What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Action must be taken to stop the AFL killing league

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Crikey . . . no need to be nasty to a sensitive old man. There's room for AFL as well as us atheists

I'm with you POPEYE. Bellamy should be rewarded for his work at Melbourne, not spit roasted on a fire of broken avenues. It's one thing to mourn stupidity....it's another thing to kill it.

betcats

Referee
Out of interest what do you think the NRL should be doing that they aren't? And how much of it has been the responsibility/neglect from the NSWRL/ARL?
My understanding is that the jnr leagues and teams are very well funded in the WS area, there is a WS academy with significant funding for development officers etc that has an SGB/HM team and NRL teams regularly do work with schools etc in the area. What more would you like to see done?

Honestly i may have got a bit carried away yesterday. Off the top of my head...

The work with schools should be organised by the NRL with players and former players taking stuff for the kids to have even if its just a little footy. They should be trying to flood the shools with as much rugby league as possible.

I also think the next few seasons the 4 WS teams should definately play each other twice each season with all the games played at the suburban grounds when possible (the WS cup idea looks good).

They could do things like have all of the clubs have a competition where they get young fans to write a small essay about their favourite rugby league memory(or anything) and the best one wins a family pass to the footy, then clubs send in each of their winners and the best of those wins a grandfinal pass or some box seats.

Crikey . . . no need to be nasty to a sensitive old man. There's room for AFL as well as us atheists

Well, hopefully you've one foot in the grave so we can look forward to a lack of your nonsense in the near future.

Try to do it soon though, think of all the people that will be happy to read your obituary.

AFL needs you, GWS needs you, it's un-Australian not to sign up immediately. f**king dorks who feel the need to re-invent themselves over and over again give me the shits. Hurry up and die you old turd.
Go on, off you go, forget Rugby League, it's not for you.

POPEYE

Coach
Not sure all the doomsayers are really thinking about the kids. I lived in Blacktown most of my life and there were always kids hanging around the streets. I'm told it's a lot worse now.

Can't see AFL seriously threatening League ever and if some of those kids, especially the tall lanky African refugees, want to play a sport then AFL might be their game.

The population is fast outstripping vacancies in League sides and anything to keep kids who are at loose ends on the straight and narrow is ok in my books . . . even AFL.

docbrown

Coach
and anything to keep kids who are at loose ends on the straight and narrow is ok in my books . . . even AFL.

The best thing for kids to do is to play team sports but unfortunately AFL doesn't require enough skill to qualify. :lol:

I want my children to learn how to actually catch a ball - not how to scratch and claw and fumble around on the ground, shoving people in the back.

And my son aspires to play for the Kangaroos. The best he can get in the AFL is some stupid flag and a meat pie.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.penrithstar.com.au/news/local/sport/general/geyer-slams-lack-of-respect/2254410.aspx

Geyer slams 'lack of respect'
BY KYLIE STEVENS
10 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM
PENRITH Panthers legend Mark Geyer has promised to run naked on GWS Giants' oval if rugby league isn't still the number one sport in western Sydney in five years.

The media personality has slammed the new club and the AFL for showing a lack of respect to the heartland of league, where more than a century of tradition exists.

GWS dominated headlines in the last week, coming under fire from within its own code over the Phil Davis controversy.

MG has no problem with AFL being offered as another option to youngsters but believes the code is going about its marketing approach the wrong way.

"There's definitely a place for AFL," the former Whalan boy told the Star.

"What got me offside is the way they took a superstar of our game (Israel Folau) and turned him into a poster boy for GWS.

"That was a slap in the face.

"It hasn't respected the heritage of this area and has given the idea it can come in and do whatever they like.

"It will never be the number one sport in Sydney, just like league isn't in Melbourne."

Geyer believes league will defy the growing threat of AFL in the footy code war.

"Without a doubt," he said. "In the last year, Penrith junior league participation rates have increased with 54 extra teams.

"It's a sport kids love which has been 100 years in the making. It's always been a game for all kids — whether they're big, small, slow or fast."

Geyer said officials could do a lot more to ensure rugby league remains on top.

"When I was at Whalan Public School, we had Manly players come out to visit," he said.

"They should look at making registration fees more affordable.

"If new pokie taxes come in, it will hit families in the hip pocket."

