What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Azkatro

First Grade
The thing is in QLD the NRL is an "event".

In Sydney there are probably two games a weekend every weekend of the NRL on average here so it cant be considered an event really.
Even then though, you look at Townsville and how consistent the crowds there are. And even when they had the Kangaroos play Papua New Guinea in 2000, which was a one-sided 82-0 thrashing, there were 21000 people watching.

t-ba

Post Whore
Even then though, you look at Townsville and how consistent the crowds there are. And even when they had the Kangaroos play Papua New Guinea in 2000, which was a one-sided 82-0 thrashing, there were 21000 people watching.

How many times have the Kangaroos played in Townsville?

Brycey

Juniors
Ignorance? Your trying to say that the NRL Test will have a bigger audience then the Football WC qualifier.. Now that's ignaorance...

Wow you got me there..:roll:

What is it with the rugby league people? I am a fan of both codes but can see how much the A League has taken off and am aware of crowd figures for the A League closing in on NRL crowds already. All i can assume is that League people are starting to get concerned.

As i said originally, it will be an interesting read to compare crowd figures between the games.
Don't associate Dally with the rest of us.

Azkatro

First Grade
How many times have the Kangaroos played in Townsville?
Only once, but that's the thing - why can't Internationals be played out of Sydney more often in future? Sydney locals are saying there is too much footy here, and clearly there isn't enough elsewhere. Obviously this being a Centenary Test is different, but I guess things are going that way given the World Cup final this year is to be held in Brisbane.

t-ba

Post Whore
Only once, but that's the thing - why can't Internationals be played out of Sydney more often in future? Sydney locals are saying there is too much footy here, and clearly there isn't enough elsewhere. Obviously this being a Centenary Test is different, but I guess things are going that way given the World Cup final this year is to be held in Brisbane.

It's only fair that Sydney gets this Test. Frankly, they can get f**ked after this though. Starve them of it as the quality shoots through the roof and then bring it back when you're guaranteed a crowd.

Tom Ace

Bench
how the f**k do AFL stadiums get like full houses every game?

Nothing better to do down there.:p

Plus they really don't have any competition against AFL. Melbourne is growing but AFL has 10+ (?) years extra in Sydney.

If Union didn't exist i'd say a lot more people would get out to watch League. Melbourne/AFL doesn't have this problem.

Ignorance? Your trying to say that the NRL Test will have a bigger audience then the Football WC qualifier.. Now that's ignaorance...

Wow you got me there..:roll:

What is it with the rugby league people? I am a fan of both codes but can see how much the A League has taken off and am aware of crowd figures for the A League closing in on NRL crowds already. All i can assume is that League people are starting to get concerned.

As i said originally, it will be an interesting read to compare crowd figures between the games.

ignorance was not knowing what the ratings of A-league soccer is when commenting about that topic, eh mong?

as long as the grand final of the sport gets less than a trial game of RL, the sport is limited.

and if it were a popular australian footy code, it would be played in winter, not hiding away in summer.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Good question! AFL is no cheaper to attend, the stadiums are not necessarily any better and the product is arguable worse!

The old chestnut of "nothing to do, their Victorians, they'll watch anything blah blah blah" is BS and just excuses to explain away why we can get large viewing figures on TV but can't get Sydney and Canberra couch potatoes from out of their armchairs and into stadium seats.

In my city of 1.7million we have three sports teams all drawing 25-40,000, I've no idea why Sydney people don't like to go to the RL?

azzah72

Bench
I'm a Sydney sider and i was appalled that i could buy tickets to the centenary, front row center last night, 6 of them no less.

There is really only one logical reason why Sydney people don't go to game's and I include my self on some occasions with this, as soon as it gets cold in Sydney, we can't be farcked! Prefer to watch it at home.

It is as simple as that, Sydney siders do not have a high commitment to seeing their teams live let alone go to a test or something.

It's just laziness and it f**king ordinary. Thats not everyone but everyone is guilty of it at some point or another.

Sharks fans are some of the worst, if there not going too crash hot and it is even a little bit cold, you'll be lucky to get 8000-10000, yet go to the RSL or northies or something and it's packed with people watching it.

I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and AFL is like religion, if you don't go to the game but don't have anything really important on, your condemned by any fan of the same team that finds out, theres a commitment to support the teams and make sure there their to cheer them on.

Qld is the same for RL, Brisbane get great numbers and so do Nrth Qld, Sydney siders just can't be f**ked, simple as that.

We'll probably get 20,000 on friday, but the place holds close to 40000 so its still pretty crap, if we are lucky the weather will be good and all those types that wont do anything unless it is perfect to their desired conditions might head in, and people who work in the city might decide to drop in after work impromptu. Should of been sold out weeks ago but.

And this is world cup year...

shear_joy9

Coach

AFL is better to watch live, than on tv.

Rugby league is whilst better to watch live, is still very good to watch on tv.

Plus I think AFL club members feel more part of their club and still turn out to games even though their team isn't performing.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
sydney is the most expensive coutry in australia to live in. this means petrol prices and interest rate hit our families the hardest. people simply cant afford a night at the footy. it too bloody expensive

mark123

Juniors
You can read this all over lunch or something. Some very valid and interesting notions.

