What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Draw

callmack1

Staff member

Ughhhh I'm so friggin pumped man!! The draw is coming! We're at that time of the year. How bloody exciting?! I for one can't wait. Once the draw is out, we can all really start to look forward to things and plan things. One of my favourite times of the year, this.

Although, I don't exactly like what I'm reading so far. I'm glad all the teams going to Vegas play each other in the first three Rounds but where the hell is our home game?!! Do we really have to wait until Round 4? This will be the second year in a row we've had the first three weeks away, how is that fair? Plus, we haven't had a home game in the first two Rounds since 2020, how is that fair? What's more, the Roosters had their home game against us first in 2023, what happened to swapping it around? Not happy with that.

But nevertheless, very much looking forward to the draw on Monday!!

callmack1

Staff member

Looks like we're in for another tough start to the year, that's not an easy opening five Rounds. But I'm excited by the challenge and it's going to give us a real good indication of the sort of side we have for 2024.

First two home games of the year will be great! The Good Friday game and then playing the Warriors. I'm thinking about maybe coming over for them.

Anzac Day now a triple header: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...ous&mode=premium&v21=GROUPA-Segment-2-NOSCORE

Now this is really exciting!! I almost shed a tear when I read that we're going to be playing on Anzac day. God, that will be something special and it's something that our club deserves. Just imagine getting our first ever win in Melbourne on a special day like that.

Can't wait for the draw release tomorrow!!! Honestly one of my favourite days of the year when the draw comes out! Letsgoooooo!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Looks like we're in for another tough start to the year, that's not an easy opening five Rounds. But I'm excited by the challenge and it's going to give us a real good indication of the sort of side we have for 2024.

First two home games of the year will be great! The Good Friday game and then playing the Warriors. I'm thinking about maybe coming over for them.

Anzac Day now a triple header: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...ous&mode=premium&v21=GROUPA-Segment-2-NOSCORE

Now this is really exciting!! I almost shed a tear when I read that we're going to be playing on Anzac day. God, that will be something special and it's something that our club deserves. Just imagine getting our first ever win in Melbourne on a special day like that.

Can't wait for the draw release tomorrow!!! Honestly one of my favourite days of the year when the draw comes out! Letsgoooooo!!!!!
Not wrong mate I’m excited too kind of feel a bit like I did when I was a kid on XMas Eve the night befire the draw comes out.

Oh mate you know how much I’d love you to come over here how long we’ve spoken about that. I’ll be right there with ya at the games if you come out it would be awesome we would have a blast! I know how vocal and passionate you get just like me too!

callmack1

Staff member
Merry Christmas everyone!! That's how today feels anyway. We get the draw TODAY!!!

Always one of the most exciting days of the year as the new Season takes shape. We can start to look ahead, start to really look forward to things and really properly plan. I'm so friggin keen to see who we play when and where.

God, I couldn't be more excited!! Keen as!

Rabbits20

Immortal

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

The Rabbitohs play the Warriors, Cowboys, Bulldogs and Knights (home), and the Dolphins, Dragons, Raiders and Titans (away) only once each throughout the season.

South Sydney will play 13 matches against teams that made the top eight in 2023, seven of which will be against top four opposition, including blockbuster home games against the 2023 top four Panthers, Broncos, Warriors and Storm, plus themed round home matches against the Bulldogs (Good Friday), Cowboys (Magic Round), Eels (Indigenous Round) and Broncos (Beanie for Brain Cancer Round); plus the most anticipated home game of the year against the Roosters in the final round of the season to decide the 2024 Ron Coote Cup champions. The Rabbitohs will play 11 matches against teams from outside the top eight from last season.

South Sydney will play 16 of the 24 regular season games in the Sydney region including 15 games in Sydney as well as a game in Gosford (home); four in south-east Queensland; and one each in Las Vegas, Melbourne and Canberra. The Rabbitohs will not travel to New Zealand or north Queensland in the 2024 regular season.

The Rabbitohs have 11 games on a Saturday this season including seven games at home, six Thursday night games with only two of those at home, five Friday night matches with three of them at home, and only two Sunday afternoon games which are both away fixtures.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It is what it is. Yes we play Penrith, Broncos and Storm twice.

At least we have 10 home games in Sydney and play 16 games in Sydney. Nowhere near as much travel.

We have only 1 five day turnaround as well which is great.

No Sunday arvo game at home. But we have 5 Saturday games at home great for families, the Good Friday home game and then two Thurs Night home games against Panthers and Storm both blockbusters plus two Thurs Night games both blockbusters against Broncos and Rorters.

Overall not a bad draw could’ve been worse.

Valheru

Coach
It is what it is. Yes we play Penrith, Broncos and Storm twice.

At least we have 10 home games in Sydney and play 16 games in Sydney. Nowhere near as much travel.

We have only 1 five day turnaround as well which is great.

No Sunday arvo game at home. But we have 5 Saturday games at home great for families, the Good Friday home game and then two Thurs Night home games against Panthers and Storm both blockbusters plus two Thurs Night games both blockbusters against Broncos and Rorters.

