?
hahahaha

I mean
OMFG

Perth Red

Post Whore
its a good deal based on covid

if we hadn't brought in the Phins , we'd of got 100 million less as we were contracted to foxtel til 2027
If covid didn't happen we'd be on 260 million pa with them 23-27
Covid cost us any significant increase , not vlandys
Rubbish. You or I don’t know what the situation will be with covid in 23-27. Fingers crossed it’s over and done with in which case he signed us up to a significant reduction in a period covid may no longer be an issue.

we had just been hit by covid and no one knew what was going to happen or impact it would have, there was fear and dooms day scenarios, why on earth would you agree to an extended reduced deal when we where in that period of time? best case it was fear reaction from him, worse case it was a good time to do a deal for his mates that benefitted them significantly And cost us greatly. Either reason it cost the game $100million from 2023. A decision that is going to hamstring us for many years.

like I said tv audiences have gone up as had tv advertising expenditure in last 2 years, covid has been a boom time for tv!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
and how the F..ark , did anyone know that at the time you twit

& gee
TV audiences went up did they ?

didn't have anything to do with lockdowns ?
hahahaha

I mean
OMFG
They didn’t know, which is why you wouldn’t rush a bad contract decision. Hold fire and see what happens, we did it with fta and dint cost us anything, we rushed it with ptv and it cost us $100mill. Makes you wonder why doesn’t it?
Either Vlandys panicked or he took the opportunity to give news ltd a good deal, either way it cost us $100million and was a sht decision.

of course it was due to lock downs lol, doesn’t matter what it was due to, what matters is tv didn’t get harmed by covid, quite the opposite.

They didn’t know, which is why you wouldn’t rush a bad contract decision. Hold fire and see what happens, we did it with fta and dint cost us anything, we rushed it with ptv and it cost us $100mill. Makes you wonder why doesn’t it?
Either Vlandys panicked or he took the opportunity to give news ltd a good deal, either way it cost us $100million and was a sht decision.

of course it was due to lock downs lol, doesn’t matter what it was due to, what matters is tv didn’t get harmed by covid, quite the opposite.
or hold fire & bankrupt the code
again

your beloved derps n misses did exactly the same thing
but no criticism of them eh ?

lets drop this in for PR so he doesn't forget eh
It is the first time since 1971 that the AFL has signed a reduced broadcast agreement.
New Year Smiling GIF

Latest posts