T-BA said:

____ "A 15k HOME average was managed once in those two decade, with the Bulldogs scraping in at 15k in 1975.

Those figures are inflated by match of the round. Match of the round wasn't sustainable as Sydney's Urban Sprawl occured and transport links failed to grow with it. There are structural forces at work that didn't exist in a place like Melbourne, which could keep a centralised club base and had decent transport out to the suburbs, or Brisbane, which has grown at a time that has allowed it to learn from the mistakes of Sydney. As Homebush shows, it's simply not practical anymore. Which is a shame, because if Sydney had been built better, Ground consolidation probably would have occurred by now.

Pokie Money also helped. Why play a game at the SCG when you can get a big portion of the 5000 punters turning up to your home games having a whirl on the machines after a home match? Frankly, Pokies are just about the worst thing that happened to Rugby League.

HOME crowds are the best they've ever been, and have improved drastically over the last 25 years. There's no reasons to suggest this will not continue." ___________

I talk about a culture and the points raised in what T-BA said are exactly what I am on about. Those points and others. You see, human beings are human beings! Well der Mark123, I hear you say, but listen closer ---> if you can do it with one bunch of humans, you can very well do it with another. You just need to push the same internal buttons.

Rugby League needs to change its methods and BUILD these things up over the years. I think the growth in RL crowds are largely due to inflationary effects (i.e just as population grows without external help). We really havnt seen a giant increase in crowds like an explosion which happened to the broncos. Ofcourse they averaged 40K+ early on, but by the end of ANZ they were down to 20K. Went from 20K to 35K this year over 5 years.

This is a cultural explosion. Not an inflationary one. You will see in this example when the attending population exploded averages went from 20K, to 25, to 27, to 30 to 35ish. The population loved rugby league, but were being kept away because of stadium issues. But they didnt immediately all return. It took time to build up.

And the fact that a slow increase occurred showed that you can't just plonk a stadium down and expect everyone to want to come and join in the party. A habit needed to be formed, and the habit's influence rubbed off on other people.

Humans are creatures of habit. And are influenced by what everyone is doing around them. As more people get interested in rugby league and attend and support, this brings even more people toward the game who will eventually attend and support. Right up to saturation point.

And this is what people must understand. If you have a goal of increasing crowds, and you can work toward it actively and make decisions and take actions that support that end, your crowds will grow. Remember what I said at the start of this post? If you can do it with one bunch of people, you can do it with another: you just need to flick on the internal switches. Humans are creatures of habit and they are influenced.

People are used to a certain level of comfort: give it to them.

People are used to a certain level of ease: give it to them

People are used to a reasonable price that meets the value they have in their eyes: give it to them

Keep flicking those switches.

Right now, all the watch me on tv switches are being flicked by tv stations, etc, who promote the game.

Lets flick some attending switches.

You see, league will always have lower than what would be proportionately normal in sydney because the city doesn't flick the right switches in people in regards to attending.

No doubt few people's needs are being met in rugby league still. The admin is to blame. They got it wrong. Thats ok. But lets move toward getting it right.

Two things are certain. the no contest view people have of this test is keeping them away. And the stadium chosen.

Could league shoot itself more in the foot?

RL needs a massive restructure in sydney and in general. In the next 10 years methods must change. We must begin to see it happen or consign league to the mediocre sports pile. Other sports and competitions will offer so much more.

Items like reduction of rounds, increase of international games,

rl stadia upgrades, main stadiums used repositioning, transport upgrades, transport incorporated tickets.

less teams in sydney (by 2 perhaps)

better tv deal, nationwide,

perth team, 2nd nz team. the two most ideal and greatest contributing new teams possible.

membership increase and a general attendance-culture being created by the media, clubs, and fans alike. Then give it time for the influence to spread to all crevices of the league world.

Imagine if Rl was able to harness the forces surrounding the game and use them re-work the canvas of sydney, the competition, and its fans' culture, and create an environment whereby crowds grew in "explosion-like" proportions for the game as a whole. Imagine is RL could permeate society on a level such as the AFL has in melbourne, grid iron in the USA, or soccer across the globe (except Australia and a select few other countries). Is it not time to move toward a system in league that WORKED better?

If we can define what needs to be done, then why can't it be done? We have the means, we just need to will. This is sport, and its just sport, but its a big part of our lives, and its our money that runs the city, and in due time, we want the city to support our game and us in attending it, keeping our clubs alive (does a govt that ruins poker money sound like it "loves" league to you; a separate issue being that we needed to reduce reliance on poker money)?

If we keep doing the same stuff, we will still have hopeless test crowds, and clubs crowds, so if we want different we must do different, and we know what needs to be done.

Hass

Juniors
To all those questioning the timing of this Test:

Generally I agree that a Test Match at this time of the year is stupid. Either play it on ANZAC Day itself (and I mean the 25th of April - not the Friday closest to it) or play it later in the season.

But...

This match is being held 100 years to the day that Australia played its very first test. It was played next door at the Showground and New Zealand won 11-10.

It generally makes sense to celebrate your anniversary on your anniversary.

We'll probably get 20,000 on friday, but the place holds close to 40000 so its still pretty crap, if we are lucky the weather will be good and all those types that wont do anything unless it is perfect to their desired conditions might head in, and people who work in the city might decide to drop in after work impromptu. Should of been sold out weeks ago but.

And this is world cup year...

more than 18K tickets have now been sold. Add in members and fruther ticket sales and i think its fair to say we may actually now crack 30K for this game.