What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Test: Austalia vs England at SCG Jan 3-7 2011

chefman21

Juniors
Maddinson is not ready so stop bringing his name up, hes had 1 or 2 good innings at First class cricket he needs 2 more seasons under his belt

Exactly. Test cricket is not the place to develop the basics. The guy has only just come out of the local competition ffs. Give him a chance to develop. He'll play regular Test cricket - but only if he develops into the player he has the potential to be. The worst possible thing we could do is rush him into the side and then lose him forever because we didn't let him develop properly. It's a hard blow to take going from number one to almost the bottom, but it was going to come sooner or later. We can't try for quick fixes. The problems run deep in Australian cricket and it's going to take patience and hard work to get it back.

Last edited:
Dropping a player is not always a bad thing. I doubt many players have not been dropped.

BUT

And this is a big but ...

But those calling Hughes crap here is something to ponder to show the power of persistence and patience:

Did you call Steve Waugh crap after he averaged 27 after his first 20 tests?
Did you call Glenn McGrath crap after he averaged 43 after his 8th test?
Did you call Malcom Marshall crap after he averaged 49 after his first 6 tests or 39 after his first 8 tests?
Did you call Richard Hadlee crap with an average of 41 after his 8th test?
Did you call Curtley Ambrose crap after he averaged 40 after his 5th test?
Did you bash the great Jacques Kallis after he averaged 29 after his first 19 tests?

Let me repeat that. The guy I think is the best cricketer of our generation, Jacques Kallis, didn't get his batting average above 30 until his 20th test.

Did you bash Michael Holding after his first series (which was in Australia) when his bowling average was 61?

Sangakkara averaged 33 after his first 8 tests. Crap?
Warne bowling average was 50 after 8 tests. Crap?
Watson averaged 19 after his first 8 tests. Crap?
Hayden averaged 29 after his first 14 tests. Crap?

Did you bash the great Sir Gary Sobers after he averaged 29 after his first 13 tests?

Viv Richards only averaged 30 after his first 11 tests. He must be crap. Right???

Waqar Younis had a bowling average of 46 after his first 6 tests, including a series in Australia. Did you think he was crap?

Bradman only averaged 78 after his first 6 tests. Utter Crap. Huh?? But I bet some of you would have called him carp after his first test when he only scored 19 runs in the two innings.

The moral of this story: Selector patience and persistence in players is almost a MUST! Imagine the careers we would never have to got to enjoy if not so ....

Last edited:
Yeah definitely....

What have you said that is objective?

"Surely there's someone better"
"He's not good"
"Imagine if he played for Victoria"

One minute you say he's overrated the next you're saying Hughes should be in the team instead of Katich then you're back saying he's crap. You're not being objective just talking sh*t. Same with Smith, nothing objective just sh*t so don't claim you're being impartial.

HevyDevy

Coach
Anyone suggesting Maddinson should be rushed into the Test side should be banned from commenting on ANY cricket forum.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
16 more runs for this partnership to be australia's highest scoring combo for the test so far.

Johnson and Hilfenhaus had 76

so far there has been at least a 50 run partnership for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th wicket partnerships from in this test alone.

pretty amazing feat really.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well that f**ked that record haha

still, i think Khawaja had a pretty impressive debut with the bat, he looks the goods, solid defence, great temprement, patient.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
210 for Hussey will see him surpass cooks total for the series.

Carn Huss.

bazza

Immortal
well that f**ked that record haha

still, i think Khawaja had a pretty impressive debut with the bat, he looks the goods, solid defence, great temprement, patient.

It shows how desperate Australia are when a batsmen who looked good but only managed 50 odd runs in 2 innings is our big hope

beads6

First Grade
I don't understand how the poms have this ball reversing yet the Aussies can't bowl reverse swing? WTF

Danish

Referee
The hatred for Watson on here is ridiculous.

How can you say Clarke deserves his spot more than Watson? You wanna talk about past glories!

