What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

jim_57

Staff member
Hamilton had a home team playing though. But agree, expected Cairns to draw more than that. Barlow is an absolute dive though.

Yeh fair point, I’m sure it would have drawn better if Cowboys were the away team as it has in the past. As Vee pointed out there seems to be a very big difference in stadium quality & comfort at play as well.

I still think it’s pretty disappointing as Cairns hasn’t had an NRL game since 2018.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Yeh fair point, I’m sure it would have drawn better if Cowboys were the away team as it has in the past. As Vee pointed out there seems to be a very big difference in stadium quality & comfort at play as well.

I still think it’s pretty disappointing as Cairns hasn’t had an NRL game since 2018.
Was the (yawn) Maditas game on at the same time ?

DIOGENES

Juniors
I think any Australian game would suffer tonight. I even watched the soccer although it just confirmed to me that it is not my sport.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Pretty awful to be honest for their only game of the year, looks almost triple that in similar sized city Hamilton.
To be fair to Cairns while the city populations look similar the Waikato regional population is double that of Far North QLD in a much smaller area, plus Auckland is next door with another 1.5M people. There’s more than 10x the population of FNQ within 150km of Hamilton.

Last edited:

Lidcombe Bull

Juniors

Interestingly today’s crowd in Cairns was an improvement on the 2018 crowd of 7195, which was for Souths v Cowboys.

In 2013 they got 16,000 at Barlow for Souths v Titans but that was the first NRL game there.

I don’t think it makes the proposal to have a Pacifica or PNG expansion team based in Cairns sound like a good idea, considering the last few crowds there.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Nope, during the warriors game.
Best part of football was the penalty shoot-outs, can you imagine sitting for hour twenty minutes with no goals 😴
Agree thats the only thing I like is the penalty shoot outs as it is edge of the seat entertainment esp if it's England mens team losing.

yakstorm

First Grade
The NRL would be excited at the prospect of selling Broncos v Warriors or Broncos v Storm in Round 1 of the Finals.

Both those match ups would easily attract near capacity crowds.

jim_57

Staff member
To be fair to Cairns while the city populations look similar the Waikato regional population is double that of Far North QLD in a much smaller area, plus Auckland is next door with another 1.5M people. There’s more than 10x the population of FNQ within 150km of Hamilton.

Yeh population:crowd comparison is slightly unfair to Cairns on that one I’ll admit. I still think 8300 for Cairns’ first NRL game in 5 years in clear weather is poor. All other “bush” games have outdrawn it except for Bundaberg.

Harry O

Juniors
The CC Final attracted a crowd of 58,213 at Wembley, but 20k others couldn't make it coz of a accident, a poor Hull KR fan passed away as a result

Leber

Bench
Question: if the warriors win in week 1, they would get week 2 off. Does that mean that week 3 (grand final qualifier) would be played in nz?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Question: if the warriors win in week 1, they would get week 2 off. Does that mean that week 3 (grand final qualifier) would be played in nz?
Yes, NZ would get a home prelim but it would need to be in a stadium with a capacity greater than 25,000. The NRL owns the finals so I reckon they would definitely request Eden Park or ask for the north stand at Mt Smart be set up again.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
There were multiple videos showing people watching the Matildas game at the SFS...should have pushed the Roosters kick-off back to 8:10 IMO.

It's Saturday night, it doesn't matter, and our TV ratings would have been much bigger, as the average was skewed by people joining the coverage at half-time (like myself).

One game was a national event, and the other a regular club game.

It's like the A-League playing on the same night as Origin!

If you want to argue with me, you're missing the point.

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Really gotta do something about the look of the main stands at AAMI.

Put the prices down so the product can look a bit better on the telly and the crowd isn't all at the ends.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Really gotta do something about the look of the main stands at AAMI.

Put the prices down so the product can look a bit better on the telly and the crowd isn't all at the ends.
Culturally diehard fans in Victoria sit behind the goals. AFL "cheer squad" influence.

Plus it's so cheap to do so in Melbourne

Latest posts