What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v England at Perth Dec 13-17, 2013

Canard

Immortal
Sounds crazy, but was it a bad decision to bat first?

With England way down on confidence, would it have been better to put them in and pepper them with Notch and Rhino??

Timbo

Staff member
I see no Tugger in him.

Steve Waugh was a 50 ave. batsman with over 30 tons and a rock solid technique. Not sure what part of that Steve Smith resembles.

Look at Steve Waughs career at the same time. Smith is, if anything, ahead.

JJ

Immortal
You just compared a guys finished career to a guy in the early to middle part of his :lol:

yes... and someone else compared Steve Waugh with Steve Smith :lol:

Pretty unlikley that Steve Smith will have a career like that, and once you watch him play, you can be pretty much certain

Timbo

Staff member
First two years of Steve Waughs career:

16 tests, 629 runs @ 29 with no hundreds.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Tugger had similar weaknesses early in his career..

He then put the hook shot away & voilà..

I see Tugger's grittiness in Smith..

JJ

Immortal
First two years of Steve Waughs career:

16 tests, 629 runs @ 29 with no hundreds.

again, so??? First he played a few tests against NZ with Hadlee and the Windies...

I think we should all feel fairly confident in the idea that Smith will not have a career that resembles Waugh, regardless of how Waugh started...

I remember watching him when Hadlee was bitch slapping Australia... he was out of his depth (as Crowe was earlier against Lillee and Thompson) but you could tell he was going to work it out... his technique was rock solid, everyone (even Hadlee) said he was the goods... no such feeling or technique about Smith... he'll likely averag mid-thirties (as will Watson, Bailey and Rogers) until you find someone good

Timbo

Staff member
It's true. I don't ever recall Tugga getting off the mark with a 6.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Tugga's stroke play was limited, he knew his limitations. Smith is a stroke player probably more suited to ODIs as his defence is a problem where as Tugga's defence was suited to test cricket.

Miles apart imo.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
A lot in here have completely missed the point i was making..

The comparison wasn't with their techniques..

They both have got plenty of fight in them..