What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Action must be taken to stop the AFL killing league

Perth Red

Post Whore
and damaging the sport in the process. Perception is everything and if the public, media and companies keep hearing how AFL is taking over Sydney then it isn't hard to see where it leads to. Thats two people associated with the Panthers that have brought the game into disrepute recently by talking up the AFL in Western Sydney.

He should have borrowed this pic from the Tele.

Quality.

Pick the bloke who hadn't played AFL before this pic was taken....

640541-gws.jpg

bobmar28

Bench
Western Sydney Cup

Four teams: Panthers, Bulldogs, Eels & Tigers
All play each other home & away during the NRL season
12 games spread from March to August
Have the last round (with 2 games) played in Round 23
Promote it like hell under that banner
Drive up the rivalries
Have a massive fan day at Blacktown
Use it to drive up memberships

I like it.

Bulldog Force

Referee
League isn't in any danger Gus... honestly you're trying to make it sound like you're fighting a battle and trying to become some sort of hero. Just relax already, league isn't going anywhere!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Buffalo Rules on LU writes:

Quote:
There is some idiot bagging out Billy Slater because he couldnt fist the ball as well as some AFL player in some contest on Victorian TV....

Like him or not, Slater is one of the best athletes of any sport running around the country, and certainly is superior to any athlete playing kick & giggle..
The hilarious bit is that in that competition, when it came to the rugby passes, the AFL player nailed two through the centre target and Slater couldn't even get one.

At his own game. Not one. He actually looked a decent handball though. Perhaps the first stage of ANOTHER rugby league 'star' coming over to the more athletic, more interesting, genuinely Australian game?

LOL.

Best athlete. Ha.

:lol:

docbrown

Coach
This idea (or something like it) is such a no brainer that I refuse to believe the NRL aren't working on something like it as we speak.

We suggested something similar last year, with the main difference being you'd play the 'Western Sydney Cup' over three consecutive weeks with the 'final' being a double header at homebush: http://www.footyfootyfooty.com/2010/07/new-section-plus-western-sydney-cup.html

Well there you go, hopefully the NRL sees the light.

I think we need to have all Western Sydney teams play each other twice no matter - I think that needs to happen with all rivalry games.

Re: Western Sydney Cup - I see what you're getting at with the condensing of the format. I was thinking that 1 round a month would get people's attention and maximise people's attention.

Perhaps though it could go:

Late March - Week 1 - 2 games on same weekend to kickstart it with membership drives

April - Week 2 - 2 games on same weekend

May - Week 3 & 4 - 2 games over 2 weeks unaffected from Origin

June - Week 5 & 6 - 2 games over 2 weeks unaffected from Origin

July after Origin ends - Week 7 - 2 games on same weekend to build up again, fan days etc

Early August - Week 8 - Final 2 games on same weekend

BuffaloRules

Coach
Im hoping that Slothfield runs an "exclusive" on the Western Sydney Cup idea in the next couple of days, claiming it was his idea of course...

betcats

Referee
I don't get it, they're infiltrating and they can try all they want....but at the end of the day, the people in this part of Australia grew up with RL, not AFL, therefore they're not going to have the same view of it.
They keep forcing it down our throats, it isn't going to make people watch it....they'd have had a far better chance being less aggressive.

I foresee the AFL looking like morons several years down the track not only for wasting money on areas that just don't like AFL but for ignoring their own heartland clubs (quite a few who are poor).

What the f**k do u think they are trying to change? They arent trying to make AFL dominant now, they are trying to establish themselves for future domination.

In 10-15 years when all these auskick kids have grown up do you really think the attitude will still be the same towards AFL?

Some of you seem to think because the AFL isnt doing to well in Western Syd now that they never will, thats very stupid. Of course they arent doing well now, they wouldnt have expected too, but with patience and the resources they have they will eventually start making some noise.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL has problems seeing past the end of thE season (look at the farce of the RLIF for further evidence), of course they can't see where things might be in 20 years!

I also have to say that the AFL is very cleverly forcing the NRL to turn its focus inside, by threatening a media perceived weak NRL heartland the NRL will spend attention and resources "fighting" the AFL threat instead of taking the fight to the AFL in its heartlands and reaping the rewards a national code brings. Its very clever by the AFL and looking at recent comments re delaying expansion and shoring up the existing clubs is working a treat.

Imagine of the NRL was the one coming out on the front foot and announcing $millions for jnr RL development in schools in Victoria and WA as well as a new WA NRL team and massive RL development programmes in SA, NT and Tasmania. Instead all we are hearing is how we need to spend money in Western Sydney.

Last edited:

Gippsy

Bench
What the f**k do u think they are trying to change? They arent trying to make AFL dominant now, they are trying to establish themselves for future domination.

In 10-15 years when all these auskick kids have grown up do you really think the attitude will still be the same towards AFL?

Some of you seem to think because the AFL isnt doing to well in Western Syd now that they never will, thats very stupid. Of course they arent doing well now, they wouldnt have expected too, but with patience and the resources they have they will eventually start making some noise.

This is spot on. They have already stated it is not this generation they are looking to convert. They will pour money into schools & auskick, and try and convince mummy that poor little Johhny might get hurt playing that rough old rugby game. They couldn't give a stuff about todays league fans, but watch them go to work on the kids and their mums.

The problem they will have though is the amount of money and the number of years they will need to pour into the new teams, as well as what they will need to prop up their struggling Melbourne teams.

If the IC get their act together, and firstly get a TV deal comparable to the AFL so that, moneywise, they're on an equal footing, I believe we will see a reversal of fortune for both codes over the next 5-10 years.

The tactic of expanding in areas that want to be involved in the game has to be a lot more appealling than expanding in areas where they are not wanted.

That would be a fairly sensible post if the Swans didn't exist and they hadn't been plugging AFL unmercifully for 30 years in Sydney.

They didn't just start sticking posts up on Cricket ovals when no AFL was being played this year. That's been going on for 20 years. They didn't start Auskick this year and they didn't start counting kids who've been to one clinic as AFL juniors this year either.

They're misguided in almost everything they're doing in Sydney and it will hurt them financially like they've never been hurt before.

That would be a fairly sensible post if the Swans didn't exist and they hadn't been plugging AFL unmercifully for 30 years in Sydney.

They didn't just start sticking posts up on Cricket ovals when no AFL was being played this year. That's been going on for 20 years. They didn't start Auskick this year and they didn't start counting kids who've been to one clinic as AFL juniors this year either.

They're misguided in almost everything they're doing in Sydney and it will hurt them financially like they've never been hurt before.

I remember they had an AusKick day at my primary school, maybe in 1996 or 1997. Kids participated and all we did was muck around because it was a free trip to the park to go wild. No kid in my grade went on to play VFL despite the numerous the local team advertised with banners along the fence or came out to the school to inform us of registration.

Also, in 1996 the Swans came out to my school. People back then didn't care. Besides the Lowes boys they were the only sports team to come out to my school whilst I was there and kids just didn't care and kids today just don't care.

Billythekid

First Grade

They have been trying this for 30 years in Sydney and still no one watches it.

Latest posts