What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 tackle try - NQ dudded again!

Hutty1986

Immortal
Robbed.
The Cowboys weren't robbed.
A game can't be taken away from you in the 7th minute.
Sure it can me made more difficult, but not taken away.
Robbed is being denied a legitimate penalty 10m out from the opposition try line during golden point. Only to see the penalty incorrectly awarded to the opposition cos the ref didn't know the rule, and said opposition potting a field goal 20 secs later. That was rnd1 against the tigers last year.
Robbed is scoring what should've been the match winning try with a minute to go and the opposition attempting a short kickoff to have it go out after only traveling 8m and the touchie 40m away saying it went 10. The scrum being awarded to the opposition and then them scoring after the siren sounds to snatch victory. That was against the Panthers last year.
Sharks cop the rough end of the stick more often than not. We get the worthless apology from the refs boss and told it all balances out, what goes around comes around, etc.
My personal favorite is "The good teams overcome referee stuff ups" old chestnut.

Well like Gallen said in the post game interview, it's about time we had some luck go out way for once.

That's true. Gal was well, well well overdue a win over some of these qld merkins!

I tried to allude to this earlier, however nobody seemed to pick up on it.

The referee made an error at the start of the infamous set.

Robert Lui knocked on in his attempt to kick the ball. He connected after the ball had hit the ground. The referee SHOULD have made that first tackle as tackle Zero. Had he done that it would have been a correct tackle count.

I'm not sure there are to many calls these refs get right

dice

Juniors
Reminds me of the absolute shocker in the broncos/roosters clash last year where broncos player ran away to score without playing the ball. Remind me who the referee was for that game? The NRL will never learn...

fizman

Bench
Let's talk about daylight savings......

What do the good folk of Queensland have to say about this?

BDR

First Grade
It really is amazing how people think it is as simple as taking 6 points off the Sharks and assuming the game plays out the exact same way for the following 70+ minutes, and the game ends 18-14 to the Cowboys.

There is so little logic to it and yet so many people buy into this 'robbed' garbage, it's staggering.

You are right, but there was absolutely nothing in the game. An undeserved 6 point boost is pretty big considering how evenly matched the game was on the whole. I guess that is where the argument comes from.

Personally I think we should still have won it, we were the better team but for a few little mis-steps that let them back into it from 18-12. Although I sympathise a lot with the players (especially Matt Bowen) at the end of the day if we fancied ourselves as premiership contenders we should have overcome.

Canard

Immortal
Sharks have nothing to apologize for, some of there fans playing the "victim" doesn't help either

bottle

Coach
I tried to allude to this earlier, however nobody seemed to pick up on it.

The referee made an error at the start of the infamous set.

Robert Lui knocked on in his attempt to kick the ball. He connected after the ball had hit the ground. The referee SHOULD have made that first tackle as tackle Zero. Had he done that it would have been a correct tackle count.

I'm not sure there are to many calls these refs get right

That's not a knock on under the rules. I know it sounds silly, but it isn't a knock on.
As long as the intention was to kick the ball, then any connection with the leg below the knee after the ball hits the ground is deemed to be a legitimate kick.

Same interpretation was applied to a Bunji kick against Saints in their 2011 semi. A try to the Tiges resulted. Video ref reviewed, and even though the ball obviously had hit the ground it was deemed a legitimate kick.

True story.

Season vet

Juniors
What about the NRL declares the game a dawn match and the winner is the team with most points from there games played against each other this year??

wibble

Bench
Wow, 24 pages and counting, on one dud decision (and I'm adding to it).

All fans know the frustration of a decision that goes against them. It is even worse when your team just loses, and of course much worse, when it is a knock out final.

But in terms of impact, the bad decision was really no worse than an incorrect penalty on tackle 1 (maybe with a quick tap allowed). In general, a late tackle penalty, or a decision that changes possession (strip penalty rather than knock on or vice versa), or a decision that is incorrect in the tackle that leads to a try (e.g. a blatant forward pass for a try, like we got against Canberra last week), is much harder to defend against.