Joker's Wild

Coach
Not sure all the doomsayers are really thinking about the kids. I lived in Blacktown most of my life and there were always kids hanging around the streets. I'm told it's a lot worse now.

Can't see AFL seriously threatening League ever and if some of those kids, especially the tall lanky African refugees, want to play a sport then AFL might be their game.

The population is fast outstripping vacancies in League sides and anything to keep kids who are at loose ends on the straight and narrow is ok in my books . . . even AFL.

Thats what we have basketball for

Gippsy

Bench
My point - to counter your point that the Giants are not looking at this generation for fans, but the next. I dont know of a team in any comp that waits for 20 years for it's fans to turn up.

Fair enough, although it's not my point. I was just stating what the AFL strategy is. It is well documented they are looking long term with Western Sydney and will focus on the next generation.

I guess they'll just keep chipping away at the Sydney public for the next 20 years, but as I stated, I think their money-well will dry up before they succeed to the level they want.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Indeed, but that has nothing to do with being an AFL club and everything to do with being an extremely well run sporting business with a massive income, massive fanbase and massive public profile in its city. Everything I would like to see every RL club be!

ps also last time I looked the media weren't going on RLfans to grab my qoutes and publish them!

POPEYE

Coach
The best thing for kids to do is to play team sports but unfortunately AFL doesn't require enough skill to qualify. :lol:

I want my children to learn how to actually catch a ball - not how to scratch and claw and fumble around on the ground, shoving people in the back.

And my son aspires to play for the Kangaroos. The best he can get in the AFL is some stupid flag and a meat pie.

Gee, there are some interesting statements in that lot.

AFL is not a team sport; they can't catch a ball; and you want a Kangaroo team with a hundred thousand players in it.

So what would you suggest that 2nd generation refugees with chips on their shoulders do when all the other sports except AFL have full registers . . . join one of the blossoming street gangs in the west.

Just for the record the only sports that remotely interest me are League, Boxing and Women's Beach Volleyball. I use AFL on a hook.

docbrown

Coach

AFL is not a team sport; they can't catch a ball; and you want a Kangaroo team with a hundred thousand players in it.

You clearly can't read.

I said it wasn't a sport as that by definition requires skill which are in short supply in that uncoordinated abortion of a seagull orgy. I see nothing of value in jumping on or shoving a person in the back or rumaging around and dropping and re-dropping the ball again and again and again.

Also I never said anything about how many people should be on the Kangaroos. All I said was that my son aspires to play for his country something of which fumbleball can never offer him as the closest they come is a bastardised version of gaelic football.

So what would you suggest that 2nd generation refugees with chips on their shoulders do when all the other sports except AFL have full registers . . . join one of the blossoming street gangs in the west.

Go to school. Get jobs.

Why is it your predetermined racist assumption that refugees automatically want to join gangs?

RHCP

Bench
AFL on a hook will not catch nought but a broken record. Perhaps a stronger line would welcome to the task.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

I'm with you popeye. African refugees should be forced join the biggest gang of crooks in the business - Melbourne Storm. If they don't like it, back to the yabbie farm...........if they know how to bait a hook.

Just for the record the only sports that remotely interest me are League, Boxing and Women's Beach Volleyball. I use AFL on a hook.
I'm with you PoPeyE. A man should be allowed to flop out his length to any sport he likes.......provided that Bellamy approves.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fair enough, although it's not my point. I was just stating what the AFL strategy is. It is well documented they are looking long term with Western Sydney and will focus on the next generation.

I guess they'll just keep chipping away at the Sydney public for the next 20 years, but as I stated, I think their money-well will dry up before they succeed to the level they want.
I hope they do. In fact, they will never reach that level.

I love the full registers bit. Like, these sports cant make more teams?

POPEYE

Coach
You clearly can't read.

I said it wasn't a sport as that by definition requires skill which are in short supply in that uncoordinated abortion of a seagull orgy. I see nothing of value in jumping on or shoving a person in the back or rumaging around and dropping and re-dropping the ball again and again and again.

Also I never said anything about how many people should be on the Kangaroos. All I said was that my son aspires to play for his country something of which fumbleball can never offer him as the closest they come is a bastardised version of gaelic football.

Go to school. Get jobs.

Why is it your predetermined racist assumption that refugees automatically want to join gangs?

You really are a f**kwit. Get out into the real world and have a look around you pretentious pompous git

Latest posts