What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024-25 Off Season Incidents

T.S Quint

Coach
Paddy Cardigan had just said it’s not Ezra’s go, that’s it case closed we can all go home now.

I'm sure he's never seen Mam getting on the nose powder before. Probably the first time he's heard of his friend and teammate Mam getting high on drugs. It's so obviously "not his go".

Honestly, any smart player would just say "I'm not going to comment on that" and be done with it. Not many smart players around though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Look, one thing that probably does need to be said is that mental health can absolutely be a trigger for self destructive behaviour or terrible decisions. It may well be an explanation. But using it as an excuse for behaviour that damages or endangers others is gutless (acknowledging that Mam himself hasn't that I'm aware of)

The fact that a bunch of journos decided to make it an excuse for someone else is one of the most unhinged things I've seen the rag media do, and that's saying something. I hope that they get ripped to pieces for it

Canard

Immortal
It’s always an interesting discussion around off field behaviour and how it should be managed by clubs and the NRL.
Off field bad behaviour is nothing new. It’s been around since Messenger’s day. But we now live in a world where ‘image’ has to be managed more than ever, I dunno, probably because it affects the dollars.
I heard Dally was an absolute demon on the piss and loved the disco bikkies.

Scootsie

Juniors
Even if Mam is sacked and deregistered, this could have still ended far worse.

That said, how come when a player f**ks up these days the spin doctors come out to try and make them a victim. If he had made a statement taking ownership and checked himself into rehab then he may have maintained a molecule of respect from the fans.
Check any court case in Australia, there’s character witnesses and usually the mental health card gets a run. It’s a long held strategy of the legal profession to elicit sympathy/understanding for the accused.
Is it time to ditch it - absolutely yes.
As to the responsibility thing, how refreshing it would be to see a bloke, or anyone for that matter, finally say ‘I f**ked up and I shouldn’t have done it’.

Scootsie

Juniors
I'm sure he's never seen Mam getting on the nose powder before. Probably the first time he's heard of his friend and teammate Mam getting high on drugs. It's so obviously "not his go".

Honestly, any smart player would just say "I'm not going to comment on that" and be done with it. Not many smart players around though.

Carrigan and smart are not words to be used together.
He is the David Beckham of the NRL - good looks, some ability…….but as soon as he speaks……….

Iamback

Referee
Is it?
Maybe we should be looking to be more than that.
Imagine an inclusive product, where members of high society and the knuckle-draggers of the world come together as one to watch NRL and both be annoyed at the Channel 9 commentary team.

Doesn't that sound magical?

In this magical world private schools aren't playing Union? Not everyone will be RL fans which is ok

butchmcdick

Post Whore

Scootsie

Juniors
Of course not everyone has to be an NRL fan.
Doesn't mean we should only try to appeal to one demographic though.

I‘m still wondering why League isn’t filling stadiums in Beijing as promised by Ribot.
But seriously, League has very wide appeal, namely because of the very different roles and positions within a team. There’s something for everyone to identify with, whereas in other football team sports the roles, physiques etc pretty much the same.

Latest posts