What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Pneuma

First Grade
Any ideas on how to increase them?

I thought a more positive outlook might help, but you didn't seem to like that.
Increase afl crowds? Don’t know. They lost a few 100,000 last year apparently. Ours went up and likely to rise again. Maybe start this discussion on the afl forum?

Pneuma

First Grade
Now back to NRL crowds.....
You brought afl up. They lost 800000 spectators between 2019 and 2022 and 5000 spectators a game.
Our crowds went up 230000 and average crowds went up 1250.
I hope this helps. Maybe you and your afl friends can learn from us?

Pneuma

First Grade
Afl stuff is irrelevant. I think the nrl or clubs need to look at pricing for both times and opposition. Commbank was way too expensive for a Thursday night.
Our friend brought it up. Pricing on a Thursday should be an obvious consideration. Game deserved a better crowd but it was okay.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I expect the same could be said of a number of AFL teams. But their supporters still turn up.

AFL fans seem to enjoy watching AFL games. Perhaps we should encourage NRL fans to enjoy watching NRL games. Novel idea for RL, but it could catch on.

We'll see the difference in a fortnight. Richmond v Carlton is first-up. Think we can safely assume the crowd will be more than 17k.
I understand AFL and enjoy it to a degree. There's a number of factors that contribute to their attendance compared to league.
1 : There's no bad seats, the action happens all over the pitch.
2: The field is much bigger, so bigger stadium with significantly more quality seating.
3: You see more at the game than on TV , there's people trying to get free and create a lead and this is happening everywhere. You can only fully see the play coming together at the ground . On TV you only see a window. ( basically the opposite to league)
4: the prices for a decent seat( which is almost anywhere) is significantly cheaper. The good seats to watch league are in the middle and basically double at least.
5. The game goes longer so you make a day of it.
6. All those factors combine make a bigger crowd so you have more atmosphere.

In short it's a completely different sport! And almost nothing about it is comparable.

The same way tennis aren't intimidated by league crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eels fans are fickle. Their team has let them down for nearly 40 years now.
If they have success, it will be a giant awakened.
They are coming off the back of a GF appearance, hardly a sht club! I suspect that given stupid kick off time on a school night that a lot of GA members and their free children didnt go hence the big empty end stands. I hate these dumb fan unfriendly KO times. Maybe we need to bring in dynamic ticket pricing to help counteract the Ko time barrier? Make the sht games (Thurs and Fri 6pm) cheaper to attend? Also why cant we have a 7pm KO on a Thursday night?

Also looking at commbank last night couldn't we design stadiums to have stand capacity the other way in regards to a larger lower bowl and a smaller top bowl?
If you could get the lower bowl to 20k and top bowl to 10k then you could curtain off the top level and have a nice full lower bowl which would look much better and create a better atmosphere? Commbank is designed with a much larger top bowl and smaller lower bowl which looks a bit sht even with 17k in.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I expect the same could be said of a number of AFL teams. But their supporters still turn up.

AFL fans seem to enjoy watching AFL games. Perhaps we should encourage NRL fans to enjoy watching NRL games. Novel idea for RL, but it could catch on.

We'll see the difference in a fortnight. Richmond v Carlton is first-up. Think we can safely assume the crowd will be more than 17k.
Do you think since the afl will get such a large crowd more league fans will tune in just to watch said crowd ?

the problem is In between shots of said amazing crowd the camera is going to catch the action on the field

Wb1234

Referee
They are coming off the back of a GF appearance, hardly a sht club! I suspect that given stupid kick off time on a school night that a lot of GA members and their free children didnt go hence the big empty end stands. I hate these dumb fan unfriendly KO times. Maybe we need to bring in dynamic ticket pricing to help counteract the Ko time barrier? Make the sht games (Thurs and Fri 6pm) cheaper to attend? Also why cant we have a 7pm KO on a Thursday night?
Maybe clubs have worked out ticket demand is fairly inelastic and current pricing is the best way to maximise revenue

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe clubs have worked out ticket demand is fairly inelastic and current pricing is the best way to maximise revenue
Maybe, but I havent seen it tried so I wonder if they really know?
Other sports and entertainment areas use it so wonder why NRL fans would be so different?

214Four

Juniors
There's alot of hype and excitement around the bulldogs and tigers atm. Both have chosen to play their first home games at their traditional grounds. I can see both pulling large crowds (for suburban ground standards). Wouldn't be surprised if one or both have to pull out the old 'hill full' signs

beave

Coach
Bulldogs Tigers rd3 should be at Commbank. Why the f$&@ would you want to play it at Belmore?

Gobsmacked

Bench
The thing with the NRL is that it has been designed for TV. The kick off times are prime time, no games overlap so you can watch all of them on a Saturday or whatever.
And as a fan, honestly I can't complain because it works for me watching a game on TV and TV is the biggest revenue source which is substantial.

Simply put , the NRL knows what side it's bread is buttered on.

Despite that it still does ok 🤷‍♂️
Late Thursday night with an out of town team... 17k , not bad. Not bad at all.
I think the overall situation with attendance is improving anyway with new stadiums ect. If we stay on this path, crowds will build slowly over time.

214Four

Juniors
Bulldogs Tigers rd3 should be at Commbank. Why the would you want to play it at Belmore?
Where the 'f$&@' did I say anything about me wanting it played at Belmore? If you stopped and read what I said properly you would see that. All the f$&@ i said was the game will generate a large crowd (by suburban ground standards).

What I want has nothing to do with what I said, just like ur highly emotional opinions on the games location has no influence or bearing to what the bulldogs decide... they chose to play at Belmore not me lol.
Got that toots?

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Bulldogs Tigers rd3 should be at Commbank. Why the f$&@ would you want to play it at Belmore?
Most people are missing this.
The crowd attendance figures aren't the hill to die on.
Rugby league has a rich proud history and every time we tap into that we give the game and competition another dimension.
You can't buy nostalgia and history. And that is what will engage fans more broadly.
It's going to be beautiful to see. It might not get more at the ground but it will carry a lot more weight.