What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Action must be taken to stop the AFL killing league

Billythekid

First Grade
I didnt mean to make it sound like I was preaching doom and gloom, but I think their is a lot more the NRL could be doing.

As you said the AFL has been doing it with the Swans for a long time and now they have atleast doubled their efforts in Sydney. Just the fact that they thought an AFL team is Western Sydney is viable is worrying to me becuase im pretty sure that 30 years ago GWS would have had no chance in hell.

How much of a success will it be though? For a start we already know they are going to be terrible on the field which surely won't help.

Will they create new fans or just take fans away from the swans?

We have no idea if this team is actually going to be a success.

betcats

Referee
How much of a success will it be though? For a start we already know they are going to be terrible on the field which surely won't help.

I cannot really answer those questions but my guess would be that GWS will not be very succesful in terms of crowds and performances for years. But the fact that they are even there is a sign of progress for the AFL and in itself a success.

Patorick

Staff member
I'm surprised Gould lasted at the meeting so long.

Who do you think squealed to Rothfield?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No matter how small their share of the market is is western Sydney the NRL should be trying to make it smaller.

Out of interest what do you think the NRL should be doing that they aren't? And how much of it has been the responsibility/neglect from the NSWRL/ARL?
My understanding is that the jnr leagues and teams are very well funded in the WS area, there is a WS academy with significant funding for development officers etc that has an SGB/HM team and NRL teams regularly do work with schools etc in the area. What more would you like to see done?

I cannot really answer those questions but my guess would be that GWS will not be very succesful in terms of crowds and performances for years. But the fact that they are even there is a sign of progress for the AFL and in itself a success.

What a stupid post.

Sticking a team in an area that wants one about as much as it wants the plague is a success?

In which dimension?

LESStar58

Referee
Thats odd, according to their TV deal, they are already the No. 1 code! We know that in 1994, and in the recovery years after Traitor League, Leage became No. 1. In that time, AFL went from being a televised sport to 3 obscure cities on the Southern Ocean, to national rammed-down-the-throat FTA - with manufactured premierships to Sydney and Brisbane, money poured into schools to plonk their 4 sticks on ovals, and therefore making them unused. Meanwhile the ugly siamese twin of the NRL lurched on from balls up to disaster and somehow winds up more watched than AFL has ever been, with more places wanting to join. The latter gas got AFL extremely sh*tty, because it's only hope of expansion is to shove 2 Frankenstein teams in places than want/need an AFL side as much as a Siberian brothel needs an air conditioner.

As for obliterating RL - go for it. RL survived the worst that the British monarchy ad the aristocratic class, Nazi Germany and News Ltd could throw at it. AFL - pfft. It's like a tackler bringing down Webcke, Boyd and Cleal, and then being threatened with a hitup from Roy Bell.

Gus, Sheedy thanks you for the free press btw. F*ck off back to the east you pansy and stay there.

This.

LESStar58

Referee
He should have borrowed this pic from the Tele.

Quality.

Pick the bloke who hadn't played AFL before this pic was taken....

640541-gws.jpg

Have a look at old mate chicken legs second from Sheedy's left! What an athlete! :lol:

VictoryFC

Bench
The most annoying thing about this article is that its just fuel for all the trolls (not only on these forums, but in the media and beyond). If it held any truth, that would be another matter, but it doesn't. How does Gould figure that sprouting off nonsense will help the game? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that AFL will become anything other than a passing interest in the region.

eozsmiles

Bench

I doubt they will be success off the field. On the field they are a much better chance. They get something like 10 of the top 20 draft picks 2 years in a row and at least an extra $1million in the salary cap for 5 years.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Have a look at old mate chicken legs second from Sheedy's left! What an athlete! :lol:

Strange presentation with a bunch of tall skinny kids with gay hairstyles.
It's like some government clone of rent boys.

That ain't sport just plain weird esp with that old perv smiling away.

Where's the short stocky players plus it proves AFL is against fat kids.

franklin2323

Immortal
Perth Red, There is plenty. School visit's, shopping Centre, players attending junior games. NRL wide kids free entry covered by the NRL.

There's 4 examples atm it's left to each club to do it on their own. All teams should do it collectively. I don't care if it makes more kids in Penrith go for other teams as long as they love League. Then it's a success.

FTR GWS will crash and burn we van speed it up with action

Loudstrat

Coach
?? No idea mate, whats your point?
My point - to counter your point that the Giants are not looking at this generation for fans, but the next. I dont know of a team in any comp that waits for 20 years for it's fans to turn up.

Broncos did.

Lions and swans after SL both did.
Broncos in 1993 - 5 years after their birth in 1988 - averaged 43200. That figure has never been doubled. I dunno about the Swans and Lions, but I highly doubt it.

Gws already has 9,500 members, the panthers have 5,000.interesting.
Yes, interesting because a GWS membership costs $50. Also, they include people who gave a $50 pledge for their ACT4GWS campaign as members. That was also at the start of the season too.

Conversely, Penrith membership for the last 6 home games was $100, 3 home games $80. Cannot find out what annual membership is worth.

You can work out the realism of that comparison.

POPEYE

Coach
I've never been to see a game of AFL live . . . they tell me it's the only way to watch it.

My father-in-law, may he rest in peace, said that in league you watch where the ball is and in AFL you watch where it should be.

Just over the mountains and not impossible to get a seat like a Swan's game used to be . . . might go have a look.

I've never been to see a game of AFL live . . . they tell me it's the only way to watch it.

My father-in-law, may he rest in peace, said that in league you watch where the ball is and in AFL you watch where it should be.

Just over the mountains and not impossible to get a seat like a Swan's game used to be . . . might go have a look.

You should, you really should.

Actually, you should commit now to being an AFL fan for the rest of your days.

Go on, piss off.

Latest posts