What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

soc123_au

Staff member
Part of the reason that I am starting to get annoyed with Luai is that he strung us along a little bit. Would have been great to know he wants to leave and chase the $$$ earlier so we could have had a chance to retain Cogger.

I also get a feeling that when he finally does leave there will be a few stories about how he was disgruntled with the club. We got a small snippet of that with Critta but once Luai is out, I am sure both of them and maybe even Leniu will have more to say.

It's quite telling that it's the Samoan Brotherhood - the players who we hoped would stick by the club they professed to love, and stick with each other and all the FTA jazz, are the ones leaving.

I am also not absolving the club from some of this. I get the sense that the FTA boys all felt like they were taken for granted to an extent. Critta alluded to this after speaking about his signing with the Dogs, about how he felt management didn't value him and he took the Tago and May deals as a shot against him. In the end he left the club of his mates that he loves - for around 50-100K more per season which isn't a big deal at all.

In saying all of the above though, I am glad we didn't get into a bidding war. Luai is not worth $1.2m for us, even factoring in all the cultural stuff and definitely not his on field performance. I think 2023 was his weakest year by far which was surprising given how good his 2022 was.
He has to know what was on the table before he could make that call. Cogger was already gone before anyone even got the placemats out to set the table, let alone toss some money on there.

maple_69

Bench
The FTA guys all happen to be in non crucial roles. We can’t overspend against those roles and they can make bucketloads and play a bigger role elsewhere. I don’t know why anyone needs to be aggrieved about any of the guys that have moved on. They did our club proud and handled themselves very professionally on the way out. Cogger was never more than a stopgap and why should Luai make a call before he has been able to field offers from other clubs and understand his options?

Kilkenny

Coach
Part of the reason that I am starting to get annoyed with Luai is that he strung us along a little bit. Would have been great to know he wants to leave and chase the $$$ earlier so we could have had a chance to retain Cogger.

I also get a feeling that when he finally does leave there will be a few stories about how he was disgruntled with the club. We got a small snippet of that with Critta but once Luai is out, I am sure both of them and maybe even Leniu will have more to say.

It's quite telling that it's the Samoan Brotherhood - the players who we hoped would stick by the club they professed to love, and stick with each other and all the FTA jazz, are the ones leaving.

I am also not absolving the club from some of this. I get the sense that the FTA boys all felt like they were taken for granted to an extent. Critta alluded to this after speaking about his signing with the Dogs, about how he felt management didn't value him and he took the Tago and May deals as a shot against him. In the end he left the club of his mates that he loves - for around 50-100K more per season which isn't a big deal at all.

In saying all of the above though, I am glad we didn't get into a bidding war. Luai is not worth $1.2m for us, even factoring in all the cultural stuff and definitely not his on field performance. I think 2023 was his weakest year by far which was surprising given how good his 2022 was.
I’m well and truly over it.

I differ from most in that I would not be adverse to him being granted the early release to whomever he decides to go to.

I just think we could put his money to better use and get other players equally important resigned.

He has been a fine player for us and I’m sure he would give his all in 2024 if he stays, but I just think we could be just as good without him with the added bonus we can use his money towards players who want to stay.

Goonji

Juniors
we are a victim of our own success. Luai is a casualty. Blame the NRL who make the rules. Luai is not going outside the rules, just exploiting the NRLs poor management of the game overall.

The Realist

Juniors
We got a better backup half than Cogger in Schnieder imo

I'd have loved to have Cogger play 6 for us along with Cleary. Someone who could swap in and out of 1st and 2nd receiver along with Cleary and who could also lead the team when Cleary is play Rep footy or is injured.

Schnieder has potential, but we have no idea if he will perform with us or suits our system. Cogger had runs on the board. He was essentially 75%-80% of Cleary for 20% of the cost.

In terms of a 5/8 I just want one who is very direct and square. Teams figured Luai out a little in 2023 and his 'evasiveness' became a weakness at times as we became very disjointed. It is hard for players to run lines when the 5/8 stops, jinks, turns around, back tracks etc. Opposition just had to hang back a little a present a decent line then the ball tended to die with him.

By jingo I hope and pray that the Dogs pull off a huge coup and get Luai because that opens up the possibility of us getting our hands back on Burton who I think is the better of the two and is also far more versatile.

The Realist

Juniors
I’m well and truly over it.

I differ from most in that I would not be adverse to him being granted the early release to whomever he decides to go to.

I just think we could put his money to better use and get other players equally important resigned.

He has been a fine player for us and I’m sure he would give his all in 2024 if he stays, but I just think we could be just as good without him with the added bonus we can use his money towards players who want to stay.

I am starting to think the same. I'd swap him for Burton in a heartbeat. Sorry Romey, you were one of my very favourite players, but you have essentially forsaken us.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'd have loved to have Cogger play 6 for us along with Cleary. Someone who could swap in and out of 1st and 2nd receiver along with Cleary and who could also lead the team when Cleary is play Rep footy or is injured.

Schnieder has potential, but we have no idea if he will perform with us or suits our system. Cogger had runs on the board. He was essentially 75%-80% of Cleary for 20% of the cost.

