What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia V. Panikstan, 14 Jan Bellreive Oval

yappy

Bench
The way Haddins going I reckon we'll declare before tea.

How good is Haddin to watch when he's going?

TheParraboy

Staff member
I reckon North will finish on a well compiled 35 not out when we finally declare on 575 or so ....

yappy

Bench
Jinxed Haddo, and Ponting doesn't declare early enough to save North.

Pretty handy ball from Asif first up in a new spell, but North is in a bad place.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Statistics would seem to suggest otherwise.

Statistics will also tell you he is the captain who couldnt defend the highest score in a ODI, and couldnt prevent the highest run chase in a test match after setting the total.

Also statisitcs tell you he was the 1st captain in 100 years to lose back to back ashes in england

He will never go down as the best captain of all time, period.

Statistically look at the percentages, still has a way to go to beat Tugger :D

TheParraboy

Staff member
8/519 dec.

Pakistan need 320 to avoid the follow on

Good batting deck, if they put their collective heads down, they could score 450 plus

skeepe

Immortal
So what you're saying is that you don't actually have an opinion. Statistics tell you what to think. Well, the ones you pay attention to at least.

Interesting.

No, I have an opinion. Luckily the statistics back it up.

I've never really rated Waugh that highly though to be honest. I thought he was too selfish as a captain and hung on too long. Taylor as well made some pretty awful decisions in his time.

Difference is, we tend to remember Ponting's bad decisions more as they're fresher in our minds, and he doesn't have the team of superstars anymore that bailed out both Waugh and Taylor many times.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Difference is, we tend to remember Ponting's bad decisions more as they're fresher in our minds, and he doesn't have the team of superstars anymore that bailed out both Waugh and Taylor many times.

Bullsh*t

Being involved in consecutive away ashes series loses for the 1st time in 100 years, highest ODI score but losing, highest test chase loss are all stats that will pernamently stay on record until its over taken

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
What, like Steve Waugh having a much higher winning percentage than Ponting? Those statistics?

Taylor was not an average captain at all, he was a very good captain and good thinker, although his weakness was the sides slackening off a bit once a series was won, as opposed to the Steve Waugh era when they were just ruthless. There is a reason Taylor was retained during and awful 2-3 years of bad form from him. I think Waugh had a better side around him which helped his record as opposed to Taylor, and Waugh was definately the better player.

JJ

Immortal

no they don't, as others have pointed out...

Ponting is no strategist, he's a poor version of Waugh, who was a great leader but not a great cricket tactician... Taylor clearly the best Australian captain-strategist of recent time...

Pretty obviously the likes of Fleming and perhaps Vaughan have been better captains than Waugh or Ponting

Bazal

Post Whore
Not true...Fleming was a very good tactician but not a good leader IMO, and Vaughan was pretty much terrible. Fleming was probably the equal of Waugh, not better.

All of them were better than Ponting though

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Vaughan wasn't that great a skipper, outhinking someone like Ponting isn't that hard to do. Fleming did an excellent job with what he had.

Latest posts