What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Runrabbit14

Juniors
NRL and RLPA reach CBA agreement: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/08/10/nrl-rlpa-reach-cba-agreement/

'That was a little potshot' - Reynolds fires back at Souths over Ilias claim: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-souths-over-ilias-claim-20230810-p5dvi0.html
Not sure what JD hoped to achieve with that comment as it defies belief you would go there with Ilias’s form over the last couple of months !!
Our season is on life support and we have fallen off a cliff and you dish that comment up ???
The rhetoric coming out of the club has been the same for the last 10 games but we have failed to walk the talk….
There has to be a response tomorrow on the field - surely !!

handyman2190

Bench
Not sure what JD hoped to achieve with that comment as it defies belief you would go there with Ilias’s form over the last couple of months !!
Our season is on life support and we have fallen off a cliff and you dish that comment up ???
The rhetoric coming out of the club has been the same for the last 10 games but we have failed to walk the talk….
There has to be a response tomorrow on the field - surely !!
Jd hoped to give ilias a bit of encouragment,if ilias has been reading some of the garbage written it wouldnt be doing hes confidence any good. We are bloody stuck with him, weve all got to get over it and give him a chance,he is still raw and, inexperienced, im not making excuses for him because we are all disappointed, but there is no money to buy a 7 and we just gave the dogs the best 1 we had.
We also need 4 forwards so we all sit here in gloom,watching this space for recruiting news,and i dont mean resigning what we have,but new recruits and nothing,while every other team buys up gets better and we go backwards,its a joke

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs to open Season 2024 in Las Vegas Double Header: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-to-open-season-2024-in-las-vegas-double-header

Pretty big news!! We're going to be one of the clubs going to Vegas to open Season 2024 next year. On the surface, I'm not overly keen as it will be a bit of a big distraction, the travel strain will be immense and footy players in vegas is a potential for trouble.

However, when you really think about it, this is huge in the history of our club. Behind involved in the NRL's first real venture into the USA? Who wouldn't want to be involved in that? The opportunity to grow our profile and grow our supporter base over there will be huge.

I wasn't keen on it at first but I am now. Only if it becomes a 'Round 0' though and we get the week off afterwards. Surely that will happen right? Gonna be pretty cool!

Travitoh

First Grade
Playing fantasy GM...

Apparently Wiremu Greig is yet to sign a deal for next season and would be a nice addition to our pack. Same as Jacob Alick who's current deal has a club option for next season. If he can pass a medical, Luke Thompson could be good value while we wait for a couple of the young middles to develop.

Of our expiring deals, Gray and Munro are probably the only ones I'd look at re-signing. I assume Kalo-Kalo has been injured and would look at re-signing him to the development squad.

Hellray

Juniors
Playing fantasy GM...

Apparently Wiremu Greig is yet to sign a deal for next season and would be a nice addition to our pack. Same as Jacob Alick who's current deal has a club option for next season. If he can pass a medical, Luke Thompson could be good value while we wait for a couple of the young middles to develop.

Of our expiring deals, Gray and Munro are probably the only ones I'd look at re-signing. I assume Kalo-Kalo has been injured and would look at re-signing him to the development squad.

Brodie Jones isn’t being resigned by the knights, he could be someone we could get cheap and see if a change of scenery helps him kick on.
I’d also be happy to take back Ky Rodwell from the eels as he is stuck and not getting a chance

handyman2190

Bench
Playing fantasy GM...

I wouldnt take thompson for nothing,did u see his defence sinday,he is a rorter 800k and how many games in 3 years,No thanks,grieg definately smith from penriff yes

Rabbits20

Immortal
RABBITOHS

Off-contract 2023: Dean Hawkins, Michael Chee Kam, Terrell Kalo Kalo, Jye Gray (Dev, CO), Richard Kennar (Dev)

Off-contract 2024: Ben Lovett, Isaiah Tass, Izaac Thompson, Jai Arrow, Josiah Karapani, Keaon Koloamatangi, Leon Te Hau, Peter Mamouzelos, Shaquai Mitchell, Taane Milne, Tom Burgess

Analysis: The Rabbitohs didn’t sign a single player last season, which was seen a sign of stability, but settled or not their squad just hasn’t lived up to the hype in 2023. Granted they were first early in the season, but Latrell Mitchell’s injury has exposed some glaring weaknesses in their team that he papers over when he is fit and firing. Of the five players off-contract at the end of this season only Michael Chee Kam warrants an extension based on what he has produced in 2023. As of November 1 the club will need to work hard to re-sign Origin stars Keaon Koloamatangi and Jai Arrow long-term as both are crucial members of their pack. Tom Burgess is widely tipped to retire after next season, but given his form he could go around again in 2025 at this stage. Isaiah Tass is likely to be forced out with Jack Wighton coming to the club to play in the centres. However, it is impossible to deny that the Rabbitohs have failed to fill the huge hole left by their blunder of letting Adam Reynolds go. Lachlan Ilias has plenty of potential, but likely won’t develop into a consistent No.7 in the NRL for a few more years. Between Ilias and Cody Walker, who is not a noted kicker, Souths’ poor kicking game has been exposed since Reynolds’ departure and they can’t win a premiership without one. Souths’ management need to swallow their pride and restructure their roster to bring in a halfback while they wait for Ilias to develop. Playing Wighton and Walker in the halves may be an option, but neither player is a noted kicker, so they may have to look at chasing a No.7 on the open market. That would be admitting they made the wrong call with Reynolds, but it is better to admit your mistakes than bury your head in the sand because what they are doing at the moment isn’t working. Unfortunately there are not many halfbacks available on the open market.