In terms of a 5/8 I just want one who is very direct and square. Teams figured Luai out a little in 2023 and his 'evasiveness' became a weakness at times as we became very disjointed. It is hard for players to run lines when the 5/8 stops, jinks, turns around, back tracks etc. Opposition just had to hang back a little a present a decent line then the ball tended to die with him.

By jingo I hope and pray that the Dogs pull off a huge coup and get Luai because that opens up the possibility of us getting our hands back on Burton who I think is the better of the two and is also far more versatile.
I’m not sure bringing Burton back really is the answer.

Personally, I would prefer to have faith in what we have within.

I know Matt Burton has struggled as a consequence of an underperforming Bulldogs side but I dont think him coming back here is the way to go.

maple_69

Bench
On topic I would be really interested in seeing a spine of Iongi, Laurie, Cole, Schneider and Sommerton on the bench for the first half a year in cup. Give Cole some time working on his kicking game and first receiver, Schneider in at dummy half and Sommo into the impact bench role he could fill in grade second half of the year.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Cogger was terrible at every club before he got here and we sorted him out real quick

Chins get the wins

First Grade
How do you figure that?

Schnider couldn’t cut it at the Raiders?

I like him, happy to have him, but he’s not amazing
Ricky is a top 10 halfback of all time and yet the worst halves coach I've ever seen (over a long coaching career)

Cogger failed everywhere before he landed here and Schneider looks to have him covered in every physical attribute. I think he'll do real well here

Kilkenny

Coach
It is not uncommon to have argument amongst ourselves which is surprising given four consecutive grand finals, three consecutive wins. I’m not sure why that is, but it is a rather sad fact.

This Luai situation really seems to be dividing fans unnecessarily. Like others before him, he is taking the money on offer, which is hardly surprising, given the ridiculous deal on offer from the WT and perhaps the Bulldogs.

We really should let him leave early, the developments in recent days is a circus, it has to be destabilising to the playing group . We've got any number of players busting there guts in pre season training in oppressive conditions on money a fraction on what Jerome is on now and he needs a break from training to deal with his feelings.

This circus needs to end, we should withdraw what ever offer we made to Jerome and move forward. Release him early and put faith in the players we have who I’m confident can do the same job at far less cost.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
On topic I would be really interested in seeing a spine of Iongi, Laurie, Cole, Schneider and Sommerton on the bench for the first half a year in cup. Give Cole some time working on his kicking game and first receiver, Schneider in at dummy half and Sommo into the impact bench role he could fill in grade second half of the year.
That’s an excellent Cup Spine that I can assure you is already being spoken about.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
It is not uncommon to have argument amongst ourselves which is surprising given four consecutive grand finals, three consecutive wins. I’m not sure why that is, but it is a rather sad fact.

This Luai situation really seems to be dividing fans unnecessarily. Like others before him, he is taking the money on offer, which is hardly surprising, given the ridiculous deal on offer from the WT and perhaps the Bulldogs.

We really should let him leave early, the developments in recent days is a circus, it has to be destabilising to the playing group . We've got any number of players busting there guts in pre season training in oppressive conditions on money a fraction on what Jerome is on now and he needs a break from training to deal with his feelings.

This circus needs to end, we should withdraw what ever offer we made to Jerome and move forward. Release him early and put faith in the players we have who I’m confident can do the same job at far less cost.
I like the fact we should release him, but that would cause a chain of events of others to go early. I can't see May or now even Tago wanted to re-sign.

I can't wait for the season to start, 100 days or so to go.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Always love your posts even when we don't agree but this talk of a "circus" or "destabilising the club" all goes away if you just ignore the media and this 3 year run we are on is all about our club ignoring the merkins.

Kilkenny

Coach
I like the fact we should release him, but that would cause a chain of events of others to go early. I can't see May or now even Tago wanted to re-sign.

I can't wait for the season to start, 100 days or so to go.
We have lost an entire top 30 squad of players since 2020.

Salary cap or otherwise it is what it is.

Unlike other major losses, in recent times, Api, Kikau, Lenui, Crichton the list is endless but we were prepared for such losses and they in some instances were known in advance of the negotiation period.

I don’t recall any of our our player losses being such as circus as this one.

It has the potential to destabilise the playing group and on that basis alone it warrants consideration to let him go early. I don’t see Jerome’s being released early automatically impacting the decision of other players.

We have lost an entire top 30 squad of players since 2020.

Salary cap or otherwise it is what it is.

Unlike other major losses, in recent times, Api, Kikau, Lenui, Crichton the list is endless but we were prepared for such losses and they in some instances were known in advance of the negotiation period.

I don’t recall any of our our player losses being such as circus as this one.

It has the potential to destabilise the playing group and on that basis alone it warrants consideration to let him go early. I don’t see Jerome’s being released early automatically impacting the decision of other players.
This feel exactly like last year with Critta; will he, won’t he. It was the same range of emotions; for no wish he would stay, okay he is not staying but understandable what he is doing to he is being disrespectful. There were a number on here who wanted Critta dropped a few games in because his head wasn’t in the right place.

The year before that the Kiks announcement was made just before the fan day to celebrate our first premiership in close to 20 years; there was then the photos on Kiks in a dogs shirt leaked.

Its an unfortunate part of the rugby league calendar; where drama is invented to keep us relevant over a long off-season.