Overall not a bad draw could’ve been worse.
Both our games against each other are Friday 8PM which is exactly when this fixture should be played

When are you guys going to play home games against us at the SFS so we can get 35k plus every time and a cracking atmosphere instead of that soulless shit hole?

Thumper

Juniors
Both our games against each other are Friday 8PM which is exactly when this fixture should be played

When are you guys going to play home games against us at the SFS so we can get 35k plus every time and a cracking atmosphere instead of that soulless shit hole?
When the government lets us.

callmack1

Staff member

Ooooooo yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I'm away on holiday so have been out doing stuff all day but have been itching to get back to the motel all arvo to come and check our draw. Gotta say, at first glance, I'm liking what I see. I'll still spend a lot of time this evening and over the next few days fully analysing everything, but my initial reaction is that I like it!

Look, we're the South Sydney Rabbitohs, one of the heavyweights and one of the biggest clubs in the game. That means we're basically never going to have an 'easy' draw because we have to play all the other big teams. I know we play a lot of teams that finished in the top eight this year twice so that probably makes it look tougher but honestly, I don't think we can read too much into that. Foz League reads into that a lot for their ratings which is why we've been rated the hardest. But you know what, it shouldn't matter to us. You want to be the best? Beat the best. Enough with the excuses and blaming a tougher draw. It's a challenge and one we need to rise to.

The other thing we need to remember is that we didn't make the Finals in 2023 so everything looks tougher. We're going to be better in 2024 you would think. Well, you would hope, so it's pretty hard to get a read on.

Most other aspects of our draw are fantastic! Basically, the best you could ask for for one of the bigger Sydney clubs and it's certainly one of the better draws we've had in the past few years. The biggest thing is barely leaving NSW compared to recent Seasons. That's friggin huge and I am absolutely stoked about it. Not only for the fans in Sydney, but for the players. Much, much less travel can only be a good thing. I think the amount of travel we had to do in 2023 was a contributing factor to our poor Season so having just 16 out of 24 Regular Season matches outside of Sydney is just massive.

Having a bye a bit earlier in the year is a big plus too, as is having them clustered into the mid part of the Season. That was another reason for the slide this year too I think, especially not having a bye until Round 16 or whatever it was, the boys were so fatigued. Good to get a rest a little earlier this time around. The opportunity cost of that though is that we don't get the bye late in the Season. That is a big negative in 2024's draw. If we want to win the comp, we have to play 13-14 games in a row with no break which is a tough ask. Can be done if we're in a position to manage it and rest players though.

Aside from that, another negative is that we only play the Dogs once. They're one of our biggest rivals and we're two of the most well-supported clubs in the game. To play them just once is a shame, when was the last time that happened??

Just the one 5-day-turnaround is fantastic, as is having lots of Saturday games. Would have been nice to have more Sunday games but it is what it is.

The Origin period is relatively kind to us too so gotta be happy with that. Of course, it depends how we manage it, but on paper it looks okay.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it after the initial first look. It's really exciting to be honest! I'm sure I'll have more comments and thoughts the more I look at it but that's all my thoughts for now.

Rabbits20

Immortal
RABBITOHS (17th *toughest draw)
Games played against
Top eight: 13
Top four: 7
Bottom nine: 11
Bottom four: 5 Who they play twice: Broncos, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Storm, Eels, Panthers, Roosters,
Tigers Analysis: The Rabbitohs have the worst draw in the NRL according to Fox Sports Lab. Like the other three Vegas teams, Souths have to face a tough draw early in the season, taking on the Broncos and Roosters in Rounds 2 and 3. They'll again finish the regular season against the Roosters like they did in 2023. In addition to playing the Tricolours twice, they are slated to face last season's top three finishing teams in the Panthers, Broncos and Storm twice. On the bright side, Jason Demetriou's men will play the back-to-back wooden spooners (Tigers) twice, but they face a huge task to get back into finals

Rabbits20

Immortal
It should also be noted, that on the back of Origin we proceed to play 3 games in 12 days for Rounds 21-23.

I'd argue the Origin effect will run from the Parra game in Round 12 (week before Origin and the first bye - keep your focus), till the end of Round 23 for us.

Not unlike it did this season.

How we deal with those 11 rounds will dictate how well we do in 2024.

That leaves you literally 4 games from the post-season (Rounds 24-27).

It's a grueling draw, even if you ignore the matchups.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member

Thadius

Juniors
Just after having three years of appalling draws with very little to no Sunday football, we get this crap served up once again with a shocking 2024 draw and no Sunday football again.

The Club's line is always the fallback of it's the TV networks who decide the match scheduling and while that is probably the case, I wonder why Souths refuse to argue a strong case when they see sides like Newcastle, Tigers, Saints and of course Cronulla get a plethora of Sunday football.

In return we cop a ton of wretched Thursday & Friday night games.

They must think we're a bunch of frigging owls!