handyman2190

Bench
RABBITOHS

Off-contract 2023: Dean Hawkins, Michael Chee Kam, Terrell Kalo Kalo, Jye Gray (Dev, CO), Richard Kennar (Dev)

Off-contract 2024: Ben Lovett, Isaiah Tass, Izaac Thompson, Jai Arrow, Josiah Karapani, Keaon Koloamatangi, Leon Te Hau, Peter Mamouzelos, Shaquai Mitchell, Taane Milne, Tom Burgess

Analysis: The Rabbitohs didn’t sign a single player last season, which was seen a sign of stability, but settled or not their squad just hasn’t lived up to the hype in 2023. Granted they were first early in the season, but Latrell Mitchell’s injury has exposed some glaring weaknesses in their team that he papers over when he is fit and firing. Of the five players off-contract at the end of this season only Michael Chee Kam warrants an extension based on what he has produced in 2023. As of November 1 the club will need to work hard to re-sign Origin stars Keaon Koloamatangi and Jai Arrow long-term as both are crucial members of their pack. Tom Burgess is widely tipped to retire after next season, but given his form he could go around again in 2025 at this stage. Isaiah Tass is likely to be forced out with Jack Wighton coming to the club to play in the centres. However, it is impossible to deny that the Rabbitohs have failed to fill the huge hole left by their blunder of letting Adam Reynolds go. Lachlan Ilias has plenty of potential, but likely won’t develop into a consistent No.7 in the NRL for a few more years. Between Ilias and Cody Walker, who is not a noted kicker, Souths’ poor kicking game has been exposed since Reynolds’ departure and they can’t win a premiership without one. Souths’ management need to swallow their pride and restructure their roster to bring in a halfback while they wait for Ilias to develop. Playing Wighton and Walker in the halves may be an option, but neither player is a noted kicker, so they may have to look at chasing a No.7 on the open market. That would be admitting they made the wrong call with Reynolds, but it is better to admit your mistakes than bury your head in the sand because what they are doing at the moment isn’t working. Unfortunately there are not many halfbacks available on the open market.

Were did you find this brother,i cant say i agree with all of it,arrow has resigned, jye gray is a talent and should be kept,along with kalo kalo who has been injured, tass will not be forced out,he will be used as the winger in 1st grade ive been told

Hellray

Juniors
Were did you find this brother,i cant say i agree with all of it,arrow has resigned, jye gray is a talent and should be kept,along with kalo kalo who has been injured, tass will not be forced out,he will be used as the winger in 1st grade ive been told
This was posted online yesterday for every team.
I think there still needs to be a few official announcements for a few like arrow and Keon.
Gray will surely be kept on, he seems to be developing well. Mamazoulous will be the main guy i would be trying to keep as cookie needs to be replaced eventually

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I wasn't before but now I'm thinking that Tass might be gone, and we go with a cheaper option as in Munro.
I know he didn't have a great last game, but the kid is only 18. Nothing beats the blistering speed he has. If he fix his handles, and improve his defensive reads, he is the future. He is rocks and diamonds at the moment but the things he needs to fix are fixable.

truthslayer

Juniors
I wasn't before but now I'm thinking that Tass might be gone, and we go with a cheaper option as in Munro.
I know he didn't have a great last game, but the kid is only 18. Nothing beats the blistering speed he has. If he fix his handles, and improve his defensive reads, he is the future. He is rocks and diamonds at the moment but the things he needs to fix are fixable.
Tass and his defence has not been consistent and has has some horrible misses. Hasnt really stepped around many either, I think he’s solid without star attraction yet.

callmack1

Staff member
Saw a report that Sam wants Tom at Warrington. He wants him for 2025 but would certainly entertain the idea of 2024 and it's said that Souths wouldn't stand in Tom's way if he could secure a long contract.

Surely not? Not for 2024 anyway. I could see it happening in 2025 and would be content with that, but please not 2024. We desperately need him next year and he just re-signed. He's still one of, if not, the best forwards at the club.

Also, sorry, I missed this article the other day,

'I love Sam Kerr, but I love Luke Combs more' - Why Latrell's skipping Matildas: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...rell-s-skipping-matildas-20230815-p5dwr0.html

handyman2190

Bench
Saw a report that Sam wants Tom at Warrington. He wants him for 2025 but would certainly entertain the idea of 2024 and it's said that Souths wouldn't stand in Tom's way if he could secure a long contract.

Surely not? Not for 2024 anyway. I could see it happening in 2025 and would be content with that, but please not 2024. We desperately need him next year and he just re-signed. He's still one of, if not, the best forwards at the club.

Also, sorry, I missed this article the other day,

'I love Sam Kerr, but I love Luke Combs more' - Why Latrell's skipping Matildas: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...rell-s-skipping-matildas-20230815-p5dwr0.html
If the club let thomas go it would be lunacy, there is a dirth of talent and props on the market and we are already short 2, were do they come from?
If we dont beat newcastle we are done this year and next year wont be better,in fact im sorry to say we are on a downward spiral,recruitment is absolutely garbage