What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

russ13

First Grade
Which NRL game are you talking about?

The Charity Shield Match.

http://www.astra.org.au/content/pdf/MediaReleases/ASTRA-Ratings-for-Week-080224.pdf
LIVE: RUGBY LEAGUE: CHARITY SHIELD Fox Sports 3 Sat 19:30 218 218 549 1,437
2 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE GRAND FINAL C'COAST V NEWC Fox Sports 1 Sun 17:00 195 195 499 988
3 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 H'LANDERS V W'TAH Fox Sports 2 Sat 17:30 185 185 412 1,140
4 LIVE: CRICKET: THE ALLAN BORDER MEDAL Fox Sports 1 Tue 20:30 152 152 396 1,185
5 LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION Lifestyle Wed 19:34 128 158 439 1,128
6 LIVE: AFL: NAB CUP SF#2 ADE V HAWT Fox Sports 1 Sat 19:00 124 124 409 1,387
7 RELOCATION RELOCATION Lifestyle Wed 20:31 123 159 434 1,101
8 FAMILY GUY FOX8 Tue 18:46 115 147 972 853
9 LIVE: RUGBY UNION: S14 BRUMBIES V REDS Fox Sports 2 Sat 19:30 114 114 372 1,445
10 FUTURAMA FOX8 Tue 18:21 112 175 1,039 810
11 GOSSIP GIRL FOX8 Tue 20:31 108 152 507 1,229
12 LAW & ORDER W Mon 21:27 104 125 721 1,067
13 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A-LEAGUE POST GAME SHOW Fox Sports 1 Sun 19:08 101 101 269 978
14 THE SIMPSONS FOX8 Wed 19:10 101 139 1,787 977
15 AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL FOX8 Tue 19:37 99 163 470 1,073
16 LAW & ORDER: SVU TV1 Sat 22:15 96 115 1,095 1,103​
17 BARGAIN HUNT Lifestyle

BTW the A-League went head-to head with an India v Ausralia one-dayer on FTA TV. That game rated about 1.8 miilion nation-wide.

Knightmare

Coach
No doubt. But does anyone remember 6 years ago when Brisbane struggled to draw 20k? When they were the only team in a City of 1.6 million and a region of about 2.5m?

Plenty of excuses for those numbers, so I don't see why Sydney RL shouldn't be able to have excuses for their low numbers.

But......but QE2 Stadium was such a bad stadium to watch footy at and......and it was so hard to get to with public transport and everything, I'm honest!

Excuses are only valid when Queenslanders make them. That's one thing living up here for 3 years has taught me.

Mong

Post Whore
thanks your ignorance is exactly what im trying to show.

Ignorance? Your trying to say that the NRL Test will have a bigger audience then the Football WC qualifier.. Now that's ignaorance...

great choice of user name, quite appropriate.

Wow you got me there..:roll:

What is it with the rugby league people? I am a fan of both codes but can see how much the A League has taken off and am aware of crowd figures for the A League closing in on NRL crowds already. All i can assume is that League people are starting to get concerned.

As i said originally, it will be an interesting read to compare crowd figures between the games.

Mong

Post Whore
Because in all likelyhood the WC qualifying games will only be shown on Pay TV.

I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. EPL games are only on Pay TV here but you can get the likes of the champions league on SBS still.

In-goal

Bench
What will the crowd be for the test, the match is live into Melbourne this weekend for those that don't know.

Mut

Juniors
The peasants running the game have no idea... They are getting caught up on nostalgia, not the marketability of the game. No one wants t watch rugby leafue at the SCG. Its crap...

The best stadia is ANZ in Brisbane. No one will watch an average NZ side get flogged by 20 there let alone at an 100 year old venue not designed to watch football...

NRL needs more John Singleton in muts opinion.

Woooooo! mut is God...

things are looking a little better , according to Geoff Carr on 2ue this morning 17000 tickets have now been sold.

add the members + walk up to this the game still could get 30K.

still not good enough , but not terrible either.

Hanscholo

Bench
Nobody is interested because:

1. People in Sydney have better things to do, including watching it on TV.
2. We flogged them last time, GB flogged them, nobody is interested in a one sided game.
3. We are drowning in RL. There are a couple of matches on every week that are just as high quality as the test, SOO coming up. Some people go to everything but in Sydney with so many other things to do people dont go to 2 games a week.
4. Its hard to get to Moore Park.

If there was some genuine interest in the game then im sure more would go. I think the NRL should stick to promoting the local game tbh. There just isnt enough support for the game to fill so many stadiums every week.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Although i love rugby league and i love the NRL there are too many NRL games at the moment, how do they expect big crowds in Sydney every weekend for NRL matches then put two origin matches, a mid year test match and 5 bloody world cup games on or whatever it is.

If they want big crowds, cut the NRL down to 22 rounds and put this game on a stand alone weekend so no NRL teams play and that is the only unofficial bye they have through the year because no NRL will be played. Play it after the state of origin aswell.

Even look at the AFL they are successfull with crowd attendance and they only have 22 rounds and pretty much no rep games at all.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Queenslanders will always return with the same arguments about how we don't deserve the amount of footy we get. Put it this way - if QLD was saturated with the amount of games we get and the amount of teams over a long period of time, the lethargy would eventually creep in as it has here.

Having said that crowd figures are better and continue to be better than ever before, save for the International games which, while they are increasing, aren't as they should be - full houses for EVERY game. It's disappointing but until the profile of International RL is lifted it's not going to happen. Friday's game appears more as an exhibition match than anything, a friendly if you will - rather than a fully fledged test match.

Azkatro

First Grade
Queenslanders will always return with the same arguments about how we don't deserve the amount of footy we get. Put it this way - if QLD was saturated with the amount of games we get and the amount of teams over a long period of time, the lethargy would eventually creep in as it has here.

Having said that crowd figures are better and continue to be better than ever before, save for the International games which, while they are increasing, aren't as they should be - full houses for EVERY game. It's disappointing but until the profile of International RL is lifted it's not going to happen. Friday's game appears more as an exhibition match than anything, a friendly if you will - rather than a fully fledged test match.
Before I go ahead and say this I should make very clear that this is not speaking for everybody. But the common theme I seem to be finding is that Sydneysiders are extremely fussy about what events they will go to (it costs too much, parking is too hard, my favourite player isn't playing, it's going to be a thrashing, the weather's not perfect etc etc), while others - not just Queenslanders, but I feel Newcastle should be included in this as well - love any opportunity just to see top class footy, even if it is one-sided.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Before I go ahead and say this I should make very clear that this is not speaking for everybody. But the common theme I seem to be finding is that Sydneysiders are extremely fussy about what events they will go to (it costs too much, parking is too hard, my favourite player isn't playing, it's going to be a thrashing, the weather's not perfect etc etc), while others - not just Queenslanders, but I feel Newcastle should be included in this as well - love any opportunity just to see top class footy, even if it is one-sided.

The thing is in QLD the NRL is an "event".

In Sydney there are probably two games a weekend every weekend of the NRL on average here so it cant be considered an event really.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
So sick of all the excuses,

There are soccer fans in england this month who will fly from Manchester to Moscow in their 10's of thousands to watch their team play, they will pay $1000's in airfares and ticket prices.

And we are all here whining about how its so hard to get to the scg or its $5 for a beer,

Give me a freakin break, think back to all the enjoyment RL has given you, shouldn't you re-pay this by attending a land mark game.

Latest posts