What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player/s past or present that you thought deserved more wraps

nqcowboy87

Bench
i just want to add a couple more
chris flannery-would play anywhere from fullback tosecond row and although he wouldnt be the worlds best would give it his all
david myles- i really dont know why we let him go could play anywhere between 1 and 6 could play lock if you asked him to magnificent player
and agree with the el masri comments why he hasnt made origin ever is beyond me
i also think dave furner should have had a more extensive rep resume seeing footage of him slipping through tackles and scoring like nothing was riveting

anjado

Juniors
Current players
Wade McKinnon the most improved player in the game
Aaron Payne the cowboys look much better with him on the park
Frank Puletua although he used to be awful now he has been excellent the past 2 seasons
past players
Peter Kelly despite being one of the most fear and respected forwards of the 80's he did'nt make his origin debut until 89 never played for australia

Mario Fenech I know people rate him but he only ever got to play origin 3 times also in the 89 series and never got to play for australia
Paul Clarke an integrel part of the panthers early 90's side
Craig Innes Thought he was a much better player then Terry Hill
Col Van Der Voort Tireless worker was always excellent for Penrith just kept getting bad knee injuries though

and of course Otis Gibson he killed it in the 95/96 Benson and Hedges series

Mal Meninga

Bench
Payne has improved leaps and bounds and is an explosive hooker who carves up the ruck area. Should be what Lincoln Withers is, but he has become dreadful recently.

It has to be said that on his day I couldn't find a more exciting player to watch than Brett mullins.

sydraider

First Grade
jamesgould said:
When Brad Drew played for Penrith I didn't think he got enough wraps.

Then he went to Parramatta and got the recognition he deserved.

Then he went to Canberra and became one of the worst players in the NRL.

Ahhhhhhh The Elliot effect!

Chanda Rubin

2003-07-19-fedcup.jpg

Chanda Rubin paved the golden path for African American Tennis Players around the world. However she was vey injury prone once tearing a hamstring in the warm up against Arancha Sanchez Avacado in the Ugandan Open. Was once apporached by the Cuban Badminton Assosiation for a dramatic code switch which dramatically soured relations between Chanda and Tennis America.

Casey Donovan

Casey.jpg

The Australian Idol Hero threw her considerable weight around when crowned champion. Balancing her surging singing career and regular gigs at Marickville RSL, Casey has been playing with ambition in Front Row for the Blacktown Swamp Rats in the Over 170 KG Women's league.

griff

Bench
Call me crazy, but I reckon Dean Schifilliti. Injuries and moving around a lot with the SL war probably hampered him a bit.

Also agree with Andrew Leeds, a great player.

Also hardly a little known player but another player that deserved more wraps was Ricky Stuart - a far better player than Daley or Langer but got way less wraps.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Luke Phillips.

Awesome, whole-hearted player. Played with injuries that would have most on a stretcher. Tough as nails and the best defensive FB since the days of Belcher/Jack and before them Eadie. Ran the ball back like Martin Lang, too.

Definately a Roosters legend who has some career highlights that match some of the great Freddy Fittler's at the Roosters. From his best on ground performance in the 00 GF...without him that day we would have lost by 40, to his miracle tackle on Sean Rudder the game before and also his amazing gutsy chase to beat Franics Meli to the ball on the stroke of H/T in the 02 GF. Saved a certain try on pure guts...oh and when he was being stapled up on national tv in a Friday night game vs the Eels. One of the staples didnt go in properly and had to be pulled out...but Luke didnt flinch. (urg, i dont like that word...it sounds too much like Finch)

Luke DIAMOND Phillips. LEGEND!! And very underrated.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Oh and another one from that great Roosters team...Simon Bonetti. Another tough bastard who did everything and mroe without being flashy. Made 40 tackles in a half vs the Knights once and threw up on the field. What a gem Farmboy was.

If only we had those two (Bons and Phillips) in the 03 and 04 GF's.