What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 (W) Origin I - Thu 16 May - QLD 12-22 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD (W) v NSW (W)

• Queensland (W)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • New South Wales (W)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beave

Coach
Just got home from it, great night out.

Manzelmann has to be the 9 for QLD, Destiny Brill is absolutely rubbish as a DH but I think she needs to be there, maybe put her to 13 and Brigginshaw can go retire. She was awful from what I was seeing.

Manzelmann was wasted, NQ bias aside, as soon as she came on you could see the glaring obvious change in attack. She can have a tendency to throw the odd wayward pass but her scoots and speed around the ruck are critical and she is a little terrier in D. She should have been brought on with 15 mins to go in the first half and then subbed out in the 2nd half when needed.

King hit

Coach

Manzelmann has to be the 9 for QLD, Destiny Brill is absolutely rubbish as a DH but I think she needs to be there, maybe put her to 13 and Brigginshaw can go retire. She was awful from what I was seeing.

Manzelmann was wasted, NQ bias aside, as soon as she came on you could see the glaring obvious change in attack. She can have a tendency to throw the odd wayward pass but her scoots and speed around the ruck are critical and she is a little terrier in D. She should have been brought on with 15 mins to go in the first half and then subbed out in the 2nd half when needed.
Was there a big atmosphere? I was watching at a club and they only had the sound at a minimum

Apey

Staff member

Manzelmann was great for us before she left for NQLD. Was disappointed to lose her. She's pretty damn good at that 14 role.

Manzelmann was wasted, NQ bias aside, as soon as she came on you could see the glaring obvious change in attack. She can have a tendency to throw the odd wayward pass but her scoots and speed around the ruck are critical and she is a little terrier in D.
Can be a liability with ruck infringements. Continually on or over the edge of legality, irrespective of tackle count.

Is there a single player, male or female, that knows after being held up, you go back to the 10m line. It seems everytime it happens when not the fifth, the ref has to tell the player to go back further.
England v Tonga 2017 RLWC, took Matt Cecchin about 5 minutes to persuade Elliot Whitehead to go back to the 10m line.

• Haha
Reactions: MRN

beave

Coach
Was there a big atmosphere? I was watching at a club and they only had the sound at a minimum
atmosphere was good, much younger crowd than normal, lots of teens and young 20's females in the crowd. Where i was sitting it would have been 70% females, 30% males.

Quality of footy was pretty good I thought as well, I think its got massive potential next year with better weather. 30k and upwards crowd should honestly be a realistic crowd target. The only issue is the spread of 2-1 home games each year. If it's NSW turn to host 2, you might have to play game one a week or so before the magic round origin in brissy.

The roar when the QLD girls ran out and when Upton scored was awesome, the game has come a long way, i'm 44 and I would never expected the crowd figure and gameplay quality in a million years.

QLD do need to tweak that team though, Brigginshaw is looking a bit past it tbh (sad face).

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Mostly need to get it to a point where this isn't the first proper game of the year. Imagine if Origin was the men's first game. It's unfortunate that the girls are getting their biggest crowds for the year to showcase their game when it's not at its best. All in due time, at least.

beave

Coach
Mostly need to get it to a point where this isn't the first proper game of the year. Imagine if Origin was the men's first game. It's unfortunate that the girls are getting their biggest crowds for the year to showcase their game when it's not at its best. All in due time, at least.
Yeah agreed mate, although the majority of the QLD girls have been playing BMD Cup for a few months but NSW just did a 7 week camp, you would have thought it was the other way around last night judging by the first half.

I think as the NRLW comp expands they might be able to drag the season forward a bit and at least have a couple of club games at the higher level prior to the origin campaign which will only benefit both the players and the spectacle.

I think in all it was a better game than I was expecting considering the lead in.

Yeah agreed mate, although the majority of the QLD girls have been playing BMD Cup for a few months but NSW just did a 7 week camp, you would have thought it was the other way around last night judging by the first half.

I think as the NRLW comp expands they might be able to drag the season forward a bit and at least have a couple of club games at the higher level prior to the origin campaign which will only benefit both the players and the spectacle.

I think in all it was a better game than I was expecting considering the lead in.
Everything about Women's Origin 1 was successful. Crowd, TV ratings, game quality. The team with less match fitness started by far the stronger.

Maybe it's unwise to apply all the beliefs and expectations we derive from men's RL to women's RL?