What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player/s past or present that you thought deserved more wraps

Balmain_Boy

woodgers said:
Growing up as a young fella I enjoyed watching David Riolo from the Steelers. He was pretty safe from memory and hit the line hard with the ball. Manoa Thompson could turn it on for Souths back when they were o.k, he was explosive.

Nowadays I agree with El Masri, he does all the little things right and rarely makes a mistake. I like seeing players who play the percentages, Folkes must love having him around. I also don't reckon Whatiera at the Tigers gets enough credit for his all round game. Defensivly he is great and he has really come on with his skills and positioning under Sheens.

:lol:

When I first read the topic title I instantly thought of David Riolo, simply because I remember hearing "Riolo away for the Steelers" as a young bloke. Good to see I'm not the only fan.

RABK

Referee
Justin Dooley.
Harvey Howard.
Andrew Leeds.
And a bloke with the last name of Bell who played for the magpies in the 90's. He was a centre from memory. Dooley had the worst pair of hands ever seen on a player, but when he caught the ball he made good metres.

I saw a fair bit of the pies as my stepdad was a big magpie supporter. Players who wearn't superstars but were very good players in a bad side.

Bumble

First Grade
Todd Polglase and Luke Stuart are 2 Souths players who don't get enough wraps.

Fitzgibbon (pre-2002) was very underrated too.

strewth_mate

Bench
Halligan probably deserves more credit outside of his goalkicking. Compensated for his lack of speed with clever defense.
Agree with the mention of Nikau too. Also from Melbourne the combination of Tony Martin and Marcus Bai was pretty entertaining a few years ago.

Bumble

First Grade
aids said:
Luke Stuart isn't a bad player, Rigon has hs moments as well

Luke doesn't get enough wraps from Souths fans either...most people just remeber Ben Walker's field goal as the winning play against the Roosters, but in the 80th minute Luke chased Ryan Cross down and pulled off a beaut cover tackle to save the game.

He was a centre for Cronulla in 2001 before coming to Souths, and he is deceptively fast.

jamesgould

Juniors
When Brad Drew played for Penrith I didn't think he got enough wraps.

Then he went to Parramatta and got the recognition he deserved.

Then he went to Canberra and became one of the worst players in the NRL.

stoodamire

Juniors
Harold Bishop said:
Matthew Ridge, IMO one of the best technical fullbacks ever.
He could tackle, kick goals, score tries and set up tries. He was as safe as a Bank.

A f**king Men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best fullback and favourite player of all time to me......

nqboy

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
:lol:

When I first read the topic title I instantly thought of David Riolo, simply because I remember hearing "Riolo away for the Steelers" as a young bloke. Good to see I'm not the only fan.
Riolo for sure. Neil Piccinelli as well. And I agree with Harvey Howard.

Ant

Juniors
Yeah I agree with Riolo as well, very good player.

A guy in similar ilk who was a good little player was Rod Maybon.

Peter Johnston, eels, steelers and souths prop in the 90s, one of the hardest hitters in the game and gave solid go forward as well.

For the eels in that poor period between 88 and 97, I also thought Danny Crancovich (bad spelling) was a solid player. Also Michael Ericson was a decent winger.

I agree with Scott Mahon, he started off pretty average, but then became quite good.

innsaneink

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
Justin Dooley.
Harvey Howard.
Andrew Leeds.
And a bloke with the last name of Bell who played for the magpies in the 90's. He was a centre from memory. Dooley had the worst pair of hands ever seen on a player, but when he caught the ball he made good metres.

I saw a fair bit of the pies as my stepdad was a big magpie supporter. Players who wearn't superstars but were very good players in a bad side.

Mark Bell, from canberra...winger. Great finisher.

woodgers

Bench
He was o.k at best. He might have been a superstar at Wests but wasn't a world beater in those Raiders backlines of the early 90's. I wasn't a big fan of Bell but mainly because he was ridiculously arrogant, he was in good company with Ricky anyway.

Stranger

Coach
Billy Peden.

Hardly recignised by any non-Knights fans, But He was a deacent player in his day, look at the 2001 GF for Example. Allways did his work, made the hard yards, did the tackles.

Ive always been under the Impression that Civoniceva was under-rated. Especially because he has always played 2nd fiddle to Webke.

woodgers

Bench
Totally agree on Peden Stranger. He did the grunt work that is required. You can have your Johns, Gidley's , O'Davis, but you need players like Peden. Him and Kennedy worked well together.

Ant

Juniors
I agree with Peden too, good player always did the job for the knights, if he had a bit more size he would have been a rep player.

Knights had a few underated backrowers, Glanville and Marquet also spring to mind. I think Glanville put that awesome hit on Craig Field, that was amazing.

Bumble

First Grade
Ant said:
I think Glanville put that awesome hit on Craig Field, that was amazing.

Haha, that's all I remember about that guy.

One of the greatest hits in history.

Ian Russel, Graham Lyons, Dennis Moran, David Brooks, Papworth

Mark Stimson was also a gun until he lost his toes and had his career abruptly ended by cheap shot merchant Alex Chan...his missing toes didn't help him either!

Nick Graham (During his years with the Sharks)

Latest posts