Purely because I think he is our only choice at captain. He at the very least set some decent fields, our bowlers were simply incapable to bowl to a plan.

His batting is terrible though.

Watson on the other hand has proven throughout this entire series he is incapable of occupying the crease and doing the job of an opener. On top of which his running between the wickets is nothing short of tailender quality, darting out like a scared bunny.

I'd be happy to drop him down to 6 and bowl him more overs, but I doubt he would want to make that move and would fall back into the rut of failures he had when down the order.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well Khawaja is out now. 37 and 21, should never play tests again. What a failure.

Brad Hodge would have got 886.

Nathan Hauritz would have got 476 and 10 for 22.

Watson should bat 1,2,3,4, and 6 and bowl 38 overs per innings - he is just that good.

Khawaja is from NSW so he will burn in hell.

Watson was run out by Phil Hughes' technique.

And Michael Clarke is a twat he rooted Bingle - unforgivable.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
What have you said that is objective?

"Surely there's someone better"
"He's not good"
"Imagine if he played for Victoria"

One minute you say he's overrated the next you're saying Hughes should be in the team instead of Katich then you're back saying he's crap. You're not being objective just talking sh*t. Same with Smith, nothing objective just sh*t so don't claim you're being impartial.

For starters I can't remember saying he should be in the team ahead of Katich(and if I did then must have been an age thing) the whole time I've along I've said he has been overated and that he doesn't look great. I've always said he will probably turn out to be a reasonable Test opener with an average of around high 30's/40. The objectivity part is that saying that a lot of people defend him and praise him over the top just because he is from NSW. I don't have any affinty to and Aus state side obvisouly, I'm just saying if you want to rate him as a player imagine he was the Victoria opener and I bet there would not be so much love around him.

Oh and having a differing opinion on players means I'm talking sh*t? Whatever man I can't really be bothered discussing Cricket with people like you El Diablo though because everything you say is clouded with some lame ass insult or something. At least there is a few other reasonable aussie posters in here.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that was a pretty crap shot from Oozi, he didn't have to play at that but it does highlight one thing to me

both Breznan and Anderson were bowling wide of the crease when they got Oozi and Hughes to nick both those balls, obviously bowling to a plan.

When these two left handers are facing the right arm bowlers they are not adjusting their stance. You learn as a kid that if you are in that situation, you open your stance so that when the bat comes down for the defensive shot, you show the face of the bat to the bowler. in both cases the batsmen were hitting across the line of the ball, with no adjustment they may as well have been facing a left arm over the wicket bowler.

That is pretty basic stuff and what's ironic about the whole situation is that our batting coach is a left hander.

You cant tell me at that level these guys dont know this basic batting principals.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Well Khawaja is out now. 37 and 21, should never play tests again. What a failure.

Watson should bat 1,2,3,4, and 6 and bowl 38 overs per innings - he is just that good.

Haha mate I think it's a little rich playing that kinda card when non-NSW players cop an absolute battering on here.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

and not only that, the sky is falling :crazy:

For starters I can't remember saying he should be in the team ahead of Katich(and if I did then must have been an age thing) the whole time I've along I've said he has been overated and that he doesn't look great. I've always said he will probably turn out to be a reasonable Test opener with an average of around high 30's/40. The objectivity part is that saying that a lot of people defend him and praise him over the top just because he is from NSW. I don't have any affinty to and Aus state side obvisouly, I'm just saying if you want to rate him as a player imagine he was the Victoria opener and I bet there would not be so much love around him.

Oh and having a differing opinion on players means I'm talking sh*t? Whatever man I can't really be bothered discussing Cricket with people like you El Diablo though because everything you say is clouded with some lame ass insult or something. At least there is a few other reasonable aussie posters in here.

No differing opinion isn't talking sh*t just saying "he isn't good" is talking sh*t. I don't care to discuss cricket or anything with you either there's nothing worse than seeing a kiwi saying "Hughes/Smith is sh*t" when your team is one of the worst in all forms of cricket.

Latest posts