What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.16 v’s Cowboys

The Realist

Juniors
Upon reflecting on this game, I think the most disappointing thing (besides our senior players generally failing) was that our forwards didn't get on top of theirs enough.

The Cowboys were missing primarily their forwards and ours should have hammered theirs and they really didn't. Spencer was disappointing but I am surprised more people didn't mention Fish. Fish did nothing 'wrong', he had a decent even a somewhat good game - but you don't pay a prop big $$$ to play decent against a weak opposition pack. He should have really stood out but didn't. Not the first time this year either. Are we seeing Fish in decline?

Iamback

Coach
Wasn’t that what the commentator said that Ivan said, or did he say that when being interviewed? If not, then no one actually knows what he said, in what context it was said, nor what his full message to the team was.

We had so many guys playing longer minutes than normal, In the heat of Townsville 8 points was never going to be enough

Iamback

Coach
Upon reflecting on this game, I think the most disappointing thing (besides our senior players generally failing) was that our forwards didn't get on top of theirs enough.

The Cowboys were missing primarily their forwards and ours should have hammered theirs and they really didn't. Spencer was disappointing but I am surprised more people didn't mention Fish. Fish did nothing 'wrong', he had a decent even a somewhat good game - but you don't pay a prop big $$$ to play decent against a weak opposition pack. He should have really stood out but didn't. Not the first time this year either. Are we seeing Fish in decline?

Comes down to a couple of different things.

Look at our bench, There was no impact there.

Henry should only start. He is like Huth offers no impact but is fine in a starting role.

Swapping him and Spencer would of helped. We are 0-3 when Spencer starts as he doesn't have the motor.

Though on that he came back on with 15 to go. Needed to come back earlier.

Goes with that bigger issue of the poor use of the bench.

Sorro was out on his feet. Garner for him.

Kenny actually going off for Luke.

That would of given us a fresher Sorro and Kenny to bring back on in the middle.

Garner played 17 mins as a forward
Henry 25
Spencer 42 - includes extra time

Tired forwards meant less go forward

snickers007

Juniors

Pretty sure Fish is playing injured. I'd be giving him this week off.

I agree with Franklin though, the bigger issue was Spencer starting.

MugaB

Coach
Good omen, lose at Townsville , win the GF.
We have a rematch Rd.27 opportunity at full strength for both teams.
Or hopefully lose with our youngsters, (and give our 1st graders a rest) like we did last year, being way ahead with our points on the ladder.... add that to Ivans tally.... atleast we'll be primed for finals

MugaB

Coach
Spencer is the definition of 'impact player'.

Honestly believe his entire career should be played between the twentieth an sixtieth minutes.

His body type and skillset suggests wrecking ball which should be used after the preparation work for demolition has been completed.
Roosters won't start him either.... not sure he has moved there to gain anything, if anything he has just moved sideways, its like when assistant coaches leave a club to be an assistant elsewhere, instead of being a head coach

BxTom

Bench
Spencer is the definition of 'impact player'.

Honestly believe his entire career should be played between the twentieth an sixtieth minutes.

His body type and skillset suggests wrecking ball which should be used after the preparation work for demolition has been completed.

Spencer needed to park his ego and let his body build up to longer minutes just like the Panther's training staff were doing with him. Leota says hello...

soc123_au

Staff member
Spencer needed to park his ego and let his body build up to longer minutes just like the Panther's training staff were doing with him. Leota says hello...
Pretty much this, I can understand a young Alpha thinking the way he does, but someone needed to advise him better. As you say, The Leota blueprint is pretty impressive. There is no shame being a benchie in the modern game anyway. A bench prop is just as important as a starter, the perfect ones in each position just have a different skill set.

Moses is an outlier, impact and able to do it from minute 1. It's a credit to him how far he has come.

Pretty much this, I can understand a young Alpha thinking the way he does, but someone needed to advise him better. As you say, The Leota blueprint is pretty impressive. There is no shame being a benchie in the modern game anyway. A bench prop is just as important as a starter, the perfect ones in each position just have a different skill set.

Moses is an outlier, impact and able to do it from minute 1. It's a credit to him how far he has come.
Unpopular opinion here, at first I was cranky he was leaving, not anymore. His firey temper could cost a game one day.

Being a starter is about money.

My frustration with the salary cap is that it is pigeon-holing the recruitment departments into putting limits on earnings (similar to what has happened in the NFL). I have said that I think Spencer will be the most impactful prop in in the game and I stand by it, but I also agree with @Munky above that the best way to deliver that impact is in the 40mins either side of half time.

In the modern game that doesn’t get you the big bucks, but if it is helping you win games (which I am sure it does, @Iamback there is hypothesis that we could help either proving or disproving using stats) then surely it is worth just as much as a starting prop that is just providing you commoditised output.