I felt the Cowboys were very lucky with a lot of decisions that had a bigger impact, except they weren't able to score at the end of them. The Sharks also basically handed two tries to the Cowboys (one with a few lucky bounces as well), so it is hard to say the Cowboys were easily better (though I believe the Sharks were comfortably better and comfortably worse at their best and worst in that game).

Additionally, we can not know what would have happened if the tackles were counted correctly, as pointed out by many posters here. It is more likely a team won't score in a set than they will, but we certainly had momentum that set in the first 5 tackles, and were a long way down field anyway. We may have scored, may have forced repeat sets that broke the Cowboys, or may have thrown an intercept (as we did later) that broke our spirits. If you replay everything else precisely, with Tagatese somehow kicking the ball back (but taking 2 minutes to do so) to recreate a kick off and everyone else running back to position from the kick off that came from that try, then the Cowboys would have won. But both teams would have played very odd football for the given scores (it seems more likely the Sharks would have been throwing it around like they did from 60 to 70 minutes, rather than shutting shop like they did from 70 + minutes and Cowboys would not have thrown it around in the last 10 like they did, if the Cowboys really were in front at the end).

But I do see why Cowboys fans are upset, particularly as allowing a 7 tackle set was so obviously wrong (unlike some of the decisions I was upset with, that were certainly less clear cut). And it doesn't help that they had a tough decision against them a year before (though as a try scoring decision I thought it was a tougher one for the Cowboys than a 7 tackle count).

Believe me, Sharks fans know the pain of missing out on winning the premiership, and if it helps you to death ride us, then feel free (we still do with Manly, decades later), though in the unlikely event our injury depleted team actually does win, you should be glad you "technically" beat the premiers. We could even petition for you to be given the premiership instead ;-)

Actually, the thing that is most missing from all of this, is that it was quite a good game. The Cowboys had a brilliant run at the end of the year, and played their hearts out in this game, went in missing their key hooker, and even when they looked down and out with a few seconds left and the whole field to traverse, they almost snatched a win (missed by a few centimetres).

The Sharks have had a very tough year, were also behind near the end, had some key injuries in the game, and found a way to snatch a lead right near the end, and defend it (just).

Both teams should be very proud of their efforts, and despite what has been said about the "top 4" I think any of the top 4 would have been worried to play a full strength Cowboys or Sharks side showing that much commitment.

croney

Juniors
Checcin has been always been a dud referee, he has serious complex issues. Peranara goes alright. The cockheads in the box should have alerted them to the fact it was a 7th tackle try, and packed a scrum. The problem is deep rooted though and how these clowns officiate needs to be reviewed and revamped. The scrums are a joke, as is the policing of the rucks. Even with 2 refs the wrestling still goes on and is destroying games. The 10m is a farce, and the constant milking and delaying tactics are clearly being coached. The refs entertaining whinging captains following every disputed call has also dented their credibility. Gallen and Ennis are specials and it is clearly a tactic to slow the game. The refs need to cut out the chit chat as it is clear too many personalities are involved. Refer to players by number and put them in the bin using the card system for repeated back chat. They will soon learn they cannot keep challenging the refs. The NRL need to act to restore some credibility as this inept officiating is tarnishing the game.

coolumsharkie

Referee
From the Sharks website:

weird facts about the sharks and cowboys game We scored in the 7th minute, with 7 tackles, with Beau Ryan scoring his 7th try of the season, Feki scored his 7th try of the season with 7 minutes left to win the game, we stopped Cowboys from winning 7 in a row. It just wasnt your day Cowboys, the lucky number 7 was on our side.

Knock On

Juniors
Thurston is right.

There is no national in National Rugby League.

Grubby League run by Sydneysiders for Sydneysiders.

Knock On

Juniors
Thurston should be Australian of the Year. Talk about immortals. Thurston is better than all of them put together.