What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Suitman

Post Whore
Only 30,600 or so at the Gabba. Disappointing considering it was a sell-out. Playing this one at the Gabba has come at a cost of 20k fans. Bloody soccer.

This Bloody soccer has already sold over a million tickets for this woman's world cup.
It's actually a great argument for rectangular stadium upgrades across the country if only us rectangular codes could work together and fight off the scourge of that f**king shit ball game from the south that insists on circular stadiums in this country.

Suitman

Post Whore
For the record.......

The venue hosted seven football matches during the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, including the quarter-final between Brazil and Cameroon in front of a capacity 37,332 fans. Rugby League holds the attendance record at the ground, with 47,096 people attending a 1954 Test Match between Australia and Great Britain. The highest cricket crowd is 39,874 for a one day international between Australia and South Africa in 2006, while the highest AFL crowd is 37,478 for a 2019 Finals game between the Brisbane Lions and Richmond. While the stadium's capacity is officially 41,974 according to the venue, it has been reduced due to a number of factors including a temporary deck area behind the goals. The current capacity for AFL matches at the venue is approximately 36,000.

** I wonder if there has ever been a game played there in minus 6 degree temps?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
For the record.......

The venue hosted seven football matches during the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, including the quarter-final between Brazil and Cameroon in front of a capacity 37,332 fans. Rugby League holds the attendance record at the ground, with 47,096 people attending a 1954 Test Match between Australia and Great Britain. The highest cricket crowd is 39,874 for a one day international between Australia and South Africa in 2006, while the highest AFL crowd is 37,478 for a 2019 Finals game between the Brisbane Lions and Richmond. While the stadium's capacity is officially 41,974 according to the venue, it has been reduced due to a number of factors including a temporary deck area behind the goals. The current capacity for AFL matches at the venue is approximately 36,000.

Our round 1 game vs the bunnies in 2015 was so humid that I actually thought I was going to pass out.

I won't scream at you to make you believe me though!

Theknightsrule7

Juniors
Broncos should be playing lower drawing teams at the Gabba. But yeah it's a one off.

Also dolphins have dropped off a tad so it may not have sold out at suncorp this time.

Vibing

Juniors
For the record.......

living rent free in yr head

fragile
very fragile

Billythekid

First Grade
This Bloody soccer has already sold over a million tickets for this woman's world cup.
It's actually a great argument for rectangular stadium upgrades across the country if only us rectangular codes could work together and fight off the scourge of that f**king shit ball game from the south that insists on circular stadiums in this country.
It’s also a huge boon for womens sport in this country which is a great thing for most of our codes. We should be looking on and thinking about how we can push our women’s game as well because it’s such a huge potential area for growth.

Sitting in the corner crying about soccer because we had to change a few venues is missing the forest for the trees.

It’s also a huge boon for womens sport in this country which is a great thing for most of our codes. We should be looking on and thinking about how we can push our women’s game as well because it’s such a huge potential area for growth.

Sitting in the corner crying about soccer because we had to change a few venues is missing the forest for the trees.
I can’t like this post enough

poor soap dodger got its knickers ( which haven't been washed for a month ) in a twist because i suggested pommy fans live in shit holes so turn up to watch oxygen thieves regularly because they have nothing else to do..
The only post of yours I've objected to is the one claiming Souths deserved a poor crowd against the Cowboys.

fact is & my point was ... you said winning isn't a factor for crowds ,
I believe we focus too much on results in relation to crowds. It gives ammunition to detractors.

In the lead-up to Origin 2 some media outlets were running stories about how much money would be lost by a Game 3 dead rubber, with none-too-subtle hints that a fix was on the cards. These ratbag journos didn't return after the game to acknowledge their error. But they couldn't even attempt to undermine the credibility of events whose prestige were sufficient to guarantee full stadia.

What you call rewarding mediocrity I call making impossible demands. Teams have to win. Not by too much though, we won't tolerate blowouts. Then the definition of blowout gets ratcheted further and further up. I've seen terrific games with one score the difference after 60-70 mins be written off as a blowout because the winning team scored 2 or 3 tries in the final 10 mins.

Other sports frequently serve up one-sided or turgid fare. Their fans don't turn on their own game. Why does RL have to be perfect every time to keep the crowds coming?

Pneuma

First Grade

100% Womens participation in league has grown very well but is still in its infancy. To ensure its growth (and mens as well) we should be promoting all versions of the game including tag and touch. I still see comps where women’s participation is barely scratching the surface. The sharks comp has seen a massive increase in women participation because it offers all forms of the game at senior and junior levels. If you want people to become invested in the game and watch it on tv or attend games give them a chance to participate in it in some manner so they connect with it more meaningfully.

Vibing

Juniors
Why does RL have to be perfect every time to keep the crowds coming?
They don't have to be perfect,
we had the Dragons with a full house only a few weeks ago,
Manly today..
both struggling big time , plenty of other good turnouts similar in 2023 too.
But to expect full houses for struggling teams every week is utter garbage , no one here cares what other sports fans do , if they want to revel in & reward average , that's their business

Brutus

Referee
I heard it mentioned that we need more hot women playing RL.

I don't agree personally as I think crowds are fine as it is and the NRLW rates well.

I just hope they don't follow the AFL by introducing too many teama too quickly.

Latest posts