What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Our best game comfortably beats their best game.

It will come down to who brings their best game.

Our experience will help a lot, but we cant count on the ‘shock and awe’ tactic that won us the game last year. They will be more prepared than the Eels
Not sure anyone's forwards can be prepared for that level of consistent onslaught

soc123_au

Staff member
Our best game comfortably beats their best game.

It will come down to who brings their best game.

Our experience will help a lot, but we cant count on the ‘shock and awe’ tactic that won us the game last year. They will be more prepared than the Eels
You cant prepare for Fish & Leota in beast mode. You know it's coming, you know it's going to hurt, but all you can do is try and survive. And just when you think the worst is over Spencer runs on.

Hass is an excellent front rower with a huge engine, but he doesn't have the tools to match what our boys bring. His strength is doing what he does for longer minutes. Flegler is already shitting himself and Carrigan will be about as effective as Cam Murray is against us.

First decent read I've had from the roar.
Smug in cheek socky.

The club has matured a lot in the last few years.

Becoming a behemoth has served you well in subjective matters.

The era of the smug, 7 years was bandied around a few weeks ago.

This is year 4 In the smuggy era by my reckoning.

soc123_au

Staff member
Smug in cheek socky.

I think it could go longer than 7, that not to say 7 premierships, but at least thereabouts. A lot will depend how long Yeo can maintain this level or finding a like for like when he moves up front to finish his stellar career.

I'll just keep enjoying it for as long as it lasts.

maple_69

Bench
We’ve put a lot of work into Smith and he in turn has been very patient. Re-signing him when we need to lock up our 5/8 is a clear sign that we see him as more than a bench prop. He has better hands than Yeo and just as big an engine. Time will tell if he has the game smarts. Either way, Yeo will be 33 when his contract is up and Smith’s ends one year prior. If Smith continues developing, he’ll be just entering his prime and perfectly placed to transition into that role, part time, then full time.

Outside of horrendous injury years I can’t really see us not being a serious contender for the next decade while Cleary is playing. We’ve built a system that doesn’t require superstar freaks, just insane work ethic and unending hunger.

I think it could go longer than 7, that not to say 7 premierships, but at least thereabouts. A lot will depend how long Yeo can maintain this level or finding a like for like when he moves up front to finish his stellar career.

I'll just keep enjoying it for as long as it lasts.

He’s an enigma that’s for sure.

Yeah, I think the era officially started the year you lost that gf.

Then it’s just been rolling on, but for the odd hiccup.

W v L is the true measure. The gf is nice theatre, that’s my measure.

Ivan is the superior tactical coach. There’s no genuine feeling of comfort with the Broncs, just another club trying to make a name for themselves!

18 plus I’d say. They look terrified already.

As for over-confidence, Ivan has that sorted.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We’ve put a lot of work into Smith and he in turn has been very patient. Re-signing him when we need to lock up our 5/8 is a clear sign that we see him as more than a bench prop. He has better hands than Yeo and just as big an engine. Time will tell if he has the game smarts. Either way, Yeo will be 33 when his contract is up and Smith’s ends one year prior. If Smith continues developing, he’ll be just entering his prime and perfectly placed to transition into that role, part time, then full time.

Outside of horrendous injury years I can’t really see us not being a serious contender for the next decade while Cleary is playing. We’ve built a system that doesn’t require superstar freaks, just insane work ethic and unending hunger.
Better hands than Yeo haha come on

MugaB

Coach
Smug in cheek socky.

All this started when maloney came in, cleary and yeo learnt how to shrugg off minor losses during gameplay, and reset to truck on, that was james maloneys motto...its why there is so many play for play and every set, every inch is another chance to climb back from a deficit, ive seen so many games in that period of 2018-2020 where we mounted a last quarter comeback to win the game... its as if it was intentional to drop starts so that we'd fire up at the back end, its no coincidence that we start hitting GFs consistently after maloney leaves for france

All this started when maloney came in, cleary and yeo learnt how to shrugg off minor losses during gameplay, and reset to truck on, that was james maloneys motto...its why there is so many play for play and every set, every inch is another chance to climb back from a deficit, ive seen so many games in that period of 2018-2020 where we mounted a last quarter comeback to win the game... its as if it was intentional to drop starts so that we'd fire up at the back end, its no coincidence that we start hitting GFs consistently after maloney leaves for france
Maloney, yes, such a complex player to unpack.

When he was on, he had that beautiful sense of timing.

Im really looking forward to the return of the panthers defensive wall of death.

Rattle them from the get go.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Better hands than Yeo haha come on
I'm not sure I'd say better, but there's probably not much in it really. Yeos brilliance in attack is a combination of very good hands, vision and decision making. It's not crazy to say that Lindsay has the first of those attributes and could compare to the great one if he develops the other two.

Big if obviously.

betcats

Referee

There was a moment against Melbourne when Smith received an offload and he took a hit up but on his way dummied twice rather than just tucking the ball under his arm. It looked very natural for him. I think he has a chance of kicking on to become one of the better prop/locks in the game over the next few years. He has skill, size and a great work ethic, he doesnt miss tackles and he makes repeated defensive efforts. He really has all the attributes to develop into a great lock if he can make some small improvements on the physical side(leg drive, foot speed).