What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Test: Austalia vs England at SCG Jan 3-7 2011

chefman21

Juniors
We persisted with Watson who performed worse with the bat, and he is now a better player for it.

We persist with Hughes and he too will become a better batsmen who scores consistently better in the not too distant future.

It's the now now now generation...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
btw - I'm not a fan of any state in the cricket. I'm just an advocate of giving our younger players more of an opportunity to prove themselves than the older ones, because simply put, they will be in the team in the future and they will be the players we rely upon. May as well get them in there and accustomed to the pressures of test cricket as early as possible. Sure there will be disappointments, but persistence generally pays off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gee there is some ridiculous Hughes love on here. Yep it was a good ball. But now he has failed in 6 digs. If that was anyone else they had brought in they would be getting an absolute bollocking on here

as a fan I dont get all the Hughes hate

we have just been through a very successful period where we are used to winning everything and our opener were basically Hayden and Langer who never cemented thier spot till they were about 30

Hughes achieved what they never did, centuries for Australia when he was 20, they weren't even playing for Australia when they were 20

he's done it for Australia and his state at a very young age, again something they couldn't do

I agree he is out of form, but anyone would think he single handedly lost the ashes on his own when in fact everyone, except Huss and Haddn, have been sh*t

Haters just gotta hate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'm just trying to bring a little bit of objectivity to it because with the NSW love in here there isn't much objectivity at all.

:lol:

you sheep molesters hate anything Australian and always go for whoever we play against

don't talk bullsh*t

Big Pete

Referee
That was a good ball to Hughes, no doubt but Hughes was looking like s**t from the very start.

Still, I honestly don't know if we have anyone capable of filling that role - it's a case of beggers can't be choosers.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't hate on him, I've said before I can see going on to be a reasonable Test opener I just find it funny how different it would be on here if he played for another state for example.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't hate on him, I've said before I can see going on to be a reasonable Test opener I just find it funny how different it would be on here if he played for another state for example.

you've been objective,

I wasn't directing the hate at yourself

beads6

First Grade

It is a fair call but NSW dominates the forum so NSW love will always shine through. Half of me thinks we need to persist with Hughes because he is a talent and looks every bit the cricketer but the other half thinks he needs to sort out what he wants to do with his technique and make some runs in the shield before another recall.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Maddinson is not ready so stop bringing his name up, hes had 1 or 2 good innings at First class cricket he needs 2 more seasons under his belt

you stick with hughes until after next summer.... if we lose the series so be it but after atleast another 15 innings we can judge where he is at

And for the jinx damn clarke is looking good today

but it is time to finish with Smith for a while... keep him in the one day side but not the tests... next test match

1. Hughes
2. Watson
3. Khawaja
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Copeland
10. Bollinger
11. Beer/Hauritz/ any other Spinner in Australia

12th man Cutting
13th and 14th men Starc And Hazlewood ( Get these men around the team to get used to it and learn)

When Ponting retires after next summer, move watson to 6 and bring in Marsh to open

Last edited:

Latest posts