What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

speedster

Juniors
Yeh thats right he wanted to be head coach and defensive coach. Got rid of burgess.

Then got the sack.

Speaking to other first graders they all say that the head coach just makes the final calls but day to day the assistants do alot of the work.

And if you go to souths training sessions Bennet usually stands at the back and the assistant coach does most of it and he just chimes in when he does.
True. But they get the right assistants to push what they want and that starts with peak fitness. I can not ever recall a Wayne Bennett team looking unfit and off the pace from the get go. Bellamy flogs his side the fiercest over summer but he got that from being Wayne's understudy and just took it to warp speed. He also brought in the wrestling coaches which is something Wayne and JD are not as keen on.

handyman2190

Bench
i would love to have seen what the hell JD done in the offseason to produce a team that was so unfit..

If i was souths recruitment team i would have targeted the strength and conditioning coach for Penrith. He would have been our greatest signing and im pretty sure we could have offered double for him to come over.

Ben Gardiner is 1 of the assistants at Penrith when i was at roosters he was the strength and con coach for our first grade squad. He was one mean fella and we hated him so much.. But he wanted to come back to souths and be an assistant JD didnt want him. His now the Samoa head coach.
Well it was documented what they did in the off season they made a doco about it,bike riding ,canoeing, bbqa, fishing, all bullshit stuff organised by demitriou, who was trying to be a good guy, and it proved to be disasterous, he will never get another head coaching gig in sydney

handyman2190

Bench
Yeh thats right he wanted to be head coach and defensive coach. Got rid of burgess.

Then got the sack.

Speaking to other first graders they all say that the head coach just makes the final calls but day to day the assistants do alot of the work.

And if you go to souths training sessions Bennet usually stands at the back and the assistant coach does most of it and he just chimes in when he does.
Yes but the head coach directs the assistant coaches, he then observes

doyen

Bench
Aj should have been released with his last contract.
AJ was re-signed at the end of 2021 because he'd scored 30 tries that season--he scored 30 in 2022 as well--only the second player to achieve that feat for Sths[Les Brennan was the earlier winger to do that]---admittedly he only scored a paltry 21 tries in 2023--he is injured now but will still be our most potent try scorer when he returns---81 tries in 3 seasons is not the return of a struggling player !!!
AJ turns 30 in Jan.25---he needs 18 tries to become the greatest tryscorer of all time in beating Ken Irvine's long-standing record of 212--AJ has 195---if Sths fire well under Bennett he could achieve that next season !!!!

Last edited:

speedster

Juniors
Wayne famously likes to "bank points" in the early part of the season in prep for the rep season. That's been part of his thinking since the days when the Broncos sides contained half or more of the Qld side each season.

So, expect a fit and firing South Sydney to start the new season and a very quick change of fortune that will make 2024 feel like ancient history.

I can't wait.

speedster

Juniors
AJ was re-signed at the end of 2021 because he'd scored 30 tries that season--he scored 30 in 2022 as well--only the second player to achieve that feat for Sths[Les Brennan was the earlier winger to do that]---admittedly he only scored a paltry 21 tries in 2023--he is injured now but will still be our most potent try scorer when he returns---81 tries in 3 seasons is not the return of a struggling player !!!
Even if he has lost a yard or so of pace, his positional sense and ability to handle those bullet passes from Cody and Latrell make him part of a potent left side combo that Wayne will certainly want to see reunited when AJ returns because he knows making opposing defences sweat on our left side threat creates space and opportunity elsewhere in attack. How we lost our lethal left side threat under JD boggles the mind.

doyen

Bench
Even if he has lost a yard or so of pace, his positional sense and ability to handle those bullet passes from Cody and Latrell make him part of a potent left side combo that Wayne will certainly want to see reunited when AJ returns because he knows making opposing defences sweat on our left side threat creates space and opportunity elsewhere in attack. How we lost our lethal left side threat under JD boggles the mind.
He's just a beautiful, naturally talented athlete--he was an excellent cricketer too in high school scoring a double century in a school game !! TBH,I reckon he's one of our most valuable players---it's possible, I suppose though,that his serious injury could be a concern !! If all goes well,though, with his recovery, he could be OK to start with the rest of the team at the season's commencement !!

Last edited: